By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Strategy Predictions

I personally think the following will happen in April '08, a few weeks before the release of GTAIV, so that it can compete with the X360's likely price cut.

US-I don't expect much of a price drop here due to the poor currency value lately.

80Gb $500->$450

40Gb $400->$350

EU-I expect high price cuts here and to introduce an SKU with the highly demanded BC.

40Gb £300/€400($600)->£250/€325($500)

Introduction of 80Gb SKU at £300/€400

JP- I don't know pricing her, but i think it will have similar cuts to th US, and introduce an SKU with the highly demanded BC.

Introduction of 80Gb SKU

What are you predictions on the PS3 pricing and SKU strategies?

Around the Network

Well I think they will do something about EU because the prices are just too high. What you mentioned seems reasonable, I really hope we do get a price cut in North America though.

I personally think that if MS is planning a price cut, then Sony would already know about it, and would've already decided what to do about it. Since they announced that the MGS4 bundle would be $499 in June, then there's probably no price cut on the way until sometime after (most likely around the holidays again).

Edit: In NA at least, as that's the only place that the MGS4 bundle's price has been announced.  They made drop the price in other territories to make up for the falling value of the USD.  

Only if MS cuts their price in most of the regions.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

PS3 is selling well enough for them to not do much.

Seriously, the price isn't the biggest issue, game is. Give us more games!! I'd much have 10 good exclusive than 100 bucks of price-cut

*note, I might be biased since I already own a PS3*. lol

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

I think what you have said seems about right! I am inclined to agree with kingofwale though, as the PS3 is selling much much better this year than it has done in the past so there would be no need for a price-cut really, but since MS are doing one (rumoured) then i would imagine Sony will want to take damage control by having one too!

wait, Japan and Europe doesn't have a ps3 with bc? damn

Currently Watching - Naruto, One Piece

Waiting For - Skyrim, Mass Effect 3

PS3 Trophies

makingmusic476 said:

I personally think that if MS is planning a price cut, then Sony would already know about it, and would've already decided what to do about it. Since they announced that the MGS4 bundle would be $499 in June, then there's probably no price cut on the way until sometime after (most likely around the holidays again).

Edit: In NA at least, as that's the only place that the MGS4 bundle's price has been announced. They made drop the price in other territories to make up for the falling value of the USD.

On this matter I find interesting to note this: SONY always bundled a game with the 80GB SKU since its launch back in august 2007, but while the addiction of Motorstorm could probably not look so attractive for customers  - MS was a new IP already released a few months before -  this bundle, coming with a DS3 and a game of an established franchise like Metal Gear Solid, a potential system seller on its day one, may really look like a good addiction in terms of value for the 80Gb model.

What I find interesting here is that in the same time this could also outshadow the 40GB model's value, if sold at $399 and finally hurt its sales. Let's not forget that the 40GB model was the one SONY launched to spread its market...and I don't think anything changed in SONY's mind.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some announcements from SCE about its lower end sku in the upcoming months

CUT THE PRICE BEFORE MS DOES DO IT DO IT.

50 dollar price cut in states

100 dollar price cut in EU. prices are to fucking high. i dont know why they buy ps3's at those prices. maybe its cause many european coutnries are developed? ahah alol wtf has nothing to do with it. cut the fucking price in europe by 100 bucks and those gt5p bundles will fly off the shelves.

I think a higher value bundle is all that we will be getting. MGS 4> MS, and we are getting free games in Europe, so we should not be complaining