By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Nintendo Platform Teased at Conference, "NX"

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even match the PS4. To have a scalable platform from handheld to home ... asking for PS4 levels of power likely using mobile chips is asking for a helluva lot. I don't think it's happening. 

I'll go a step further and say I'll be surprised if it's much more powerful than Wii U.

And they didn't even mentioned the NX by calling it "NEXT GEN", you know ?

I bet all my best this is a device All-in-1 connect PC/Smartphone/3DS/WiiU together

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
Around the Network
DolPhanTendo said:
Good job Nintendo way to cave to gaming journalists which are the worst journalists in my opinion see GamerGate. Sad day for me Wii U is excellent console and should be pushed more, very disappointed.
I hope Splatoon blows up and right s these wrongs

According to Iwata, Nintendo and DeNA have been talking since 2010. Nintendo are not known for kneejerk reactions, and especially not as a result of what gaming journalists might say.

curl-6 said:
DanneSandin said:

The question is how the Fusion will work though? Will both handhelds and home console just share the same engines and OS? Or will they actually share the same games, as in play at home and pick up where u left the game while sitting on the bus? We dont know yet. If they share the same games, Nintendo will be losing out on a lot of profit since lots of people wont buy both platforms, and their SW might also suffer; a lpt of people bought Mario Kart for BOTH  3DS and Wii U. Do they really wanna part with those profits?

Isn't the whole point that they share an architecture, so they don't have to work to support two different systems with different games. We've seen with 3DS and Wii U that they simply don't have the resources to prop up two systems at the same time.

Sharing the same assets would surely shorten the developing time for a lot of games. You wouldnt have to create new engines all the time, you could quite easily use the same engine when creating two different Mario Karts. SOME games might even have some sort of cross function where you can continue your game on either consoles, but Im not convinced thatll be the case for every game. All you have to do is ask yourself; which way would make Nintendo the most profit?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
curl-6 said:

Isn't the whole point that they share an architecture, so they don't have to work to support two different systems with different games. We've seen with 3DS and Wii U that they simply don't have the resources to prop up two systems at the same time.

Sharing the same assets would surely shorten the developing time for a lot of games. You wouldnt have to create new engines all the time, you could quite easily use the same engine when creating two different Mario Karts. SOME games might even have some sort of cross function where you can continue your game on either consoles, but Im not convinced thatll be the case for every game. All you have to do is ask yourself; which way would make Nintendo the most profit?

I think this gen has shown them that supporting two systems on their own just isn't possible. The game droughts are inevitable, and do serious damage to hardware sales momentum. They have only two options; coax third parties back, or go with the fusion concept of a shared library. The latter seems much more likely to me.

curl-6 said:
DanneSandin said:

I think this gen has shown them that supporting two systems on their own just isn't possible. The game droughts are inevitable, and do serious damage to hardware sales momentum. They have only two options; coax third parties back, or go with the fusion concept of a shared library. The latter seems much more likely to me.

I agree that they only have those two options. If they want 3rd parties back theyll need to involve them in the development of the new console and make it powerful. There is no other way to get gamers onboard. If they have two consoles with the same library with crossplaying/sharing they risk losing out on double dipping profits, and the second problem is that they might once again only attract Nintendo faithfuls and kids (though kids might be happy sticking with their mobile gaming like the casualz). Dont you agree?

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
curl-6 said:

I agree that they only have those two options. If they want 3rd parties back theyll need to involve them in the development of the new console and make it powerful. There is no other way to get gamers onboard. If they have two consoles with the same library with crossplaying/sharing they risk losing out on double dipping profits, and the second problem is that they might once again only attract Nintendo faithfuls and kids (though kids might be happy sticking with their mobile gaming like the casualz). Dont you agree?

I do agree about their risks and options, but to me Nintendo actually involving third parties, making what they want, and getting their support, is just too unlikely.

I don't think mainstream third party support is ever coming back.

JustBeingReal said:
Captain_Tom said:
DanneSandin said:

I imagen the NX will be BOTH a handheld and a home console; they will have certain shared features and compatabilities, maybe even some games. Releasing a new home console next year would mean that PS5 and XB2 would be severaly mpre powerful than Nintendos next effort. And we all saw how bad that went down this gen. 

AMD's 2016 APU's look to perform about as well or better than a PS4 while only consuming 15 watts
.  They could make it so it consumes 5w and works as a handheld while mobile, and then when you plug it into a wall all of your games go from 30 FPS to 60 FPS and at 1080p instead of 720p or something.  That would be sweet...

Do you have a source for that claim I've bolded?

It doesn't seem very likely, given that AMD are apparently moving down to 16nm in 2016. At 20nm Nvidia claims their Tegra X1 can produce 400GFlops of compute performance at 10 watts, even though 16nm is about 25% more efficient than the 20nm process Nvidia uses for their SOC and current parts, it's not going to allow for a drop that steep.

Tegra X1 scaled up to 5X could produce around the same performance as PS4's SOC at 50watts, Nvidia tends to be more efficient in their architecture than AMD, so comparing as like for like as possible maybe AMD can get their Zen APUs down to about 40 watts and that's assuming they have a really good efficient chip design for their next gen SOCs.

A 15 Watt SOC, with the same performance as PS4 is a few years away after 2016.

AMD has a lot more experience in true integrated graphics than Nvidia.  Look up the leaked benchmarks from the upcoming Carrizo APU.  It's true that it likely will be weaker than the PS4 and maybe even the X1, but it would still be close enough to run modern games.

curl-6 said:
DanneSandin said:

I do agree about their risks and options, but to me Nintendo actually involving third parties, making what they want, and getting their support, is just too unlikely.

I think they should try and get it back this gen, and if that doesnt work they should go all out with their Fusion concept. Why bother making home consoles if theyre gonna keep selling Wii U levels? Better to combine portables and home console in that case.

DanneSandin said:
curl-6 said:

I think they should try and get it back this gen, and if that doesnt work they should go all out with their Fusion concept. Why bother making home consoles if theyre gonna keep selling Wii U levels? Better to combine portables and home console in that case.

How do you propose they do this though? At this point, it'd be easier to achieve world peace, cure cancer, count to infinity, find the Loch Ness monster, and uncrack an egg.

curl-6 said:
DanneSandin said:

How do you propose they do this though? At this point, it'd be easier to achieve world peace, cure cancer, count to infinity, find the Loch Ness monster, and uncrack an egg.

It'd be risky, I'll grant you that. Ive already outlined my train of thought here; power house console, produce "mature" games and listen to 3rd party feedback. They could buy exclusives, similar what they did with Bayo2. Aielyn made an intersting thread that Nintendo might have entered a deal with Crytek, and if thats true Nintendo could have them produce a few titles for the NX - tp lead the way for hesitent 3rd parties. Do what Sony did. X360 were the leading platform for development last gen. This gen tho? Ps4. Ask devs what they want and deli er that. Has worked wonders with PS4. Granted, Nintendo has a far longer distance to cover to get to the point where Sony is today, and thats why they need to lead the charge themselves with mature games. With Cryteks graphics and Nintendos input on gameplay... thatd be a game of the year contender.