By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2015 NPD Thread! 3DS: 395k, PS4: 342k, XBO: 276k, WiiU: 96k

Samus Aran said:
Kerotan said:

I thought you were talking about the hardware and not software.  Yeah it lost to a remake.  The way you say that it sounds like a remake is a bad thing. Personally I think MM is good.  

Don't you need to play it first before you say that. ;)

I'll take the word of the people who played it.  Reviews are biased so I didn't just read it's rating. 

Around the Network

3DS - 395k
PS4 - 352k
XBO - 276k
Wii U - 98k
PSV TV > 30k
PSV < 30k

350k+  beast mode.

ethomaz said:

NewGuy said:

Here is the thing though, with Uncharted 4 being delayed, MS DEFINITELY has the upper hand SW wise going into the holidays (and Pre E3, of course).

MS will have Halo 5 & Tomb Raider exclusive this holiday. Even if TR comes to PS4 later, it'll be exclusive to the XBone this holiday. I also think MS will have the Xbone for $299 this Holiday, probably bundled with a game or two as well.

Of course, Sony will probably cut the price to $299 too, but, unless we get a surprise announcement, MS will have the upper hand to win Nov + Dec again this year and shorten the gap.

I really really doubt Sony will cut the price to $299.

The gap will be bigger than last year... last year gap was ~500k... this year will be bigger.

Why wouldn't Sony drop to $299? Assuming there's an internal revision (no chassis revision, just reworking the internals, saving money) where Sony can break even or make a slight profit on HW, I see no reason why they wouldn't drop the price. Sony wants the PS4 to be as successful as the PS2. For reference (http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Price_cuts):

PS1 launched in the US in September 9, 1995 for $299 and dropped the price to $199 in May 1996. (8 months) 

PS2 launched in the US in October 26, 2000 for $299 and dropped the price to $199 in May 2002. (19 months)

PS3 launched in the US in November 11, 2000 for $499/$599 and dropped the price to $399 in November 2007. (12 months)

PS4 launched in the US in November 15, 2013 for $399. It has been on the market for 16 months.

Probably a similar timeframe for their handhelds as well (i.e. 2 years at the latest before the first price drop). If anything, Sony not dropping the PS4's price this year would be unprecedented. I would venture to say that not dropping the price to $299 this year would be highly surprising. We'll know for sure based on their estimates for the FY come May (I think they will also drop the PS3's price as well).

Sony needs to be aggressive,  and I believe they will. In this day of globalization, a price drop will probably be announced WW (and it might vary by region). With the strong dollar, Sony will be more than okay with a $100 price drop on the PS4 in America. I fully expect a $299 price announcement at E3, Gamescom, or TGS (no PS4 slim refresh though).

JRPGfan said:

3DS - 395k
PS4 - 352k
XBO - 276k
Wii U - 98k
PSV TV > 30k
PSV < 30k

350k+  beast mode.

Now we just need ps3 and 360 numbers 

Awe yiss, Sony I want that gap ms got over the holidays erased ASAP!

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
JRPGfan said:

3DS - 395k
PS4 - 352k
XBO - 276k
Wii U - 98k
PSV TV > 30k
PSV < 30k

350k+  beast mode.

Now we just need ps3 and 360 numbers 

I thought I was the only one hoping for that lol.

Doubt we'll get it though.

Wow Vita almost sold as much in the US as in Japan, 60k vs. 82k.

And just to be that guy, I must point out that using official numbers (NPD and Media Create, sorry Europe) Vita has outsold the Wii U this year by a decent margin. Decent enough that even if we had European numbers the Vita would probably still be ahead.

• Wii U ~ 248k
  • Vita ~ 308k

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

BlowoverKing said:

Wow Vita almost sold as much in the US as in Japan, 60k vs. 82k.

And just to be that guy, I must point out that using official numbers (NPD and Media Create, sorry Europe) Vita has outsold the Wii U this year by a decent margin. Decent enough that even if we had European numbers the Vita would probably still be ahead.

• Wii U ~ 248k
  • Vita ~ 308k

Vita means life.

Yakuzaice said:
Clyde32 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
Also, VGC has Super Smash Bros. for Wii U overtracked right?

Probably by about 50-100K. 

They said it surpassed 1.5M, so that's anywhere between 1.5-1.6M

While they didn't specify in this month's PR, that number likely includes digital.  So the retail sell through would be a bit lower.

Aqua confirmed last month that the game's digital sales are quite low.

Playstation_awaiter said:
Awe yiss, Sony I want that gap ms got over the holidays erased ASAP!

Don't worry playstation,  you won't have to (a)wait long :P