By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think I figured out why PS4 is really winning in sales against XB1.

withdreday said:
Samus Aran said:

It isn't better. Reviewers prefer to review the PS4 game whenever there's a multiplatform title.

And? That happened with the 360 last gen as well.

That tends to happen when it's known which platform that game will run better on which in this case is the PS4.

Are we talking about the 360 in this thread?

No. But thanks for the obvious.

Around the Network

Entered this thread looking for a laugh, was rewarded with Metacritic.

In all seriousness, it is the system "everyone" owns, and the diverse and quickly expanding library is only reinforcing both the appeal and perception of superiority & value.

TheObserver said:
Samus Aran said:

Except your arguments are deeply flawed.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/diablo-iii-ultimate-evil-edition

It only has 18 reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/diablo-iii-ultimate-evil-edition

This scores 4 points higher even though it's the exact same game and it has 63 reviews.

You're basically saying that PS4 is winning because it has PS3 ports.

PS4 is winning because:

- Better hardware

- Cheaper price initially

- MS fucked up big time at E3 2013 with their DRM policies. It still haunts them today as it ruined their reputation.

- Stronger brand: the PS brand is much more popular outside of the USA than the xbox brand.

What good exclusives does the PS4 even have currently?

What do you consider a good exclusive?

There's also the fact that exclusives only matter if you're only getting one of the two consoles, which in turn makes the concept of exclusives meaningless cause now the entire library of the console is equally exclusive as far as you're concerned cause you only have that console.

simple fact of the matter is PS4's library is over 40% larger in sheer size, and is better rated by a similar margin.

BTW, Diablo 3 runs better on PS4 so it's not so surprising that it has a better score on PS4. We live in an era where LBP 3 got a 79 while LBP 1&2 got 90+ despite LBP offering numerous improvements but having some performance issues. FPS dips are serious business for reviewers these days.

Except the PS4 library isn't 40% larger. 

When The Order reviews came in all I heard here was how metacritic is useless.

Now it's useful again?

Samus Aran said:
TheObserver said:

What do you consider a good exclusive?

There's also the fact that exclusives only matter if you're only getting one of the two consoles, which in turn makes the concept of exclusives meaningless cause now the entire library of the console is equally exclusive as far as you're concerned cause you only have that console.

simple fact of the matter is PS4's library is over 40% larger in sheer size, and is better rated by a similar margin.

BTW, Diablo 3 runs better on PS4 so it's not so surprising that it has a better score on PS4. We live in an era where LBP 3 got a 79 while LBP 1&2 got 90+ despite LBP offering numerous improvements but having some performance issues. FPS dips are serious business for reviewers these days.

Except the PS4 library isn't 40% larger. 

When The Order reviews came in all I heard here was how metacritic is useless.

Now it's useful again?

It's not 40% larger, it's OVER 40% larger.

If you can find a post by me saying metacritic is useless, do provide a link.

Walk into any store that sells video games and you'll find that the PS4 and X1 have a similar amount of games on display...

There's a very simple reason why PS4 has dominated and it has nothing to do with games or hardware... It's because Microsoft took a dump on consumers at E3 in 2013 and priced themselves initially $100 above the PS4.

Metacritic is horrible to use in this argument, because by that logic the Wii U should be curbstomping the competition.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network
PenguinZ said:

Walk into any store that sells video games and you'll find that the PS4 and X1 have a similar amount of games on display...

There's a very simple reason why PS4 has dominated and it has nothing to do with games or hardware... It's because Microsoft took a dump on consumers at E3 in 2013 and priced themselves initially $100 above the PS4.

Metacritic is horrible to use in this argument, because by that logic the Wii U should be curbstomping the competition.

Retailers are a terrible way to judge the size of a console's library cause none of them carry the whole library of any console.

Also according to metacritic, Wii U library is very similar in size and critical reception to XBOX ONE. And XB1 and Wii U also have very similar hardware sales, I think you just shot your argument in the face due to ignorance.

PS4 is winning because Microsoft tried to make some bold moves and gamers said no thanks. On top of that they handled things incredibly shitty and confused the hell out of people. To top it off they released the weaker console, and priced it too high for many to bite. It created a huge buzz for PS4 and Sony took advantage.

Chazore said:
When the competition fucks up and you don't of course you being the only one who didn't fuck up would look amazing in the eyes of others, we can't bring age as an argument itno this since Nintendo is far older and brought consoles to where they are from the crash.

It's more about how Microsoft fucked up with their e3, their pricing factually was more than the PS4's, of course by marketing standards people would normally buy something that is cheaper than the other if it does the same thing if not better, the kinect camera also didn't help since the camera was never a one hit wonder just like the Move.

I hear a lot about the general public not knowing but really when I popped into my local GAME store a few times during 2013 and 2014 I could hear parents talking about the e3 that went down and what happened, news people generally gathered from newspapers and blogs, facebook feeds, the casual crowd can and does use facebook which is a place where ifno like that can easily spread and translate to the masses, the casuals aren't completely braindead, even my stepdad who hardly plays any games besides pac-man found out what happened with MS through a weekly newspapers.

I wouldn't go using meta scores though, all they are is just score points, you can still get a game that scores bad and still sell well or have a cult following, it;s more to do with what happened with e3, the marketing and pricing of both units that are what they are now.

I still believe MS can turn things around though, they've already done a faster few 180's than Sony did last gen and Sony managed to turn things around after selling at a loss and not getting as much treatment as the 360 had last gen, MS only happens to be in Sony's position from last gen, they'll turn it around eventually.

I have to respectfully disagree with the last part.

Sony had the smash success of the PS1 and PS2 under their wing when they screwed up with the PS3, so at least they had a great blue print to follow. Xbox on the other hand has had a massive loss with the first Xbox (4 Billion to be exact) and only moderate success with the 360, which even that was tempered with a bit of dumb look with Sony fucking up the research and development of the Cell so bad, that MS saw the specs and could adjust the power of their console accordingly (Google it if you think I'm making it up).

But overall for Xbox as a brand, it's been DoA in Japan, competitive in EU, but still can't catch up to PlayStation, and strongly relying on it's stronghold in the US which is all but gone now.

Do you know of any electronic brand, gaming or otherwise, that's ever taken down it's competition having to write off one major region? I sure don't.

It's looking more and more like the 360 was just a one hit wonder, and with the losses the Xbox division is posting while getting blasted in all 3 regions, you could possibly be looking at Microsoft's last venture in the console market.

Don't be afraid to say that you heard it here first.

Microsoft were never going to win worldwide unless they launched with a head start, they didn't so they can't.

Samus Aran said:
withdreday said:

And? That happened with the 360 last gen as well.

That tends to happen when it's known which platform that game will run better on which in this case is the PS4.

Are we talking about the 360 in this thread?

No. But thanks for the obvious.

Looks like someone needs to learn the meaning of the word "example".

lololol