By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So can we expect 5 year cycles for Zelda (console) games from now on?

Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:
This is being delayed for NX launch. Just like Twilight Princess was. Nintendo is just giving a PR spin answer.

So cross gen? Or exclusive to NX?

Probably same deal as Twilight Princess ... will launch for NX first and be made a NX priority, a small Wii U release might be farted out after. 

If people are really honest with themselves, Nintendo generally doesn't support failing platforms as much as people think they do. 

They pulled the plug on the Virtual Boy within six months and even the GameCube ... they treated it like a red headed step child after 2004. They moved Zelda away to Wii same with Super Paper Mario and a new Fire Emblem, none of the core Nintendo teams (EAD, Retro) worked on any major GameCube only project after 2004 other than DK: Jungle Beat which was basically an experiment BONGO game, lol, just made to have the EAD Tokyo division have a game under their belt. 

They are supporting the Wii U just enough to not piss off people who bought one too badly, that's all they see the Wii U as, something that they have to ride out. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:
This is being delayed for NX launch. Just like Twilight Princess was. Nintendo is just giving a PR spin answer.

So cross gen? Or exclusive to NX?

Probably same deal as Twilight Princess ... will launch for NX first and be made a NX priority, a small Wii U release might be farted out after. 

If people are really honest with themselves, Nintendo generally doesn't support failing platforms as much as people think they do. 

They pulled the plug on the Virtual Boy within six months and even the GameCube ... they treated it like a red headed step child after 2004. They moved Zelda away to Wii same with Super Paper Mario and a new Fire Emblem, none of the core Nintendo teams (EAD, Retro) worked on any major GameCube only project after 2004 other than DK: Jungle Beat which was basically an experiment BONGO game, lol, just made to have the EAD Tokyo division have a game under their belt. 

They are supporting the Wii U just enough to not piss off people who bought one too badly, that's all they see the Wii U as, something that they have to ride out. 

Welp. I'll get this game on Wii U and won't care for the NX until the next Zelda is on shelves. I'll delay my purchase to get from my money the best and exceed expectations.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Honestly I think Nintendo needs to focus on getting games within the first or second year and 2 games within its lifetime, even if that means simpler games. Maybe even settle for 2 handheld games and 1 console game. As it stands currently the IP itself has had less and less significance.

Below is mostly main games, some of the really crap tertiary games (especially the Hyrule Warriors one which imo is not even close to a Zelda game are exlcuded).

NES NA releases in 1985 ( within 2 years, 2 games )
- Legend of Zelda 1987
- The Adventure of Link 1988
Game Boy NA releases 1989 ( 4 year drought, 1 game ) Not a good system for zelda
- Links Awakening 1993
SNES NA releases in 1991 ( 1 year, 1 game ) Best game, but the only game
- A Link to the Past 1992
N64 NA releases in 1996 ( within 2 years, 2 games )
- Ocarina of Time 1998
- Majora's Mask 2000
Game Boy Color NA releases 2000 ( within a year, 2ish games )
- Oracle of Seasons/Ages 2001
- 4 Swords 2002 (but is a remake so barely counts)
Game Boy Advance NA releases 2001 ( 4 year drought, 1 game )
-The Minish Cap 2005
Gamecube NA releases 2001 ( within 2 years, 3ish games)
- The Wind Waker 2003
- Four Swords Adventures 2004
- Twilight Princess 2006
DS NA eleases 2004 ( within 3 years, 2 games )
- Phantom Hourglass 2007
- Spirit Tracks 2009
Wii NA releases 2006 ( within a month, 2 games )
- Twilight Princess 2006 ( counts, but in reality it was meant for the GC )
- Skyward Sword 2011
3DS releases 2011 ( within 2 years, 1 game )
- A Link Between Worlds 2013
Wii U NA releases 2012 ( within 3 years no games )

Starting with consoles from the first game 1987.

NES: 1 year between games. Two games on the same system within 3 years of the consoles release.
SNES: 4 years till the next game. One game on the system within 1 year.
N64: 6 years till the next game. Two games on the same system within 4 years.
GC: 3 years till the next game. Three-ish games on the same system within 5 years. If you discount TP, 2-ish games within 3 years.
Wii: 5 years till the next game. Two-ish games on the same system within 5 years. If you discount TP, 1 game within 5 years.
Wii U: 4 years still still since last game.

Handhelds from the first game in 1993.

GB: One game within 4 years.
GBC: 8 bloody years till the next game. Two-ish games within 2 years.
GBA: 2-3 years till the next game (depending on if you thought 4 swords was an actual worthy game). 1 game within 4 years.
DS: 2 years till the next game. 2 games within 5 years.
3DS: 4 years still the next game. 1 game within 2 years.

This all leads me to believe that it is taking longer and longer for Nintendo to make these games, even if you discount blips like GBC and N64.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Possibly... they have been delaying the gaps with remakes but now they have basically run out of Zelda games to remake so maybe not.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

JazzB1987 said:
I wish we would get a new Zelda+engine and then using the same engine a second story like MM every 2or3 years.

I dont want to play 5 zelda games on consoles and then suddenly think "da fuck? I am 50years old?"

LMFAO.

I agree though. Reusing the same engine would be more cost efficient and keep fans happy. 

1doesnotsimply