By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Exclusive: Critics Admit To Lowering Scores For Attention.

Do you agree ?

Yes 173 74.57%

No 59 25.43%

Total:232
Lawlight said:
curl-6 said:
Thing is, they raise scores to curry the favor of fans as well.

I think that's done mostly for Nintendo games. How these games are not docked points for being more of the same is a blatant red flag.

Compare NSMBU with NSMBWii, or NSMB and NSMB2. The sequals have lower scores. Then compare Mario 64 with Sunshine and Galaxy. All VERY different games! I don't even think you know what you're talking about here. I don't think you've played a Nintendo game in quite a while, or at least, that's what it sounds like. Zelda WW isn't very similar to TP or SS or ALBW. If a game should get docked down because they're following a formula set by its predecessor, ALL FPS games and action adventures and sports games should be docked down; they're ALL following a certain formula set in their genre.

I saw that Samus Aran gave you a pretty good reply as well. Let's see your answer to that.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Completely agree with this article. And it makes perfect sense. Game reviews are free, so if you are getting a service that is paid for by ad revenue then what truly matters is attention and not quality.

I think this is mainly why this kinda nonsense didn't happen back in the 90s and 80s. Back then we all bought mags.

This is the point of the article.   Simply this.

Of course everybody is entitled to his opinion, but too ofter we have biased reviews, and often reviews written by people who do not have any skill or experience in videogames.  An opinion must have some knowledge/experience/integrity behind; too easy to say 'this is my opinion', an opinion has zero weight if you don't know what you are talking about. If I review a car, I drive it, without having any experience of handling, etc, how the hell my opinion should be taken seriously ? The point is, too many people, journalists, random people write reviews just because the have keyboards and video equipment.

Nobody is discussing the opinion of competent and honest people.  

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

I use AdBlocker Edge and never based any game purchase on any review score, but sadly I'm sure I'm a minority.

Thanks jlmurph!

curl-6 said:
teigaga said:
ALthough I know this happens, I don't think critics are getting worse, I think gamers are getting worse. When people anticipate a game nowadays they want it to have the highest metacritic possible and attack any review which doesn't serve this purpose. 

This. Too many gamers have adopted a "shoot the messenger" attitude where they crucify reviewers for having different opinions to them.

True. But this is another Topic.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

This is known.

I swear on the old gods and the.new.

Around the Network
Burek said:

Printed magazines are not dependent on ad revenue? Wow, I.....just wow.

I strongly suggest you take a step back and look at the big picture. 

On one hand you have a system where money is generated solely by traffic and in the other you have a system where its the quality and integrity of the product that creates the traffic . That quality has to be really their to warrant people paying for it. 

If you can honestly sit there and say or assume that its the exact same thing then there really would be no point having this discussion with you. 

But think of it this way, imagine that you had to pay to read a review on a site. And that every review on the market was behind a pay wall. That game reviews are a paid service and only this that pay are able to see the reviews. Do you think clicbaiy reviews will still exist? Do you think companies that get paid to provide reviews would scrutinize their staff more and validate their credentials and/or qualifications more? Do you think these companies would risk the credibility of their publications for handouts and/or trinkents from publishers? 

What's funny is, if their is a site that offers restricted paid for ad free access to take news, interviews and reviews... I'll  sign up in a heart beat. 

Hmmm... that gives me an idea. 

I kinda imagined this, even though many people would've labeled me as insane just for thinking that reviewers lowered their scores for a game just to have more hits. I'm sure The Order has its defects, but the dishonesty from the reviewers is really hurting the game, detracting people that would've still liked the game despite its shortcomings. I dare to say that the overall reviewers' reputation is now on the line. They are wrongly skewing the perception of games, and obviously developers aren't going to take that kindly.

Samus Aran said:
Lawlight said:

I think that's done mostly for Nintendo games. How these games are not docked points for being more of the same is a blatant red flag.

Fifa, MLB, Uncharted, GoW, CoD, Assasins Creed, New Super Mario Bros., Pokémon, Halo

Stop acting like it only happens to Nintendo lol.

Not the same, I got to give credit to nintendo here since they dont rehash the same on an anual basis(aside from pokemon wich is happeninng now to do aanual releases). They at least wait 3 years for another game, some only get one game per gen like smash, zelda, kart and others. Even if they where the same thing, we get a little brake and the improvemnts feel more meningfull cuz we get years acumulated of improobements than a little one every year.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

like i already explained in detail.
the article barely scrapes the top frost off of the iceberg that is corruption in the media.

This is not news, this was known for ever. What would be news is if they claimed that they got payed to raise a few points. Although we also know this, it would be a lot more impactfull and everyone would scream "I KNEW IT". Then there would be thread listing all the games MS has probably payed of the reviews or has sites in their pockets, then the fans would react and make some for sony, it would be chaos and I would love it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.