By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A PSN User's account got hacked, $600 lost, and Sony apparently, can't help.

"Additionally, Kadjar was advised that if he were to speak to his credit card company and request a chargeback, he would have his PSN account banned, losing all his purchases, trophies, etc… Which is something Sony has been known to do,according to a few reports on its forums."

I can vouch for this. I used to do that game sharing thing, where you logged into someone else's account and download their games for use on your own profile, and I let people do it to mine. Stupid idea, I know. He then bought about $100 worth of stuff. Got refunded through the credit card company, and now my old account is banned. I thiiiink my purchases still worked, but I lost all my trophies, and that certainly sucked.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
think-man said:
You know this is fake aye?

Link please?

binary solo said:
mornelithe said:

Exactly.  Kind of flabbergasted how many people here would first seek Sony's input, rather than going directly to their bank, signing an affidavit, having the money refunded, and terminating any and all PSN transactions from your bank account w/o your prior notice.  While you're out jacking off w/ Sony Customer Service, someone's out buying a car, applying for a loan etc... w/ your CC. *golf clap*

My credit card company contacted me over the phone when they noticed an unusual transaction, and it happened to be someone fraudulently using my card (not a PSN purchase). I said just over the phone, transaction was not made by me, the immediately reversed the transaction, cancelled my card and issued a new card.

My situation was slightly more complex, but really not very complicated.  Woke up before work, checked my account, my paycheck had been deposited.  On the way to work, stopped to pick up a coffee, card declined.  Got to work, checked account, $2000 withdrawal between the time I left for work, and the time I got there...from a location in Cyprus.  Went to my bank immediately (In Vermont), let them know, signed an affidavit and they refunded the amount, this whole sequence took me about an hour to an hour and a half (half hour in the bank, the rest would be travel time).  Granted, it's pretty easy to challenge a withdrawal that's taken place from thousands of miles away w/in the past hour, and you're standing in front of them heh.

This entire situation just seems implausible, given the new PS4 attached to this account.  So...where's this PS4 located?  They've got SN# files, where was it shipped, where was it sold etc... ?  It doesn't feel like things are adding up quite right.

Hiku said:
Captain_Yuri said:
For shame! Sony knows they get hacked daily yet they can't help a person if he gets hacked and he provides clear proof? I hope they change their policies but man, this is exactly why I don't use my credit card on psn

Where did you see this clear proof?
At the end of the article it said: "It’s worth noting that we cannot confirm whether or not a hack did indeed take place"

Well I am pretty sure he gave Sony clear proof or else this wouldn't really be a thing at all other than being a fake and of course sites like vg24/7 wouldn't have any proof cause a lot of it would be private and personal that would be between Sony and the dude

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Thats like the perfect hack... its almost like he gave someone his password... oh wait...

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well I am pretty sure he gave Sony clear proof or else this wouldn't really be a thing at all other than being a fake and of course sites like vg24/7 wouldn't have any proof cause a lot of it would be private and personal that would be between Sony and the dude

Clear proof of what though? That money was used and someone else activated their PS4 with it? Sure. But how would he prove that he was hacked?
It sounds to me like this could be anything from an account sharing with an untrustworthy person going south, a very weak password that's easy to guess, or him using the same password and username on every site he registers for, etc.

Well heres the thing... Regardless of what the issue might be or how it came to be, the fact of the matter is that his account got compromised and there were a lot of unauthorized transactions that happened... Now the best way to resolve it would be to give him a full refund and deactivate all the games that got purchased on his account in this nonsense time cause that would be good customer service and they are doing the exact opposite.

And the other thing is that even if it was a hack, I doubt Sony would actually say that someone managed to hack PSN so just because we don't know the exact details doesn't mean it couldn't have been a hack.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Does smell of account sharing, or using same username and password on every site, but yeah lets go with hacked, cos it sounds soo cool.

Hardcore_gamer said:
Burek said:
A valuable lesson is never to link credit cards to any online service.

No u can't say any online service because xbox live is much safer than psn I've got 6 credit card on my xbox live account and I never been hacked 

LOL because you can not guess passwords on XBLive as well as on PSN. Perfect logic :)

Nope never happened. Ever.....

http://kotaku.com/5913228/report-how-scammers-are-stealing-xbox-live-accounts-and-what-they-do-with-them

If you leave your cards on ANY website you are putting yourself at risk. I have a computer networking degree and I assure you there is no such thing as perfect security

Hiku said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well heres the thing... Regardless of what the issue might be or how it came to be, the fact of the matter is that his account got compromised and there were a lot of unauthorized transactions that happened... Now the best way to resolve it would be to give him a full refund and deactivate all the games that got purchased on his account in this nonsense time cause that would be good customer service and they are doing the exact opposite.

And the other thing is that even if it was a hack, I doubt Sony would actually say that someone managed to hack PSN so just because we don't know the exact details doesn't mean it couldn't have been a hack.

Right, but I very much doubt that he has any possibility of seeing if it was a hacking, let alone prove it. Perhaps Sony could check and see. Though like you said, even if they do, and it appears to have happened, they probably wouldn't admit it.

But the reality is, a lot of people are stupid with their passwords, and have been since their inception. Even I have guessed a stranger's email password correctly before. On the first try.
So what do you think is more likely? That a person used illegal measures to hack this particular PSN account, only to waste the guy's money and activate his own PS4 (which I'm guessing Sony can easily see which one it is, and shut it down). Or that this guy has been careless with his password, and now in his desperation wants to try to get back what he lost?

I would guess it's the latter.
It's a very common thing that happens all the time. People screw up, and then they blame someone else to try to to recuporate their loss.
 Why just a few months back I threw away my iPhone charger, and planned to buy a new one. And a week later I read an article about how that particular model tends to burst into flames, that Apple will exchange your old charger for a new one that's safer. Maybe you can guess what I told Apple when I called them up. Hey, they're a multi billion dollar company, and sold me a product that could have burnt down my house while I was sleeping. I figured they owed me as much. lol

Hmm maybe there is a confusion somewhere cause when I said he provided "clear proof," I was referring to the fact that he had unauthorized transactions in his account and not that he proved how someone hacked it and etc cause in order for him to prove it to that level, he would probably need admin access to PSN as well as a lot of other things.

And sure, it could be that his password sucks and its could be that its 123456789 but that doesn't stop the fact that he had unauthorized transactions done in his account. Sony is even investigating it and said that they have found the IP of the person was traced back to somewhere in Europe. Now, people are idiots all the time, thats a proven fact but a good company with a good customer service would refund him the money when an unauthorized transaction like this has happened regardless of whoes fault it is because he didn't make those transactions... Someone else did! And its all digital so all they would have to do is deactivate the games on his account and refund him the money. He is only asking for his $600 back and he has every right to get it back and Sony are idiots for not doing so cause this is exactly how you break trust

Sounds fake to me, Why wouldn't they give someone who got hacked a refund? I once bought something by accident on my ps3 and they gave me a refund...

...and If it ever happened to someone and that someone contacted is credit card company, I doubt they would ban his psn account.

PS4 Game Collection