By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Online with the Wii: How does it work?

I am crap with the internet (took me a week to set up our router originally) but I found adding the Wii phenomenally easy... perhaps it was because I never figured out how to add WEP or WPA or whatever... but it looks quite simple to input them looking at the internet settings on Wii.

It's not as if we have a special router either, it was the cheapest in PC world (£50 for a Belkin wireless-b/g)

Around the Network
Griffin said:
The worst part of the wii is that they have wifi instead of an ethernet port. Thats one way to cut out over 90% of wii owners from going online.  And going online with wifi sucks i could never figure the shit out, the stupid guides never work.

thats actually the only reason i got my wii online, because of wifi

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong

Serious question:

What's the difference between a friend code and a code for a game?

You have to add friends to your console, then to separate games?

The main Wii-code pretty much just enables messaging and sending Miis, you don't need it for games.
Some Nintendo games have their own codes to play online... I personally have no problem with a number instead of a nametag, but why is it so hard to just have 1 code that encompasses all online?

@ TwRoO

Okay, so it's basically like having multiple gamertags?

Around the Network

Playing with Wii online is child's play : just go in the settings and set up your wi fi connection and you are done (all you need is your Wi Fi connection codes etc.).

All you have to do is go in a game and start an online game. That's it if you want to play at random etc.

If you want to play with friends, you have to ask their code for each game and input it in your Wii. Then you can play against or with them.

All other functions are accessible on the Wii Main Page (Weather chanel, news, Famous Mii Channel, Votes and Virtual Console), you just have to point on it and access it directly.

I really don't have anything bad to say on this free online functions...

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

And get free  rare card.  Enjoy !

This is what I have done:

I went to that envelope--the one that's telling me I played Brawl for 9 hours and 46 minutes yesterday--and I clicked the thing that says "create message". I registered a friend code the address book. But, when I go to send a message, it tells me I have to wait for that person to add me. Did I do something wrong here?

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Didn't do anything wrong, he has to add you. Nintendo is scared that people you don't know try to contact you. So you have to call him,email him or something before you can communicate with him through your wii

Wii code:                                        Mario Kart wii:
6586-0674-1620-6955                        0344-9880-0252
PM me if you added me and I'll add you:)

Self-proclaimed, biggest Resident Evil Fanboy of VGChartz!

Slash said:
Didn't do anything wrong, he has to add you. Nintendo is scared that people you don't know try to contact you. So you have to call him,email him or something before you can communicate with him through your wii

So I can't play people online until they add me back? 

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Griffin said:
kenzomatic said:
TWRoO said:
You can use a USB to ethernet connection Griffin... I think you have to buy it online (not sold in shops for some reason) but it is possible.

However there would be no way for me (and a lot of people) to connect via wire because it would have to go from one corner of my room across to my door, along the hall and into my parents room then to the other side of that to get to the modem.

It is sold at stores. And most people don't have an either net cord in there living room so Wirless works great for most people. Also there is like a billion ways to set up your wireless.

But Nintendo should of included an ethernet port, now people need to spend an additonal $30 to buy some adapter.  And i have tried to get my wireless to work on my consoles, i have follwed all the guides about entering the wep codes or the SSiD and the wifi still won't connect.

If you really do have troble connecting, then what brand your wireless router is, and what consoles have you tried to connect? Is networks password correct? Does your router have "turbo mode" or something similar? On a side note, if you have AOSS compatible (Buffalo) router and DS or Wii with firmware 3.x, you need to press one button on router and click one button on Wii/DS network settings, and your console is online. A lot easier than playing with ethernet cables. Actually putting the console online with Wi-Fi is easier than doing the same with ethernet...

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.