By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and mobile company DeNA form alliance, will make apps featuring Nintendo IP

ktay95 said:
Soundwave said:
Pokemon Puzzle League/Tetris Attack (Nintendo Attack?) would be awesome on iPad I have to admit. I would buy that in a second.

My biggest hope is Nintendogs. I loved that game on DS, would be awesome to walk my dog on the bus ride or while waitng for fast food etc. on my phone.

Also as many people as this would annoy Animal Crossing is perfect for mobile devices.

Even if Animal Crossing seems like the perfect IP for mibile, I think they won't put it there. It sells well enough on handhelds, they won't canibalize those sales.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I can totally see Mario Maker for iOS/Android too ... you can make Mario levels on your iPhone/iPad/Android device but to play it at home you'll need the NX system or Wii U.

Darwinianevolution said:
ktay95 said:
Soundwave said:
Pokemon Puzzle League/Tetris Attack (Nintendo Attack?) would be awesome on iPad I have to admit. I would buy that in a second.

My biggest hope is Nintendogs. I loved that game on DS, would be awesome to walk my dog on the bus ride or while waitng for fast food etc. on my phone.

Also as many people as this would annoy Animal Crossing is perfect for mobile devices.

Even if Animal Crossing seems like the perfect IP for mibile, I think they won't put it there. It sells well enough on handhelds, they won't canibalize those sales.

I could see Animal Crossing being a lot like Minecraft -- sells a shit ton on iOS/Android, but still sells a ton on XBox/PC/Playstation too. 

Nintendo is fucked. This mistake will cause them to die off. GG, Iwata. -.-

Around the Network

Don't know if this has been posted already, but here is an english translation of the presentation for you guys to read:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/index.html

I admit to being a bit shocked when I first read it, but it doesn't have to be bad. I don't expect them to release big games on mobile platforms, just smaller Pokemon Shuffle type of games and supportive apps. Also DeNa will help Nintendo set up a good online account system/services. Plus, they did say dedicated consoles aren't going anywere. I guess we'll just have to wait an see.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

This is also the quote direct from Iwata:

As for which Nintendo IP will be used, we do not intend to make any exceptions. Potentially, any Nintendo IP could be used in our smart device software.

I think Nintendo basically researched this and decided this ... yes this could cause some people to not buy a Nintendo handheld, but a lot of people were fleeing from Nintendo handhelds anyway in favor of smart devices.

Now at least they can make money from those people too. There will always be a subset (probably a shrinking) of people that still want physical buttons on portable machines but I think Nintendo realized it was a unwinnable war against smartphones/tablets ... if you can't beat them, then join them. 

Nintendo changed their mind here and decided the money they stand to make by doing this simply outweighs the negatives of undermining their traditional handheld business.

In a way I can't say I blame them, but I do think it's a little sad.

This makes me sad, very sad

" only new original games optimized for smart device functionality will be created " .. thats all folks!

*shrug*

None of Nintendo's developers are going to be working on mobile games. All of the first-party dev teams that have been making games for Nintendo platforms are going to continue doing that. We won't be missing out on the next Pikmin or anything just because Nintendo threw some money at someone else and told them to go ahead and make a different thing.

I don't think anyone would lose sleep over Pokemon Shuffle having been released on mobile platforms rather than 3DS.