By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Nintendo should have done instead (in my opinion)

MikeRox said:

I just hope this points towards a unified eco system for their home and portable platforms.

Nintendo has been talking about this for a while now. It seems like a guarantee. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-s-next-console-and-mobile-will-be-like-brothers/1100-6417496/

Nintendo won't face these issues going forward beyond the Wii U and 3DS, Iwata said, because the company's new unified approach will allow consoles and handhelds to become "like brothers in a family of systems."

Finally, Iwata said he remains unsure if the form factor of its next platforms will be integrated to establish some kind of hybrid system. Instead, he said the opposite might be true; that the number of form factors could increase in the way that multiple devices can run iOS and Android. This will all depend on consumer demand, he said.

"The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples," Iwata said, referencing iOS and Android. "Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future."

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Lol no, thats a terrible business descision. What they have announced is beyond the best I could have expected of them... and yet I expect more.

Please explain why. This service would fix a lot of problems like the lack of games or the small userbase.

Thats not really a better solution... We saw how much they struggled with making games for a new hardware with the wiiu but doing that for pc... That would be death for them cause there is soo many kinds of hardware combinations

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Ka-pi96 said:
PxlStorm said:
Ka-pi96 said:
PxlStorm said:

They'd have to give some of their revenue made off of these games to Sony and Microsoft. And pretty much everybody who has a PS4 and XBox One would have access to this new platform as well.

That's arguable. Plenty of people don't have great gaming computers and plenty don't particularly like gaming on PC either. Look at the huge sales differences between console and PC games. Not just the actual numbers, look at the revenue, console gamers are willing to pay more up front than PC gamers are.

Here in the UK the cost of a brand new console game is £40-£50, while the cost of a new PC game is £30-£40. The amount they'd have to pay out in platform royalties would effectively be covered by that. Not to mention they could get marketing agreements with the console makers (as most other publishers do), saving them money on advertising and boosting their sales.

But the Wii U has an audience of 9-10m owners. The PC service would certainly open up a bigger userbase than before, which would obviously help sales as well. And as I stated in my post, most Nintendo games have a low graphical level. I don't have a dedicated gaming PC and yet my PC can still run most of the games from 2013 and 2014.

But by neglecting the console userbase they'd losing out on a lot of potential sales. They'd make much more money being multiplat than PC exclusive.

That said, if it was possible it may not be a bad idea to copy Microsoft and keep the console going and also release on their own exclusive PC marketplace. That gives them some of the benefits you propose by increasing their potential audience but it still gives them the possibility to get console sales. This approach however would make getting 3rd party multiplats on their consoles even more important so that it makes their console more competitive despite only having partial rather than full exclusives.

This service could not co-exist with a Nintendo console because, like you said,the console wouldn't be able to compete against the other consoles. This is why the PC service idea is good in my eyes. It wouldn't need to compete against the other services because it's for free, just like Steam, Uplay and so on.

"In my opinion Nintendo should have given up hardware creation. No, they shouldn't produce games for the Playstation/Xbox. No, not for mobile devices either. The best thing would probably be to create a PC platform like Steam, UPlay or Origin."

NEVER.

That's the one only thing I don't want them to do. They can do whatever else the f they want. Hardware must be made imo, it's the heart of this expansion to also phones/pc/stuff.

Around the Network
WhiteEaglePL said:
"In my opinion Nintendo should have given up hardware creation. No, they shouldn't produce games for the Playstation/Xbox. No, not for mobile devices either. The best thing would probably be to create a PC platform like Steam, UPlay or Origin."

NEVER.

That's the one only thing I don't want them to do. They can do whatever else the f they want. Hardware must be made imo, it's the heart of this expansion to also phones/pc/stuff.

Why not? The hardware sales will fall because people will be happy enough with their smartphones games. And they apperently plan to make PC games as well, so there's that as well.

Ka-pi96 said:
PxlStorm said:
Ka-pi96 said:

But by neglecting the console userbase they'd losing out on a lot of potential sales. They'd make much more money being multiplat than PC exclusive.

That said, if it was possible it may not be a bad idea to copy Microsoft and keep the console going and also release on their own exclusive PC marketplace. That gives them some of the benefits you propose by increasing their potential audience but it still gives them the possibility to get console sales. This approach however would make getting 3rd party multiplats on their consoles even more important so that it makes their console more competitive despite only having partial rather than full exclusives.

This service could not co-exist with a Nintendo console because, like you said,the console wouldn't be able to compete against the other consoles. This is why the PC service idea is good in my eyes. It wouldn't need to compete against the other services because it's for free, just like Steam, Uplay and so on.

Except it does compete with Steam, Uplay, Origin and consoles. The primary purpose of having a storefront like that is to sell 3rd party software and get royalties from that in addition to your own. If they are just selling their own stuff then they would just be better off releasing on steam etc.

That would work, but they'd have to give a part of their revenue to them as well. Nintendo doesn't give in that easily.

There will always be dedicated gamers.

Perhaps the children playing apps would buy consoles when they grow up to like 12 or something. Nothing is set in stone yet, so I think Nintendo choosing to support Phones, Tablets, PC, Wii U, 3DS and NX is perfection.

WhiteEaglePL said:
There will always be dedicated gamers.

Perhaps the children playing apps would buy consoles when they grow up to like 12 or something. Nothing is set in stone yet, so I think Nintendo choosing to support Phones, Tablets, PC, Wii U, 3DS and NX is perfection.

Nintendo can't even support 2 consoles at the same time. They won't be able to support two more platforms (PC & NX) properly.

vivster said:
Barkley said:
What's the reasoning behind releasing the titles on PC and not on PS4/XBO? There's really no reason to release your titles on the PC and not the consoles too.... apart from a vocal minority who don't want there beloved franchises tarnished by hitlers own consoles the ps4 and xbo.

Pretty sure Hitler would never own an Xbox. And he's definitely a Wii guy. He likes his Japanese boxes in white and preferably with an Italian mascot to play with.

Not to mention his preference for blue glowing lights.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."