By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - OFFICIAL NX thread: Does Cloud confirm FF7 appearance on NX???

What's the name of the NX!?

Dolphin 17 8.17%

Fusion 113 54.33%

starbox 13 6.25%

Link 18 8.65%

gameslate 3 1.44%

pu 44 21.15%

Total:208

NX discussion and theories should go in here

Around the Network

The Wii U is a bomb- a complete and utter, dismal failure, of the kind that the mainstream gaming industry has not seen since the Sega Saturn. It has a great lineup, and Nintendo has done its best to support it, but its lifetime sales still aren’t even matching those of Sega’s Dreamcast- two and a half years after its initial reveal.

In a context such as this, with all games output for the Wii U basically drying up, all eyes are on Nintendo’s next console, the NX, announced under mysterious circumstances, but not discussed at all. Nintendo has remained cagey about it entirely, deferring all conversation and discussion of their next throw of the gauntlet to next year, but in an interview with NPR, famed Nintendo mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto let slip his aspirations for the system.

After Wii U, we’re hoping that [the NX] will be a very big hit,” he said.

He also discussed the reasons for the Wii U’s failure in a surprisingly candid answer.

“I don’t think it’s just price, because if the system is appealing enough, people will buy it even if the price is a little bit high,” Miyamoto said. “I think with Wii U, our challenge was that perhaps people didn’t understand the system. But also I think that we had a system that’s very unique — and, particularly with video game systems, typically it takes the game system a while to boot up. And we thought that with a tablet-type functionality connected to the system, you could have the rapid boot-up of tablet-type functionality, you could have the convenience of having that touch control with you there on the couch while you’re playing on a device that’s connected to the TV, and it would be a very unique system that could introduce some unique styles of play.

“I think unfortunately what ended up happening was that tablets themselves appeared in the marketplace and evolved very, very rapidly, and unfortunately the Wii system launched at a time where the uniqueness of those features were perhaps not as strong as they were when we had first begun developing them. So what I think is unique about Nintendo is we’re constantly trying to do unique and different things. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they’re not as big of a hit as we would like to hope.”

Whatever the reasons for the Wii U’s failure – and there are many – I hope that Nintendo has learned a lot of lessons from the Wii U’s failure, and that it has taken a good, long, and hard look at how it approaches the console market. They cannot afford to fail again with the next system. It is now do or die time for them.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-we-hope-the-nx-will-be-a-very-big-hit#MKAtw01XJo5MzlR9.99

Here's hoping the NX will succeed where the Wii U could not.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

What does everyone think Nintendo should name the NX?
Should they stick with wii? Or move onto something else?

I will go with the name NX

It was and will be a good name

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:
theprof00 said:
You can't play every game on wiiU on 3ds, because it's simply not possible. Likewise, there will be games on Nx that simply cannot be played on other hardware.

The reason it's not possible for Wii U & 3DS to share a unified software library is because they have completely different architectures, the Wii U GPU is 73x more powerful than the 3DS GPU (4.8 gflop vs 352 gflop) and Wii U has 16x as much RAM as 3DS (128 mb vs 2 gb).

If they shared the same architecture & operating system and were much closer in power, say 300 gflop/2gb RAM vs 1.2 tflop/8gb RAM, than they could feasibly share a library just at different resolutions/graphics settings, 540p vs 1080p with better lighting/AA/etc.

You keep touting this and touting this and touting this as if its definitely feasible. I've worked on porting/co-developing games on consoles and handhelds. It is not that simple. Running on two different platforms regardless of the fact that they may or may not share a similar operating system, developer tools, and same architecture does not in any way mean scaling is in any way arbitrary or simple. It doesn't work that way.

You would need to completely change how video games are developed just to accomdate this platform. Developer kits would cost an extraodinary amount extra, development time would be longer, or would require more people. Engine development would be more complicated. For each platform you would need completely different 3D models (characters/landscapes/everything), completely different textures, system-specific animations (rigging), different qualities of audio and video, different lighting techniques, different draw distances, different UIs that don't look like crap when scaled. These would have to be made and maintained separately to ensure optimal performance on each console. Resource managment during development would be a nightmare.

The biggest hurdle, however, is creating a game storage medium that would more or less have to store two games at once. All of those extra assets I'm talking about, that take up about 90% of a game disk/cartridges storage space, and now you're more or less doubling it. Those cartridges/disks are not going to be cheap to produce, especially if they are proprietary.

Now you may be saying "well you could just develop for one platform or another to keep costs down". I've worked with Nintendo directly before, they are absolutely anal and strict on the vision they have, and the image they want to project. If they wish to market the concept of  "One game. One disk. Multiple platforms", exceptions  will be few and far between, lest they confuse parents/grandparents even further. Then again they did name two entirely separate consoles "Wii" and "wii u" much to the irriation of gamestop employees everywhere.

Either way, it's not nearly that easy, and not nearly that simple. Please stop acting like it is.

Not to mention Developing a game for one console and not properly optimizing for the other will result in terrible performance (extreme frame rate fluxuations, frame dropping, ect). I doubt Nintendo would sacrifice the quality of their games like that.... It just isn't them. It will never be as easy as making just one game and running it on two systems. I completely agree.

true developing games for multiple consoles isn't that easy... but at the current technology it can be optimized. it is just the lazy developers who wouldn't do that and still release it.  

NX storage on games would be on the console itself. so it may have sync with the NX handheld storage device if NX is really a fusion thing.  games can sync the saved games and it won't be saved on the cartridge. proof didn't mention it is easy, he mentioned it is more feasible to have a unified architecture and design from it. it is like your Vita and PS3 games for One Piece, or other games out there... but as of the moment separately being sold. so it is possible.

It would really be full of speculation and it might be true or not but that is why we are here on forums to speculate, things can be out of proportion, people would think radically or not.  it happens..

one example of bad optimization under a x86 architecture, PC, PS4 and X1 for the recent Batman game.  The PC version have negative feedback due to optimization.  So if NX has a unified architecture yes you can develop games under the same architecture but different optimizations. feasible yes, would it be hard to do it, it may or may not, depending on the scale of the game...

theprof00 said:
What does everyone think Nintendo should name the NX?
Should they stick with wii? Or move onto something else?

Definitely not the Wii. That would be a death sentence for the console. I like NX or NeXt or Fusion. Although I do think Nintendo NeXt has the best ring to it.

Also, thanks for making this thread. You are a godsend. 

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

I think it's formal name will be: Nintendo Entertainment Experience.

But it'll be more commonly known by an acronym: NEX

So similar nomenclature as NES, SNES. Gotta rekindle the glory days, amirite?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
I think it's formal name will be: Nintendo Entertainment Experience.

But it'll be more commonly known by an acronym: NEX

So similar nomenclature as NES, SNES. Gotta rekindle the glory days, amirite?

When I think about how to name a system I think about how it will be said in real life, by kids, and consumers at large.

NEX is interesting, but I feel like the marketing landscape has changed since those days, sort of like how television changed the political landscape.
A good name needs to be unique (for search results in google), roll off the tongue, and sound interesting with the brandname before it while simultaneously giving life to the conceptual product.

I just picked up an NEX. Is that available on NEX? Do you have an NEXes? hmmm I dunno. maybe. Definitely an good possibility.

The Nintendo Nbetrayed Xexpectations.