By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rock Band 4 not coming to Wii U because "the audience is not there"

oniyide said:

Just Dance is not a comparable franchise. Guitar Hero is and Just Dance is not the series anyone should be following an example of as that series long fell of sales and relevance wise

I don't think it's unfair to compare JD and RB. The their core - they are both music rythem games. You'd have a better point if previous Wii versions of Rock Band didn't sell comparably well to other consoles. This genre traditionally does passably well on both Wii and Wii U consoles.

To MikeRox's comment - RB/GH are games that appeal to everyone, that is the type of people that don't neccessarily go online to post about games in forums. As a result, it doesn't surprise me that a survey of community comments doesn't yield much support for Nintendo platforms. Previous sales within the franchise and in compable genres should have much more weight.

run away! 

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
champybh said:
bummed about this decision - i might have to throw away my wii compatible plastic instruments finally.

also surprised - there's no data that supports the fact that RB 4 wouldn't sell on Wii U. Comparable franchises (JD) sells better on Nintendo consoles now than anywhere else. There is a market for this game.

They conducted research with their active community. Wii U was one of the platforms listed when they both asked what formats you own and what format you would purchase Rock Band 4 on. They also asked things like do you want to use/buy new instruments or existing? 

Chuck in the fact that you can ALREADY play Rock Band on Wii U and it seems perfectly logical to leave the Wii U version for now.

A poll with this kind of game won't mean much since the main buyers will only know about it when marketing starts. It's also the opposite of "perfectly logical" to skip wii u.

oniyide said:
champybh said:
bummed about this decision - i might have to throw away my wii compatible plastic instruments finally.

also surprised - there's no data that supports the fact that RB 4 wouldn't sell on Wii U. Comparable franchises (JD) sells better on Nintendo consoles now than anywhere else. There is a market for this game.

Just Dance is not a comparable franchise. Guitar Hero is and Just Dance is not the series anyone should be following an example of as that series long fell of sales and relevance wise

So, exactly like Rock Band? Sounds like a perfect franchise to compare it.

Materia-Blade said:
MikeRox said:

They conducted research with their active community. Wii U was one of the platforms listed when they both asked what formats you own and what format you would purchase Rock Band 4 on. They also asked things like do you want to use/buy new instruments or existing? 

Chuck in the fact that you can ALREADY play Rock Band on Wii U and it seems perfectly logical to leave the Wii U version for now.

A poll with this kind of game won't mean much since the main buyers will only know about it when marketing starts. It's also the opposite of "perfectly logical" to skip wii u.

I agree its obviously economics 101 to ignore your core user base's (the one still playing and buying DLC now) feedback on what they want from your product and instead put all your limited resources into putting the game on a console it is already available on and also failing spectacularly in the marketplace.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

gabzjmm23 said:
It is just a lame excuse that there isn't a market for Wii U. Just say directly that we don't want to built a game for this console. They've mentioned that old instruments would work on the new gen (or at least try to make it work)
So wii owners that have these plastic RB instruments is already a target group of consumers. Which can also translate into console buyers for this game since the old instrument would work... The Wii game itself is backward compatible just make that version work in Wii U with an update plus new DLCs... Still money generation to me...

wii owners, wii owners, why do people keep bringing this up? Wii has nothing to do with this. Wii owners are NOT buying WiiU thats the problem. Whether those instruments are backward compatable is irrelevant. So what? are people going to buy Wii Us in droves for RB4? They didnt for 2d Marios, they didnt for new Wii Sports or Fit and those were way bigger

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
oniyide said:

So, exactly like Rock Band? Sounds like a perfect franchise to compare it.

its stupid to emulate a series that has fallen and continues to fall. At the very least the RB franchise itself has had a break as we havent seen a main one in years. Just Dance just keeps trucking into obscrurity so no it isnt exactly like RB and Harmonix would do well to keep it that way.

champybh said:
oniyide said:

I don't think it's unfair to compare JD and RB. The their core - they are both music rythem games. You'd have a better point if previous Wii versions of Rock Band didn't sell comparably well to other consoles. This genre traditionally does passably well on both Wii and Wii U consoles.

To MikeRox's comment - RB/GH are games that appeal to everyone, that is the type of people that don't neccessarily go online to post about games in forums. As a result, it doesn't surprise me that a survey of community comments doesn't yield much support for Nintendo platforms. Previous sales within the franchise and in compable genres should have much more weight.

using the sucess of Wii titles to determine if something will do well on WIiU is foolish and i honestly dont know why people keep bringing it up, especially when we have evidence that even on WIi the games started to sell less and less. No they traditionally do no sell well on Wii U most non Ninty games havent and thats the point. Just Dance doesnt sell great on Wii U hell even Nintys own light Wii like games have flopped hard on Wii U

MikeRox said:
Materia-Blade said:

I agree its obviously economics 101 to ignore your core user base's (the one still playing and buying DLC now) feedback on what they want from your product and instead put all your limited resources into putting the game on a console it is already available on and also failing spectacularly in the marketplace.

Not launching on wii u is ignoring an important part of their userbase. Who cares if the previous wii titles can run on wii u? those are old games and won't make any money for the developers.

oniyide said:

using the sucess of Wii titles to determine if something will do well on WIiU is foolish and i honestly dont know why people keep bringing it up, especially when we have evidence that even on WIi the games started to sell less and less. No they traditionally do no sell well on Wii U most non Ninty games havent and thats the point. Just Dance doesnt sell great on Wii U hell even Nintys own light Wii like games have flopped hard on Wii U

ay yae yae, no need to upset yourself. Wii is in the conversation because Rock Band 3 came out on the last generation of consoles.

X360 - 0.84

Wii - 0.62

PS3 - 0.55

Well what about the most recent Guitar Hero game... Warriors of Rock (2010)

X360 - 0.85

Wii - 0.93

PS3 - 0.79

Obviously these sales aren't spectacular but it proves a greater point that Nintendo was just as relevant in the franchises previous release as Microsoft and Sony. Now let's look at Just Dance, as mentioned previously - a game that's relevant because it's a music/rhythm game that has seen decreasing sales on all platforms over time. ...

JD 2014 (2013)

X360 / X1 1.29 mil
PS3/PS4 0.64 mil
Wii/Wii U 3.96 mil

JD 2015 (2014)

X360 / X1 0.67 mil
PS3/PS4 0.37 mil
Wii/Wii U 2.12 mil

While sales for music games over time have decreased across the board ... Nintendo has remained competitive in each Rock Band/Guitar Hero/Just Dance release. If anything this argument says that there is probably legitimate reason to develop for the Wii as well as the Wii U. So enough of the name calling - i think there's more than enough evidence here that would show these games selling on Nintendo's consoles. If anything we should rather be arguing if a new Rock Band can actually sell big numbers again at all. Or is plastic instrument gaming officially dead in the water

run away! 

I dont see a problem in this.
If any developer or publisher do decide to not release on wii u, i will just not buy their games.
Where is the problem? They want to sell a product and if they are to lazy to release their games on my console, okay.

There are more then 100 Wii U games i still did not played and there are much other coming this year like:
Xenoblade, Zelda, Starfox, The Tantalus Port, New game from Disney, Yoshi, Devils Third, New game from retro studios (i guess metroid) and even more.
I will just buy these games. I have no problem in not buying your games @third party developers. But i think you will get a problem if 10M Wii U owners wont buy your games ;)

The only problem is, most people are to weak to defend their one console. They just want a game so bad that they buy a second console or pc for the game, and if they do so, they buy all the games on the other system.
With this behavior, the third party wins and will never come to wii u back.
Why should they? They safe the cost for a wii u port and still sell their games, because people get 2 consoles.
But im ok with that.
There is no reason to not bring ANY actual game not to wii u. It could handle alle actual games easily. Maybe not in 1080p but in 600-720p.

Im ok with that, I got enough games to play. You wont see my money.