By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Female Link is now a thing?? smh.

Fuk you female Link! 88 100.00%

Total:88
the_dengle said:

What is the difference between Leaf and "gender-bent" Link? Why is Link's gender such a big deal? There are a dozen different Links. The only thing they all share in common is that they have a hero's spirit. Creating a new character who shares that spirit but is female simply results in a female Link, because Link is, by necessity, the reincarnation of the Spirit of the Hero (except in Wind Waker in which he was the most badass big brother ever and re-established the Spirit of the Hero in a timeline that lacked one). That reincarnation can be female. It doesn't mean Skyward Sword Link or the Hero of Time are being changed to a girl.

Yeah Link could be a girl and it would still fit with the Zelda timeline.

I guess some people are upset because if Samus was a guy in the next Metroid game, females would be angry. Therefore people should be angry about Link being a girl too. I don't agree with this though because it's more logical for Link to have a different gender than Samus would. So of course females would be angry if Samus is a guy in the next Metroid game. In fact EVERYONE should be angry/upset if that happened. It wouldn't make any sense if Samus suddenly changes her gender (unless she wants to be transgender) in a new game. But if Link's gender change, it isn't because he's a transgender (which isn't a problem). It's because every Link is different in non-sequel Zelda games.

Around the Network
onionberry said:
pkmnMasterWheeeIer said:
We're always looking at it from the perspective of just having Link be female in a game. What if you just got to choose Link's gender at the beginning, I mean they say Link is supposed to be more of an "insert yourself here" character, and most games with a protagonist like that let you choose the characters gender, like Pokemon.

but why a female Link and why not a new female hero or Zelda. Link is a character, in your gif he has more emotions than a typical bethesda main character. I mean, if link is reincarnated as a female, then why not female ganondorf and male zelda... because that sounds stupid and useless for the franchise.

The simplist way  would be have say either Zelda /Shiek playable for a portion of the game  , I know that this wouldn't stop people from wanting a female link but it might take some hat out of the debate , because you dont have a choice since Link is the playable character , to change gender will only divide the community hence my earlier suggestion, about opening up not all but sections of the game to other characters  , to me link is an elvish person and they tend to be portrayed has having fine features, so to me it's not Link looks girly but link looks elvish.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

omg this comment section looks like a polygon comment section... bye!

There is no "female Link". Link is Link. It's a person. A male person.
Just like there is no male Samus, because Samus is a girl.

And like others have already stated, just imagine the "male oppression" outrage if people actually wanted Samus to be male...

If they actually offered you a choice, wouldn't that lessen the story? Because, multiple characters would mean that any one of those could become the hero of time/master sword/bane of evil etc. In other words, there would not be anything special about the character you're playing, you just stumble upon the sword and the triforce. That would mess with the story. Artistic integrity, please. Link is Link, and if you want a different lead then ask Nintendo for spinoff games.

FragilE^ said:
If they actually offered you a choice, wouldn't that lessen the story? Because, multiple characters would mean that any one of those could become the hero of time/master sword/bane of evil etc. In other words, there would not be anything special about the character you're playing, you just stumble upon the sword and the triforce. That would mess with the story. Artistic integrity, please. Link is Link, and if you want a different lead then ask Nintendo for spinoff games.

I think you need to reconsider what makes Link the hero. He doesn't stumble upon anything. He earns that shit. So yes, a reasonable theme for a Zelda game would be that there isn't anything inherently special about Link in particular and that anyone could earn the Master Sword and the Triforce if they are worthy. In fact, this was presumed to be the case in every Zelda game until more recent entries started playing around with this idea that Link is born a hero.

There is no comparison to be made with Samus. Link is not a person. Link is many people. You guys have noticed that no one is asking why Mario can't be a girl, or why Fox McCloud can't be a girl, or why Captain Olimar can't be a girl, or why Donkey Kong can't be a girl, or why Pit can't be a girl, etc etc etc, right? It is only Link. That is because this isn't about pushing an agenda. It is simply about pointing out that Link can be a girl, and that it would not be detrimental to the series for such an option to be offered.

Around the Network
FragilE^ said:
There is no "female Link". Link is Link. It's a person. A male person.
Just like there is no male Samus, because Samus is a girl.

And like others have already stated, just imagine the "male oppression" outrage if people actually wanted Samus to be male...

Link and Samus are different though, in the same way Mario and Link are different. Mario and Samus are defined characters that are the same person in every title they appear in, Link is a "link" between the player and the game and often comes across as a genderless nothing character who is a different living being nearly each title (excluding direct sequels). So if you were going to have a have a character that has a gender choice, Link would be the way to go. Personally, I wouldn't mind if there was a female choice, Commander Shepard style, and I think it could help freshen up the game for current day standards. There would be huge amounts of positive PR and people would want to get their hands on a Wii U to see how a Zelda title plays with a female character lead.

"Because, multiple characters would mean that any one of those could become the hero of time/master sword/bane of evil etc. In other words, there would not be anything special about the character you're playing, you just stumble upon the sword and the triforce."

There wouldn't be multiple characters though, it would be like two different dimensions, one where the Hero reincarnated as a girl, and the other a boy. Both destined to become the Hero that generation just in seperate universes. Just because the hero would be female this time doesn't mean they would be less special. None of the Heroes are related as far as we have seen, they are just individuals that expressed great courage in a time of need and earnt the Triforce of Courage. Link isn't Ganondorf or Zelda, as Ganondorf is immortal and the Zelda family tree means that every girl born into the family is named Zelda. So they are two constants, Link has been born to many different families and has had many different names due to customisation, so making a gender choice is just that one step further.

NNID: TanukiTrooper - PSN: MatrosRx - STEAM: TanukiTrooper

axumblade said:

This thread reminds me that I need or order this shirt...

The guy in that pic looks pretty "child molestery".

And (of course you know) Zelda was a girl in OoT.... And Link was a girl in Skyward Sword.

I hope Sony offers a female version of Kratos in GoW3 Remastered and GoW 4 as an option. ;)

Dunno if it was posted already, but...

Link is a boy, because the Legend says so in multiple games. It's just the way it is, the way Miyamoto envisioned the character. There's no changing that without a d*mn good reason, and "just because" isn't a good reason. I'm okay with it if it was optional in a spin-off game like Hyrule Warriors and it could be a fun addition, but for the main canon series there is a continuity to uphold.

I don't see why this is an issue anyway, there are games with male leads, and games with female leads. There's also games where you have the choice, because that fits the overal story of such games. That's just how a certain game's story goes. On a side-note, in RPG's that give me a choice I usually find it more fun to play as a female, because the interaction between party members and the story becomes more interesting.

If people really want more representation of female lead-roles in video games, then please campaign for new IP's to use females, instead of boring me with a crusade in trying to change the foundation of a several decade old legacy for no good reason whatsoever.