By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is This The Year Microsoft Throws In The Towel On Xbox?

Just because they aren't selling like the PS4 it doesn't means they have to throw the towel. They sold almost 12M consoles and will probably end the gen with anywhere between 65M to 85M units, which is a good number and not that far from what the 360 did. It would be crazy to cancel a product that has these numbers. And going for the logic, Nintendo didn't quit after N64 did 33M and GC did 21M and MS didn't quit after selling 24M OG XB and being screwed by Nvidia.

Not being first equaling a failure is something that only console warriors believe. Having a decent share, 3rd party support, market influence and turning a profit is what matters. If you achieve all of these and not just one or two of them, you are good to continue.

If they somehow decide to quit XB, it won't be caused by the X1 performance. It would happen because the XB division doesn't fit their business strategy anymore. However, with the focus on Xbox Live on Windows 10, X1 streaming and general integration between Xbox, PC and WP, getting rid of the division anytime soon would simply be ridiculous and utter nonsense. Anyone defending these rumours is out of his mind.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:

That is the max I think they will ever sell, taking into account that all those RROD did not go into the 360's total, wich we know is not true, so Im gessing the x1 will sell is 20-25m lt. Maybe good for nintendo, but MS will see this an an insult and will abandon hip before it gets to taht while bleeding money. They wil never compete with steam, but its less money bleading by competing with them then selling hardware at a loss competing with sony.

I'm not a fan of MS, but do you really believe that they will sell 20-25M units lifetime for a console that already sold 12M in a little more than 1 year in the market? It will probably beat that in 2016 if it doesn't manage to do it this year (20M, not 25M), specially with Halo 5.

torok said:
Just because they aren't selling like the PS4 it doesn't means they have to throw the towel. They sold almost 12M consoles and will probably end the gen with anywhere between 65M to 85M units, which is a good number and not that far from what the 360 did. It would be crazy to cancel a product that has these numbers. And going for the logic, Nintendo didn't quit after N64 did 33M and GC did 21M and MS didn't quit after selling 24M OG XB and being screwed by Nvidia.

Not being first equaling a failure is something that only console warriors believe. Having a decent share, 3rd party support, market influence and turning a profit is what matters. If you achieve all of these and not just one or two of them, you are good to continue.

If they somehow decide to quit XB, it won't be caused by the X1 performance. It would happen because the XB division doesn't fit their business strategy anymore. However, with the focus on Xbox Live on Windows 10, X1 streaming and general integration between Xbox, PC and WP, getting rid of the division anytime soon would simply be ridiculous and utter nonsense. Anyone defending these rumours is out of his mind.

While I agree with what you wrote... Xbone won't sell nowhere near 65-85m... forget about that.

There is a .01% chance, which is the same as it is for Sony and Nintendo to commit similar action.

Microsoft have invested a lot in Xbox, and likely have a lot of things in the pipeline for 2016 and 2017. The system is selling fine and it is perfectly possible to be fine with a solid second place finish.

torok said:
eva01beserk said:

That is the max I think they will ever sell, taking into account that all those RROD did not go into the 360's total, wich we know is not true, so Im gessing the x1 will sell is 20-25m lt. Maybe good for nintendo, but MS will see this an an insult and will abandon hip before it gets to taht while bleeding money. They wil never compete with steam, but its less money bleading by competing with them then selling hardware at a loss competing with sony.

I'm not a fan of MS, but do you really believe that they will sell 20-25M units lifetime for a console that already sold 12M in a little more than 1 year in the market? It will probably beat that in 2016 if it doesn't manage to do it this year (20M, not 25M), specially with Halo 5.

Read what I said in a previous post. There are 4 halos, 2 forzas and a tomb raider on x1 already. I know they are new entrys and not  jsut remsters, but at least half of the fans must own an x1 to play wich ever title they love. Halo will sell lots of copys, but it wont move as many consoles s gears would cuz there is no gears for fans to jump to the x1. New Ips are the key here, and I dont think they will have them. Their strategy is moneyhated third partys but this time there is no way they will take third partys from sony. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Augen said:
There is a .01% chance, which is the same as it is for Sony and Nintendo to commit similar action.

Microsoft have invested a lot in Xbox, and likely have a lot of things in the pipeline for 2016 and 2017. The system is selling fine and it is perfectly possible to be fine with a solid second place finish.

Second place means nothing if it means 25m lt with all the investments they made. They have to be like at least 1b in the red by now. Nintendo can take it, so its not the same. They have done it before and fans jumped at the wii after the disaster the gamecube was, their brand will live on on their own by their games, MS has the weakest brand name that only exist in the US and UK and lack the exclusives to keep interest. I dont agree that this is the last year for the xbox, but I do belive they will abandon everything soon to go to pc. Like I said before, they know they wont win against steam, but the fight will be cheaper on pc than the fight with sony on consoles.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Augen said:

Second place means nothing if it means 25m lt with all the investments they made. They have to be like at least 1b in the red by now. Nintendo can take it, so its not the same. They have done it before and fans jumped at the wii after the disaster the gamecube was, their brand will live on on their own by their games, MS has the weakest brand name that only exist in the US and UK and lack the exclusives to keep interest. I dont agree that this is the last year for the xbox, but I do belive they will abandon everything soon to go to pc. Like I said before, they know they wont win against steam, but the fight will be cheaper on pc than the fight with sony on consoles.

Actually I think Nintendo has the weakest brand name, not xbox. Its the reason why Xbox is already beating Nintendo.

super6646 said:
eva01beserk said:

Actually I think Nintendo has the weakest brand name, not xbox. Its the reason why Xbox is already beating Nintendo.

Not really, nintendo might not be selling great now, but it will sell slowly and surely as a second console. We have to admit that they lack the power and multyplats wich are the majority of the games. I as a nintendo fan will get a ps4 first then a wii u cuz I have to admit its lacking on the games front. But where the xbox1 and wii u have the same multyplats, the xbox would be crushed without a doubt.

ethomaz said:
torok said:

While I agree with what you wrote... Xbone won't sell nowhere near 65-85m... forget about that.

Actually I think it will. But no it won't cause you think its just "xbox" and its junk. Or maybe you think it'll sell 5 million a year from now on. Listen, sales are going to be at the very least up this year, and likely next year as well. This year can easily do 10 million, and I think next year could do 13-14 million thanks to price cut and slim model. That gets us at just under 35 million by the end of 2016. After that it could easily hold 10 million a year till 2019. So by the end of 2019, yeah I see around 65 million. Then we have post gen, and that can probably give another 5 million. 70 million right there, but I'm probably overtracking cause its Xbox, right? Lol give me a break.

eva01beserk said:
super6646 said:

Not really, nintendo might not be selling great now, but it will sell slowly and surely as a second console. We have to admit that they lack the power and multyplats wich are the majority of the games. I as a nintendo fan will get a ps4 first then a wii u cuz I have to admit its lacking on the games front. But where the xbox1 and wii u have the same multyplats, the xbox would be crushed without a doubt.

Maybe you should put a bold on when! Cause they at this point 3rd parties have all but abandoned Nintendo. And the orginal Xbox beat the GC, even though 3rd party support wasn't that bad for the GC. Its excuses. If your as big as Nintendo and can't even sell 10 million in 2 years, when you once sold 100 million in 6 years, yeah there's a problem. 3rd parties won't be coming back, and its their fault!