By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prices are so freaking high on the PS store, WHY? (United Kingdom)

US prices exclude VAT, if I'm not mistaken.
The US is also a more accessible market; things are simpler there (everyone speaks English and the laws are by and large the same, unlike in Europe).
There are still good deals in Europe on PSN though. I bought Demon's Souls for 4 Euros (even though I had the disc already, but 4 EUR for the digital version was a no-brainer still)

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
It's not just the PS store it's the same for Xbox.

Digital prices are absolutely terrible in the UK. An all digital console would be horrid here since it would just be so much more expensive than buying all the games physical. Not only that the digital prices don't drop either while retail prices drop quite regularly.

I wasn't going to comment on Xbox as I do not own one but I'm not surprised it's the same.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

lightofhonor said:
UK prices include VAT. US keeps it's tax separate.

Still a lot.

I thought of that... but Steam in the UK is still £40 for launch AAA games.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

why ?
because even if the ps4 is $800 and the games are $120 excluding tax people will still buy it like it is sliced bread ...

maybe a bit exaggerated, but as long as US companies can get away with those prices they will keep them high.

Ka-pi96 said:
Conina said:
There is a huge competition between UK retailers which keeps the retail prices low:
http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/4446129/bloodborne-ps4.html

No competition in the PS store allows higher prices for digital sales.

Do they not compete with retailers? You'd think with them getting more revenue from digital than physical games they'd want to maximise the amount of people that buy digital.

They compete, but within limits. Digital and retail versions of a game are similar, but not the same product; both have advantages and disadvantages.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Conina said:

They compete, but within limits. Digital and retail versions of a game are similar, but not the same product; both have advantages and disadvantages.

If they compete then shouldn't that at least price them the same and not £10-£20 more expensive?

Again: they are similar products but not the same!

Some people prefer digital versions: they don't have to change discs (which will become an even bigger advantage when remote play gets more popular), the discs can't scratch (or become unreadable), the optical drive won't degrade, no noisy installations (spinning discs)...

With a fast internet connection you can play the game a few minutes after you bought it... you can download a 40GB-game within an hour with 100 MBit/s. If you order the retail version from Amazon, you will have to wait at least a day... imports can take weeks to arrive. If you buy the retail game in a store you have to invest time and money (driving to the store, waiting in line...)

Other people prefer retail versions: the game ain't bound to an account, you get a pretty box and a disc, perhaps even a manual or map. And not everyone has a fast internet connection at home.

Even if the pricing of the digital version is initially higher... publishers are much more flexible on pricing digital versions. They can slash the prices for a few days and raise them again after the sale... the controlable time frame allows higher discounts (f.e.: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for €12, less than €10 with reduced PSN-cards) and additional discounts for PS+ members. That doesn't really work as smooth for retail versions.

Ka-pi96 said:
Conina said:

Again: they are similar products but not the same!

Some people prefer digital versions: they don't have to change discs (which will become an even bigger advantage when remote play gets more popular), the discs can't scratch (or become unreadable), the optical drive won't degrade, no noisy installations (spinning discs)...

With a fast internet connection you can play the game a few minutes after you bought it... you can download a 40GB-game within an hour with 100 MBit/s. If you order the retail version from Amazon, you will have to wait at least a day... imports can take weeks to arrive. If you buy the retail game in a store you have to invest time and money (driving to the store, waiting in line...)

Other people prefer retail versions: the game ain't bound to an account, you get a pretty box and a disc, perhaps even a manual or map. And not everyone has a fast internet connection at home.

Even if the pricing of the digital version is initially higher... publishers are much more flexible on pricing digital versions. They can slash the prices for a few days and raise them again after the sale... the controlable time frame allows higher discounts (f.e.: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for €12, less than €10 with reduced PSN-cards) and additional discounts for PS+ members. That doesn't really work as smooth for retail versions.

Yeah, except the issue is they aren't. They start higher and stay that way. Even when Sony or Microsoft have their sales you can often find a brand new copy of the game cheaper at retail. That's the regular price being cheaper than the sale price.

I haven't seen a new retail copy of "Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition" for less than €20/£16 yet, got the PSN version for less than €10.

When I bought the XBL-version of Forza Horizon (360) for €11 in summer 2013 the cheapest retail version was around €25.

The eShop-version of Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) costed €9.99 earlier this year, even used retail versions were over €50 then.

I bought the PSN-version of LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4) for €21 this February, the cheapest retail version was over €30 then.

Knack was available for less than €10 in PSN, haven't seen the retail version for less than €20.

best to buy physical.

If the physical market ever dies, you will be forced to pay whatever PSN/XBL/steam/origin and the others say you must pay... and you're stuck with it even if you dont like the game because you cant re-sell.

Just go on HUKD and you will find a cracking deal on a PS4 game every other day. Right now you can get destiny brand new for £15 at tesco direct or amazon.

edit: I know you said brand new games, but the above was just an example.

Easy solution...
Move to Murca

Ka-pi96 said:
It's not just the PS store it's the same for Xbox.

Digital prices are absolutely terrible in the UK. An all digital console would be horrid here since it would just be so much more expensive than buying all the games physical. Not only that the digital prices don't drop either while retail prices drop quite regularly.

It would be horrid everywhere and not just cause of the outragous prices.