By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's Amiibo platform is shaping up

"While under development, it was internally referred to as 'NFP (Nintendo Figurine Platform).' In other words, we were spreading the message inside the company that Amiibo would be a 'platform.' What we are offering with one Amiibo figure is the ability to experience a range of entertainment with a variety of software."

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/27/deconstructing-nintendo/

With news about having an Amiibo ONLY SSB4 tournament, Nintendo is making good on it's promise, at least in Japan.  But it doesn't stop there.  Nintendo is best optimising the uniqueness of Amiibo.  Think trading card games, how they have rare or common cards and everyone is trading to get the ones they like best or most powerful cards.  That's happening with Amiibo, with things like the golden Mario or how Nintendo has been introducing them in separate waves.  The question begs, what's the next unique Amiibo Nintendo is going to release at a limited quantity? Don't know, but it's going to sell out quick.

As for the tournament, well that in itself is major.  That's like the second best thing to real life pokemon battles.  I won't lie, I'm attached to my Peach that I've trained in SSB4Wii U as if it were a Pikachu, or at least a nano-pet.  That's the reason why Amiibo to me is so compelling.  Not right now, but if Nintendo keeps putting effort into it, I won't be the only one caring so much about my individual Amiibo. 

Also, future Amiibo specific game with each physical copy bundled with a random amiibo at $59.99.  Calling it.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/mar/07/nintendo-organizing-nationwide-amiibo-only-super-smash-bros-wii-u-tournament-japan/

Around the Network

Nintendo is supporting this amiibo concept much more than I thought they would. When they were revealed at E3, I kinda figured they would just be this one-off thing for Smash. Turns out they're much bigger than that.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Yup, amiibo has a lot of potential... as long as Nintendo continues to support it in new and innovating ways

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I really hope they make a game where amiibos will show their usefulness and I really hope they make a ZSS swimsuit edition as well

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Here's an idea. Tell me what you think. $20 dollars. An a-MII-bo. They could have 3D printers at GameStop that print a customized amiibo with your Mii likeness. We all have a Mii and wouldn't it be cool to have him as an amiibo? Special abilities included and it zaps your Mii into certain games where the Mii is already a selection slot in MK8, smash etc. Bam, where's my million dollars?

This surely beats my Mario party board game idea?

Around the Network
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Here's an idea. Tell me what you think. $20 dollars. An a-MII-bo. They could have 3D printers at GameStop that print a customized amiibo with your Mii likeness. We all have a Mii and wouldn't it be cool to have him as an amiibo? Special abilities included and it zaps your Mii into certain games where the Mii is already a selection slot in MK8, smash etc. Bam, where's my million dollars?

I don't know.  First off, would Nintendo have to pioritize these 3D printers, or would they buy from companies that sell 3D printers to avoid lawsuits.  As well, how do they get these 3D printers into Walmart's hands, all walmarts or just super walmarts all across the United states and canada, then of all Europe or Asia markets and so on.  Also, how much does a quality 3D printer cost nowadays, I'm sure they're not cheap.  Not to mention nintendo having to rearrange their whole production business and contracts with suppliers and transporting new equipment from walmart or whatever contracted retailer.  How much exactly would the start of this undertaking need and how long will they wait to finally start making a profit? 

Too much factors.  It's like hoping Nintendo create smartphones, just too many factors.

Ouroboros24 said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

I don't know.  First off, would Nintendo have to pioritize these 3D printers, or would they buy from companies that sell 3D printers to avoid lawsuits.  As well, how do they get these 3D printers into Walmart's hands, all walmarts or just super walmarts all across the United states and canada, then of all Europe or Asia markets and so on.  Also, how much does a quality 3D printer cost nowadays, I'm sure they're not cheap.  Not to mention nintendo having to rearrange their whole production business and contracts with suppliers and transporting new equipment from walmart or whatever contracted retailer.  How much exactly would the start of this undertaking need and how long will they wait to finally start making a profit? 

Too much factors.  It's like hoping Nintendo create smartphones, just too many factors.

3D printers are very cheap nowadays. A few thousand actually. They could set it up like those key machines you see at Home Depot. Or else you could potentially just order your amiibo from the eshop. Your pretty critics, of my idea. Is it because I think outside the box? Like your saying they would have to send equipment to Walmart or wherever? They already have to do that you know? To say it would 100% fail as an idea is too harsh. And it's nothing like making smart phones. A few thousand 3D printers across a continent isn't expensive and would turn a profit quickly. But you're entitled to your opinion and me mine. 

Ouroboros24 said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

They could avoid all of these factors just by selling custom amiibo online. I don't see any reason to make everything more difficult. I have also mentioned this idea a few times and I think it would work really well. There are only so many combinations, and essentially everything is just accessories on a base M/F body type so it shouldn't be very difficult to produce them in high quantities.

cfin2987@gmail.com said:
Ouroboros24 said:

3D printers are very cheap nowadays. A few thousand actually. They could set it up like those key machines you see at Home Depot. Or else you could potentially just order your amiibo from the eshop. Your pretty critics, of my idea. Is it because I think outside the box? Like your saying they would have to send equipment to Walmart or wherever? They already have to do that you know? To say it would 100% fail as an idea is too harsh. And it's nothing like making smart phones. A few thousand 3D printers across a continent isn't expensive and would turn a profit quickly. But you're entitled to your opinion and me mine. 

I said I don't know.  All I did was ask questions.  I actually like your idea, but really what are the steps for Nintendo to have that if they started right now?  That's what I wanted to know.  Just to many factors. 

If I really wanted to shut down your idea, I would mention that it would take away from the charm and it would no longer be like trading cards.  Nintendo wouldn't have any say to what gets made under their Amiibo line.  And that my friend is anarchy and we all know nintendo isn't willing to let go of their money grip on the populace.

sundin13 said:
Ouroboros24 said:

They could avoid all of these factors just by selling custom amiibo online. I don't see any reason to make everything more difficult. I have also mentioned this idea a few times and I think it would work really well. There are only so many combinations, and essentially everything is just accessories on a base M/F body type so it shouldn't be very difficult to produce them in high quantities.

You're probably right, although I liked the get up and go feel. The build a bear work shop feel where people could see it printing. Nintendo shops would be awesome, although I know that won't happen.