By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Nintendo Platform Teased at Conference, "NX"

zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:

Then what IS the priority for the NX? To only cater to Nintendo fans? Then you get Wii U numbers...

But how are they going to reach 70-80m users? That's pretty damn good numbers, but how are they going to reach those numbers if they're not trying to make it as appealing as possible to as many as possible?

U seem to be forgetting about the 50+ million 3DS sales. By the end of the generation, Nintendo will have sold like 80-90 million units of hardware (Wii U, 15-20m & 3DS, 65-70m). So based on that 70-80 million isn't out of the question for NX.

Yes, but how many of them double dipped? And how many times? There isn't 51m 3DS USERS out there. There is 51m 3DS's SOLD, but not users. I also imagine that most Wii U owners also have a 3DS. That means that if the Fusion sells 80m handhelds and home consoles, there's quite a large number that will have both, and while this practice will inflate the HW numbers, it won't do the same for SW numbers.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
curl-6 said:
DanneSandin said:

Absolutely, but they were declining in popularity from the get go...

I attribute that largely to it missing out on the genesis COD's rise to superstardom in 2007. By the time Wii joined the party in 2008 with world at war, PS3/360 were already pregnant with the seeds of the current fanbase.

I think a large part of it also were the lack of online features on the Wii.

That was part of it, but I reckon if Wii had gotten MW1 in 2007 with the others, the rest would have sold much better. As it was, they still sold enough to make money.

curl-6 said:
DanneSandin said:
curl-6 said:
DanneSandin said:

Absolutely, but they were declining in popularity from the get go...

I attribute that largely to it missing out on the genesis COD's rise to superstardom in 2007. By the time Wii joined the party in 2008 with world at war, PS3/360 were already pregnant with the seeds of the current fanbase.

I think a large part of it also were the lack of online features on the Wii.

That was part of it, but I reckon if Wii had gotten MW1 in 2007 with the others, the rest would have sold much better. As it was, they still sold enough to make money.

Yeah maybe. I always imgine what would happen if the Wii was HD and almost as strong as the X360... It would have dominated everything so hard! It would have surpassed the PS2 even, I'm sure

DanneSandin said:
zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:

Then what IS the priority for the NX? To only cater to Nintendo fans? Then you get Wii U numbers...

But how are they going to reach 70-80m users? That's pretty damn good numbers, but how are they going to reach those numbers if they're not trying to make it as appealing as possible to as many as possible?

U seem to be forgetting about the 50+ million 3DS sales. By the end of the generation, Nintendo will have sold like 80-90 million units of hardware (Wii U, 15-20m & 3DS, 65-70m). So based on that 70-80 million isn't out of the question for NX.

Yes, but how many of them double dipped? And how many times? There isn't 51m 3DS USERS out there. There is 51m 3DS's SOLD, but not users. I also imagine that most Wii U owners also have a 3DS. That means that if the Fusion sells 80m handhelds and home consoles, there's quite a large number that will have both, and while this practice will inflate the HW numbers, it won't do the same for SW numbers.

Nintendo doesn't care if the same people buy multiple versions of their hardware, they just care that the hardware is selling. How many Wii U owners have a 3DS, 100%? 50%? 25%? Who knows, but at the same time, as long as each device isn't overpriced and have some exclusive features than Nintendo can probably get their dedicated fans to buy both a handheld and console.

Nintendo doesn't really have a problem selling software, here are some reasonable estimates for their big franchises this generation.

Mario Kart-20 million (MK7-13m, MK8-7m)

Pokémon X/Y-15 million, Pokemon OR/AS-10+ million

2D Mario-17 million (NSMB2-11m, NSMBU-6m)

3D Mario-17 million (3D Land-12m, 3D World-5m)

Smash Bros-15 million (3DS-9m, Wii U-6m)

Obviously since there is an overlap between 3DS & Wii U owners, the total amount isn't necessarily how much a single title would sell if on both devices, so Mario Kart NX might sell 16-17 million instead of 20m but that can be cancelled out by the reduction in development costs by not having to make 2 seperate games and by having a large userbase to sell DLC to.

Then u have to consider certain games would have an increase of on both. Tropical Freeze, for example is just over 1 million and might leg it out to 1.5-2m, if it had the 3DS userbase to sell to as well than it would likely be a 5 million seller. Animal Crossing on 3DS is like 8.5 million and Luigi's Mansion about 4 million, if they were also on Wii U than they would be 10 million and 5 million sellers by now.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:
zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:

Nintendo doesn't care if the same people buy multiple versions of their hardware, they just care that the hardware is selling. How many Wii U owners have a 3DS, 100%? 50%? 25%? Who knows, but at the same time, as long as each device isn't overpriced and have some exclusive features than Nintendo can probably get their dedicated fans to buy both a handheld and console.

Nintendo doesn't really have a problem selling software, here are some reasonable estimates for their big franchises this generation.

Obviously since there is an overlap between 3DS & Wii U owners, the total amount isn't necessarily how much a single title would sell if on both devices, so Mario Kart NX might sell 16-17 million instead of 20m but that can be cancelled out by the reduction in development costs by not having to make 2 seperate games and by having a large userbase to sell DLC to.

Then u have to consider certain games would have an increase of on both. Tropical Freeze, for example is just over 1 million and might leg it out to 1.5-2m, if it had the 3DS userbase to sell to as well than it would likely be a 5 million seller. Animal Crossing on 3DS is like 8.5 million and Luigi's Mansion about 4 million, if they were also on Wii U than they would be 10 million and 5 million sellers by now.

When I said double dipping I was also talking about people buying a 3DS several times over... And I think you're overestimating how much MK would sell on a unified NX system; 16-17m seems like a lot since MK7 and 8 so far have sold 15m together, and I'm pretty sure a few million of those cosyumers have both copies... But maybe you're not far off.

And I totally agree with your last paragraph! Some franchises won't sell as many copies per gen, while others will do better. With the Fusion NIntendo will be able to release more games from different series, which should be a really good thing.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:
zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:

When I said double dipping I was also talking about people buying a 3DS several times over... And I think you're overestimating how much MK would sell on a unified NX system; 16-17m seems like a lot since MK7 and 8 so far have sold 15m together, and I'm pretty sure a few million of those cosyumers have both copies... But maybe you're not far off.

And I totally agree with your last paragraph! Some franchises won't sell as many copies per gen, while others will do better. With the Fusion NIntendo will be able to release more games from different series, which should be a really good thing.

I know u were talking about people who have bought multiple version of 3DS but then again what makes u think Nintendo won't release multiple versions of NX handhelds? We will still get revisions and plenty of special editions.

MK7+8 shipments are a little over 16 million right now and both are still selling. MK7 released in 2011 yet still shipped 1.8 million so far this fiscal year. When all is said and done it could be 20 million for MK7+8, in which case 16-17 million wouldn't be unlikely if they were a single title on both platforms.

Look at it this way, let's assume that each Mario Kart unit is sold at full price

Mario Kart 7-$40×13,000,000 units=$520,000,000 revenue

Mario Kart 8-$60×7,000,000 units=$420,000,000 revenue

Mario Kart 7+8=$940,000,000 revenue+MK8 DLC=roughly $1 billion revenue

Mario Kart NX-$60×15,000,000 units=900,000,000 revenue+DLC=roughly $1 billion revenue

See how they can still make the same amount of money by selling 5 million less units and are likely making more profit by developing and advertising one game instead of 2 seperate games while still able to go ahead and make a new game 2-3 years later?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

There are droughts with Nintendo releases for the WiiU, some spanning many months (especially in PAL territories.) Yet, they expand to Mobile gaming AND announce a new console. 2015, the last 'great' year for the WiiU. After ZeldaU, don't expect anything amazing.

Nintendo NX games; 6 month droughts per game due to focus on Mobile games. Also don't expect 3rd party support, that bridge is burned down now.

VillANGER said:
There are droughts with Nintendo releases for the WiiU, some spanning many months (especially in PAL territories.) Yet, they expand to Mobile gaming AND announce a new console. 2015, the last 'great' year for the WiiU. After ZeldaU, don't expect anything amazing.

Nintendo NX games; 6 month droughts per game due to focus on Mobile games. Also don't expect 3rd party support, that bridge is burned down now.

Well, you clearly haven't read news about this event or haven't understood them.

Scisca said:
Materia-Blade said:

They aren't better per se. They ARE elsewhere. Let 3rd parties treat the nintendo fanbase with respect and see what happens.

They are better elsewhere and Nintendo makes it impossible for their versions to be on par with competition. You can live in your dreamworld, but it won't change this basic fact.

Let Nintendo treat the 3rd parties with respect and see what happens.

"Let Nintendo treat the 3rd parties with respect and see what happens."

I've seen what happens: gamecube, wii and wii u support. the handhelds only got support because nintendo had near monopoly in the area.

Soundwave said:

There's a fundamental issue with Nintendo and third parties too is that the demographic for third parties games simply doesn't suit the types of games Nintendo floods their platforms with.

Going from the cheery, happy world of Mario into running over prostitutes and shooting cops in GTA just doesn't go together.

Yes, sure, Nintendo tries maybe once or twice a generation to throw at a violent title of their own, but like Bayonetta 2 they usually end up with mediocre/lukewarm sales at best.

Most of the big gun third party IP that even Nintendo fans clamour for (c'mon Ubi Soft give us Watch Dogs, not some stupid Rabbids party game!) simply doesn't fit the demographic of the console.

Sony and MS' who make games like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Halo, Forza, etc. themselves fit the demographics of the types of games third parties go after. They market during the NBA Finals and FIFA World Cup and NFL football games. Nintendo markets on Nickeldeon during cartoon blocks. If you're making a game like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty, it's fairly obvious which platform is going to be your bread & butter. 

Nintendo will always have problems with third parties. Games like LEGO, Mickey Mouse, Just Dance, are the types of third party games that perform better and that's why third parties stick with that. It's more logical sense to them and the numbers are there to back it up.

The top selling Wii third party games are things like Just Dance, Zumba Fitness, Michael Jackson: The Experience, Deca Sports, Carnival Games, Sonic Colors, various LEGO games, etc. Even once in a blue moon when a more violent third party game sells OK on a Nintendo platform, like say Resident Evil 4, it usually ends up selling even better on either the Playstation and/or XBox, so again, third parties don't really swoon if maybe one of their games does OK. 

That's absurd and completely untrue. It doesn't matter how many times you say it, the nintendo audience is almost the opposite of what you describe.