By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Type-1 teased at end of Type-0 HD

Nem said:
From what i played of type-0, i really dont want anymore. Its pretty much a monster hunter clone in FF paint.

Though i hear they are rebalancing it for console releases. I still dont trust it though. I'm pretty much done with hunting games.

How is it similar to Monster Hunter at all? The only similarity I found in both games is how in missions, each environment are not seamless, as in you battle in one small area then enter another area and so on. Even in that part they have differences as Type-0 sometimes gives you more than just attacking enemies in missions. Of course boss battles happen larger areas. Also there's a world map wherein you can explore to go to towns, caves, etc. Oh and btw to the other people who are curious, you can also spend time while waiting for your next main mission by exploring the world map to level up, collect materials, visit towns, etc. Although exploring too much will most likely get you killed since high level enemies roam around the world. There's also this RTS segments where you defend your school and the towns you subjugate.

Around the Network
VXIII said:
JGarret said:

Would you mind sharing what your main criticisms are?...I´m really interested in the game and I´m always looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Sure. Take into consideration that I'm only 3 hours in. So my take on the game might not be comprehensive.

Type-0 has fragmented storytelling that unfolds by selection of quests, each quest requires a passage of time before you will be able to start it. To make time pass, you talk to voiceless and lifeless NPCs. Even in real-time cutscenes the characters don't move around and interact with each other naturally. They talk and make gestures (without attention to lip syncing), then the screen goes black, then the characters appear again but in a different position, they talk... Etc.

A lot of loading screens, each door you enter is followed by a load time. Even within within the cutscenes. The game in general is fragmented with no "flow" to it.

The amount of enemies on the screen is lacking so far, the behavior of the camera during battle is confusing. Flat environments. Below average animations for the characters.. And many more of those small things.

The gameplay is fun. A lot of characters with different fighting styles. A good variety in abilities and skills. Summons are great too.

This is what I have so far.

I've played the demos only on the psp, although there are two of them and both are very long ones too. The camera then was indeed problematic(it was like the camera in Kingdom hearts 1 original version) but the longer you play it the less it became a problem, however, in HD, it seems they improved upon it BUT they added this really strong motion blur to the whole game which made the camera movements even worse to see. Add to that that they made all the characters super fast in their running and the super fast combat. They should have dialed down the motion blur, it almost completeley negates the improvements they made with the camera.

Also, there aren't really any realtime cutscenes in the game. Those cutscenes you mentioned are pretty much just glorified conversations between characters(like when you click through convos on RPGs where they usually show 2D drawing of the characters interating with each other) which is why little effort are made to them. The cutscenes are the ones that are rendered like movies but are unfortunately using the PSP models of the characters in it and the occasional movie cutscenes.

Do note I only played the Psp version and based my comparison on the HD with the footages I've watched on youtube(there are already playthroughs of the HD remaster on YT)

More rpg is great, especially FF series, spin off or not people would buy nevertheless, But i hope we can get 2 main FF in this gen, seeing developing under today console is more easier then the previous one.

That's good to hear. I enjoyed most of the recent FF games even the ones that got a lot of hate. Since Type-1 won't be a port, many problems from Type-0 won't be present. I played the Type-0 demo, and it was pretty fun. However, the camera was pretty annoying; though I had a lot of issues with the camera on many PSP games.