By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Project Morpheus coming first half of 2016 with OLED Display 1080p/120 FPS

Normchacho said:
Tachikoma said:
Suggestion: Buy move controllers now, they're going to be hard to find/expensive this time next year.

That's actually a good point haha

Everyone! Go buy the move controllers and the camera now! You won't be able to when this launches.

Speaking of Move, I wonder what the updated sales numbers are for it.  It was at 15M back in Nov '12, so I would imagine it must have passed 20M by now.  If Morpheus catches on, those sales could skyrocket.  Which means I hope Sony can sell Morpheus for $149-$199, cause I can't really see it being a success selling for much more than that.

Around the Network
super6646 said:

This is probably going to be useless for PS4, since its not powerful enough. Personally, this is something that's come a generation to early!

Not according to Digital Foundry.

"The demo is short and sweet but does enough to demonstrate that PlayStation 4 has the power to create a visually detailed experience while maintaining a coherent stereoscopic image at a sufficiently high frame-rate."

Are they going to be games that look like The Order?  No.  But they will still look better than PS3 games.

my price prediction 300-350USD on NA, more then that it will be difficult to compete with Occulus rift and valve new VR.

The dream is about to come true!

the-pi-guy said:
zelmusario said:
Device looks amazing, specs are top notch! *drool* There's no way a piece of tech like that could be under $300.

I think the resolution is still a bit low, but I've got a little bit of hope it'll be cheaper than we expect.  

Still I think it looks like a great headset.  

have you hot a smartphone? is it at least  1080p smartphone? is at at least 5"? 

If the answer to all those questions is yes then try something. put that screen as close to your face as possible till u get to a point where you can still see the screen without too much painful eye strain. Then imagine that the optics in the VR devices makes it possible for those screens to sit much much closer to ur eyes.... you will be pleasantly surprised. 

Around the Network

I wonder if it will also double as a stationary, headset screen for ALL PS4 games? I see no reason why not.

The PS5 Exists. 

kristianity77 said:
Lets not kid ourselves here. Whilst its entirely possible that this thing can output 1080p at 120fps you need to remember the graphical hit that is gonna take place in order to get there. Your going to be talking seriously scaled back effects and textures to hit those frame rates so anyone expecting to play normal quality PS4 titles is going to be disappointed. Your more likely to be looking at upscaled PS3 quality visuals in order to achieve this.

i honestly wouldnt mind that. PS3 visuals with smooth AA (doesnt have to be the best) and VR? im in. from what i understand from the reactions from people who used VR, that is when you use it you see the visuals so much better than you would do on a screen. so i am very ok with that. 

kitler53 said:
kristianity77 said:
Lets not kid ourselves here. Whilst its entirely possible that this thing can output 1080p at 120fps you need to remember the graphical hit that is gonna take place in order to get there. Your going to be talking seriously scaled back effects and textures to hit those frame rates so anyone expecting to play normal quality PS4 titles is going to be disappointed. Your more likely to be looking at upscaled PS3 quality visuals in order to achieve this.

so much speculation about graphics.  why not just look at the pics of the updated demos people were playing today.

it's no uncharted 4 but it looks nice.  artistic styles will probably be more cartoony than realistic to work.

...actually that's the first good news wrt to any VR to me.

agreed. id love stylized graphics top be the norm with VR. imagine playing a game with bloodborne's style or tear aways style. would be epic. 

that second pic looks great! 

$200 would be a sweet spot but im expecting it to be $300.

The new Project Morpheus is the best VR headset yet according to Gizmodo.

"I just survived a shark attack. I just stole a priceless diamond in an upscale London heist. I did it with Sony's new Project Morpheus headset. It's the best I've ever tried.

I've used a lot of VR headsets. Each one's a tiny bit better than the last. The picture's always a little clearer, the experience a little less likely to make me violently sick. Sony's new Morpheus prototype is no exception. But in one key way, it stands head and shoulders above the rest.

There are many fancy technological ways Morpheus leapfrogs the competition. The new OLED screen can update at 120 frames per second, making for images that are smoother than anything we've seen so far. "

Don't copy random editorials.