By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Professional game dev explains why Sony's Morpheus won't get much backing from developers.

Tachikoma said:
Links on my profile.

Sweet!

Around the Network

Yeah, it's to be expected. Sony has to do the work for now. Only if their games take off and sell some VR devices, other devs will follow. As soon as they see dem dollar$, they won't hesitate to port everything and their mother for it.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

From the same user:

[–]gambiting 1 point 13 days ago

I've lived in two European countries and I don't know a single person who flosses. It seems to me like something that only Americans do.

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN AND HIS GUM DISEASE.

Reads like lazy developers again, we had this excuse all last gen when they couldn't make games for such and such a device, or couldn't render it to the best of their abilities. The excuses are wearing thin. I understand if it costs more money, say that, we won't get offended by "sorry, we just can't afford it."

But oh, well, I'm not a developer so I wouldn't know.

Hmm, pie.

FFV seem to be a decent if not great horror game. Reception was been good amongst gamers as well. The visuals are OK at best for a WII U game but I don't think it's fair to bash the whole game(on your stream) just to prove a point in its visuals compared to other games. Anyways, not the topic.

Around the Network

Yeah I've been seeing the VR hype-train for a while now, and I still don't get why people think this will be successful anytime soon.

VR being successful needs to be taken up by the masses and there are too many roadblocks to that atm. Sony coming in wont really help as Sony has a checklist approach to tech like this. It exists but they wont go full steam ahead with it for it to be successful. A few games will come out from them, they'll fund a few more through third parties and some indies will jump on, and maybe some of the bigger companies will have a VR mode or something, and that'll be it.

How it looks, its graphics really don't matter, its success depends on developer support(which it seems will be a pain, along with the fact that most developers wont be supporting VR anyway) and it being cheap enough to afford and appealing enough for the consumer to pick up, which again comes down to games and how much games and which high profile or good games will have them.

There's also stuff like aesthetics(while wearing them) and awkwardness for the average consumer, but i don't think that its that much of a problem for most.

Kowan said:

FFV seem to be a decent if not great horror game. Reception was been good amongst gamers as well. The visuals are OK at best for a WII U game but I don't think it's fair to bash the whole game(on your stream) just to prove a point in its visuals compared to other games. Anyways, not the topic.

bashing them based on hands on experience with a copy of the game im bought has more merit than defending one based purely off of screenshots.

Tachikoma said:
Kowan said:

bashing them based on hands on experience with a copy of the game im bought has more merit than defending one based purely off of screenshots.

I would still disagree with you that Summer Lesson was even up to the visual quality of FFV honestly, but we can agree to disagree. That said FFV does have some glaring faults (some I didn't even know about), but with that said seems like it has bigger ambition than I thought it would. Summer Lesson seems like a 1 room game, which still leaves me to wander who it would appeal to?

Let's put this another way. Post a pic  that looks good that looks like an entire game and not a mini game. 

So now all of a sudden some people think graphics matters and inovation is unnecessary?

I know that if Sony put at least one ND level game (QD or SSM could do as well) for it I would bite the 200 even if Just for the novelty.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

bigtakilla said:
Tachikoma said:

I would still disagree with you that Summer Lesson was even up to the visual quality of FFV honestly, but we can agree to disagree. That said FFV does have some glaring faults (some I didn't even know about), but with that said seems like it has bigger ambition than I thought it would. Summer Lesson seems like a 1 room game, which still leaves me to wander who it would appeal to?

Let's put this another way. Post a pic  that looks good that looks like an entire game and not a mini game. 

Summer Lessons is meant as an eduational game, or at least thats the "intent", obviously there will be those that buy it purely for the perving on a schoolgirl aspect, but the intent is to learn lessons/etc and assist with study for those who are too shy and/or scared to socialize normally, it:s not intended to be a long game with a story and a plot.

I will happily point to The Heist, however, as the closest thing to a retail game for Morpheus right now.

Keeping in mind the device is still virtually a year away from actual release.