By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Nintendo Platform Teased at Conference, "NX"

Soundwave said:

Nintendo "won" E3 last year too. And then proceeded to come in a distant third in fall sales. 

So "winning" E3 is something that gets a niche sliver of certain fanbases excited, it's not really that big of a deal. 

I was just speaking more about the press coverage, now that they've name dropped NX, they're going to be hounded by the press for details on that constantly. 

It's like telling a kid he can eat anything he wants ... anything ... so long as it isn't pizza. The first thing he/she is going to ask for is pizza, even if they were perfectly content with hamburgers or hot dogs just 10 minutes prior, lol. 

I wasn't trying to imply winning E3 was anything more than a fan thing.

Nintendo doesn't ever let the press drive their info releases. They will get good buzz from Zelda, new loyalty program, and whatever additional QoL info comes. Plus, I'm sure there may be some tech demo for NX actually. That seems realistic and they did the same with WiiU.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
At least they threw us a bone as reassurance that they're not giving up on dedicated hardware.

They had already announced last year that a new system was in development. 

Anyway, this is how Nintendo has typically done things for the last few system cycles. Usually between 1-2 years after a console releases, they announce that a successor console is in the works. Then the following year, they give the console a code name, meaning they've got the basic concept of what they wanted. Then the following year, tech demos are shown off. Then the year after that, the system is released. Given that this pattern has continued up to this point, w'll most likely see the Wii U's successor released in late 2017 at the earliest.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Soundwave said:
DanneSandin said:

But that would leave only the Nintendo fans to buy their system, and that's an increasingly smaller and smaller group it seems. And only making ONE version of every game would mean less revenue from that particular franchise. One Mario Kart/gen, one Smash/gen, one 2D Mario/gen. Would the dedicated gaming industry even the worth it to Nintendo in the end?

I agree that Nintendo will, or at least should, become more of... an entertainment conglomerate

Who says they only can make ONE of each IP per generation? They could make Mario Kart 9 and then have Mario Kart 10, two-three years later. Main difference is they'll just work on both home and portable versions. 

Instead of EAD Tokyo having to make a 3D Land and 3D World, maybe they'll simply be able to make one singular "3D World" title and then move on to making say a Mario 64-style game the next time around or even a new IP if they so choose to. 

Because that's what Nintendo always does with most of their big franchises. It's not often we get 2 home console Zeldas or 3D Super Mario, and we've NEVER had 2 Mario Karts or Smash - and I certainly hope they don't start now just because they make the Fusion a reality! Then the critics would have a point about them milking their franchises (which I don't think they di right now).

I like your last paragraph, and that would perhaps be the best solution! A 3D World AND a 64/Galaxy Mario per gen would be awesome! They could also do something similar with Mario Kart and release Diddy Kong Racing instead of a new MK. And they could make a 2D and a 3D Zelda each gen. The main point would be that every game is quite similar but plays a bit differently and looks/feels differently. I like it!

Soundwave said:
I don't think mass user base is really the no.1 priority anymore for NX.

With smartphone apps they have access to the wide gaming market and can rest easy that the broad kids market is being exposed to Nintendo IP at a young age. It will also be a big revenue stream for them.

The focus on NX from Nintendo's POV now likely is to make it as profitable as possible.

Even if they only get say 70-80 million users (assuming it is a fusion platform) ... that's still a very workable base that you can make a lot of money from.

Then what IS the priority for the NX? To only cater to Nintendo fans? Then you get Wii U numbers...

But how are they going to reach 70-80m users? That's pretty damn good numbers, but how are they going to reach those numbers if they're not trying to make it as appealing as possible to as many as possible?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Materia-Blade said:

"Yes, but one of the points I made was that it doesn't really matter if a port is late; it can still sell quite well. And ports on Wii U don't."

The cases where late ports sell a lot are very specific.

"I wouldn't call 500k a lot. The best selling "mature" 3rd party games are the 53rd best selling game on Wii; CoD3 with 2.23m, then at nr 56 Monster Hunter Tri (published by Nintendo) with 2.21m sold and RE4 at 57 with 2.21m units sold. I wouldn't describe that as stellar, and I understand if 3rd parties didn't bother with more mature games if that's all the sales they could get out of 100m+ Wii's."

First, it wasn't 100m wii's, those sales were pretty much done when the installed base was much smaller than that and those are great numbers. are you trying to dismiss multimillion sellers as bad sellers?

"If Nintendo attracted more none-Nintendo gamers to their systems, 3rd parties would notice that their games sold better on said system, leading to more effort and ports."

3rd parties don't have to notice something they always knew. they don't release the games for BS reasons.

Maybe they are, but they're there none the less. So far I've pointed out two of them. Not sure if there are more actually ^^

Let's compare CoD3 and CoD:WAW; CoD3 came out in 2006 and did 2.23m and WAW came out in 2008 (two years and a lot of Wii's later) and sold 1.93m. Instead of the franchise GROWING with the Wii it's actually shrinking... 2m copies of a game is not bad at all, but "mature" 3rd party games sold a lot better on the HD twins, making these numbers SEEM bad. And let's remember that many of these games had to be build from the grounds up for the Wii since they simply couldn't port over the HD versions. That's time, money and energy coupled with the FACT that the Wii verisons never sold as well as on the HD twins. And as I already proved (and which you chose to ignore in this reply), it wasn't the QUALITY of these 3rd party efforts that hindered them from selling on the Wii. Just to make this evem more clear: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is the 5th best selling "Mature" 3rd party game on Wii (not counting Sonic: Unleashed) and sold 1.84m with a Metscore of 71. The game sold less than on either the PS3 or X360, even though Wii had a bigger instal base. Now compare that to Red Steel 2 that was released afterwards, with a higher metascore and instal base, but still only managed to sell 600k. This paint a pretty clear picture that "mature" (3rd party) games didn't really find a good hold on the Wii, and that situation only got worse as the year went by and more and more Wii's got sold.

So let's hear these "BS reasons" 3rd parties have for not supporting Nintendo consoles.

DanneSandin said:
Materia-Blade said:

"Yes, but one of the points I made was that it doesn't really matter if a port is late; it can still sell quite well. And ports on Wii U don't."

"I wouldn't call 500k a lot. The best selling "mature" 3rd party games are the 53rd best selling game on Wii; CoD3 with 2.23m, then at nr 56 Monster Hunter Tri (published by Nintendo) with 2.21m sold and RE4 at 57 with 2.21m units sold. I wouldn't describe that as stellar, and I understand if 3rd parties didn't bother with more mature games if that's all the sales they could get out of 100m+ Wii's."

First, it wasn't 100m wii's, those sales were pretty much done when the installed base was much smaller than that and those are great numbers. are you trying to dismiss multimillion sellers as bad sellers?

"If Nintendo attracted more none-Nintendo gamers to their systems, 3rd parties would notice that their games sold better on said system, leading to more effort and ports."

3rd parties don't have to notice something they always knew. they don't release the games for BS reasons.

Maybe they are, but they're there none the less. So far I've pointed out two of them. Not sure if there are more actually ^^

Let's compare CoD3 and CoD:WAW; CoD3 came out in 2006 and did 2.23m and WAW came out in 2008 (two years and a lot of Wii's later) and sold 1.93m. Instead of the franchise GROWING with the Wii it's actually shrinking... 2m copies of a game is not bad at all, but "mature" 3rd party games sold a lot better on the HD twins, making these numbers SEEM bad. And let's remember that many of these games had to be build from the grounds up for the Wii since they simply couldn't port over the HD versions. That's time, money and energy coupled with the FACT that the Wii verisons never sold as well as on the HD twins. And as I already proved (and which you chose to ignore in this reply), it wasn't the QUALITY of these 3rd party efforts that hindered them from selling on the Wii. Just to make this evem more clear: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is the 5th best selling "Mature" 3rd party game on Wii (not counting Sonic: Unleashed) and sold 1.84m with a Metscore of 71. The game sold less than on either the PS3 or X360, even though Wii had a bigger instal base. Now compare that to Red Steel 2 that was released afterwards, with a higher metascore and instal base, but still only managed to sell 600k. This paint a pretty clear picture that "mature" (3rd party) games didn't really find a good hold on the Wii, and that situation only got worse as the year went by and more and more Wii's got sold.

So let's hear these "BS reasons" 3rd parties have for not supporting Nintendo consoles.

To be fair, COD on Wii was profitable, hence why they kept making them.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DanneSandin said:
Materia-Blade said:

Absolutely, but they were declining in popularity from the get go...

DanneSandin said:
curl-6 said:

I attribute that largely to it missing out on the genesis COD's rise to superstardom in 2007. By the time Wii joined the party in 2008 with world at war, PS3/360 were already pregnant with the seeds of the current fanbase.

DanneSandin said:

Then what IS the priority for the NX? To only cater to Nintendo fans? Then you get Wii U numbers...

But how are they going to reach 70-80m users? That's pretty damn good numbers, but how are they going to reach those numbers if they're not trying to make it as appealing as possible to as many as possible?

U seem to be forgetting about the 50+ million 3DS sales. By the end of the generation, Nintendo will have sold like 80-90 million units of hardware (Wii U, 15-20m & 3DS, 65-70m). So based on that 70-80 million isn't out of the question for NX.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

1. A controller standard for the PC is only a matter of demand. If game developers decided that they want to games for controllers rather than mouse and keyboard, then it wouldn't be too difficult to encourage companies (for example, Microsoft) to introduce a standard. And yes, the PC scene was big in the '90s; when you look at today's console games, many of these series originated on the PC; Call of Duty and The Elder Scrolls, plus developers like Bioware (Baldur's Gate, KotoR) were drawn to consoles; much of what you see today comes from former PC game developers. But no, that doesn't mean that the "mature" crowd was on the PC in the early '90s; they were on consoles. The way that business works for Nintendo's competitors in the console space is that Nintendo brings in gamers and Nintendo's competition then starts to talk about maturity and all that fluff to lure people away from Nintendo. It's for that reason that Sony has gone on record to state that it's bad if Nintendo isn't doing well, because Nintendo is the pipeline from which they draw. Of course they didn't say it this blatantly, but that's how it works.

Then why did these PC developers suddenly start making console games? Could it maybe be because the demand was there? Could it actually be the case that people to a pretty large extent PREFER to game on consoles and big TV's and not wanting to bother getting "geeky" with PC and smaller screens? There's a pretty clear case to be made that a lot of gamers wouldn't game if they only had access to PC. So you're more or less saying that in the early 90's the "mature" gamers were on Sega? And could that perhaps be because they (at least potrayed to have) had bloodier games? Just compare the two versions of Mortal Kombat.

2. "Family friendly" doesn't have negative connotations, that's why other words are used to describe Nintendo.

3. It can't be successfully countered because Sony and Microsoft would just up the ante of their PR work, if Nintendo did what you suggested.

Nintendo would just have to be smarter

4. That's up to Nintendo. Iwata has already said that NX will be such a platform. What's being said about "casuals" is that they are fickle and unpredictable; which means that nobody can't rule out that they'll buy Nintendo products. The Wii U is Nintendo's attempt at a PlayStation (the second after the GameCube), hence why multiplatform games were the big focus when the console was unveiled; hence why Sony and Microsoft's PR could work; hence why nobody buys it for a different experience, because there is no different experience. I addressed why Nintendo fans aren't buying earlier in my previous post, the Wii U is too expensive.

The Wii U is NOT an attempt of a PS like Nintendo console. The Wii U don't KNOW what it wanna be. It has a lot of casual games, and not enough core games to be a true attempt to take the PS crowd. It launched with a few old ports and an exclusive 3rd party mature game, but Nintendo did NOTHING to enhance that image of maturity. Yes, they talked the talk, but they didn't walk the walk. What more adult/mature title did THEY offer at launch? I wouldn't say that a 2D Mario is something the CoD crowd would find appealing. It was even called the platform console a while, because all Nintendo did for it was platformers. Does W101 look like a game GTA players would find interesting? No. Even Nintendo's 3D mario, 3D World, has a pretty clear "casual" vibe to it. Mario Galaxy looks a lot more "core". So don't try and paint the Wii U as Nintendo's attempt of a PS. And I'm not sure the GC was such an atempt either; just take a look at Zelda WW and Mario Sunshine. NOT anything that would appeal to the PS crowd. If this is Nintendo's PS attempts, then it's VERY clear that Nintendo doesn't know anything about that crowd. The Wii U is a VERY different experience than PS4, and that's why it's failing; it's underpowered and can't therefore pull of the same graphics (and we both know graphics have become important to gamers), it has a touchscreen controller (we both know gamers don't want knew control inputs), they don't have ANY games in common since Nintendo does what Nintendo does and doesn't try to get any games similar to those on PS4. There is NOTHING similar about these two experiences.

If people aren't interested in console gaming, but Nintendo redefines what console gaming is, then that means that Nintendo's console gaming isn't the same as existing products, so the disinterest in traditional console gaming doesn't necessarily apply to the new definition of console gaming. It isn't easy to redefine console gaming, but it only needs to be redefined if there are competitors that make current console gaming unprofitable for Nintendo. The beauty of the Sony/Microsoft/Third Party relationship is that it locks all of them into the definition they have chosen for themselves. Sony and Microsoft will not be able to compete with Nintendo as long as Nintendo stays its course, simply because they need third party support to beat Nintendo at their own game and they won't get it because third parties will maintain the status quo. The Wii would have continued to work, but Nintendo decided they were done with it and returned to the pre-Wii era for the design of their eighth generation console, so they merged the dual analog controller with the GBA connectivity. The Wii U is an evolution of the GameCube, and the GC was a failure. Nintendo got themselves into a horrible situation because they chose to build on failure instead of success.

I agree that if Nintendo can't attract proper 3rd party support, and make similar games themselves, their only option is to try and catch lightning in a bottle for a second time. But that's a lot easier than done. Last time the concept (of Wii) came from OUTSIDE the company. Think about that. The Wii wouldn't have happened unless someone CAME to Nintendo with the motion controls. Nintendo got LUCKY last gen. Are they capable of replicating that themselves next time around?

curl-6 said:
DanneSandin said:

I attribute that largely to it missing out on the genesis COD's rise to superstardom in 2007. By the time Wii joined the party in 2008 with world at war, PS3/360 were already pregnant with the seeds of the current fanbase.

I think a large part of it also were the lack of online features on the Wii.