By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Exclusive: Critics Admit To Lowering Scores For Attention.

Do you agree ?

Yes 173 74.57%

No 59 25.43%

Total:232
ryuzaki57 said:
eva01beserk said:

Are you actually sayiing that a game should be judge primarily for its graphics? If so my good sir you really dont know video games.

Absolutely not, I'm just saying graphics shouldn't be ignored when putting scores.

I agree with you there, but out of 100% of the score, graphics should only acount for 10% max of that total score for any game.

Unless you tell me is for one of  those stupid tale tell games where there is actually no gameplay then it should be like 50%.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
curl-6 said:

Maybe because reviewers don't assess games solely on graphics?

Yes, but PS4/Vita games never get credits for having top graphics. 3DS games aren't penalised for having 10-year old graphics. That's not normal, gamers derserve the best tech and journalists deny that by being soft on Nintendo games.

Furthermore, gameplay, story, etc. are very subjective aspects and can be manipulated easily. 

Reviewers widely praised the graphics of games like Killzone Shadowfall, The Order, Diveclub, etc. 

Although if we're going to judge graphics by a universal standard instead of the standards of its hardware, that would inevitably lead to PS4 games being compared unfavourably to their PC counterparts. There's also the issue that graphics aren't just how potent your visual technology is, but how you use it. 

This hasn't just been going on for years with video games, it's been going on for millennia from the moment someone realized that if you say something that's popular sucks will get you attention. Thousands of years ago you had Plato crawling all over Socrates' balls at his academy and Aristophanes sits back and just goes, "You know what, fuck this nigga," and writes the clouds just to be a dick, though it wasn't all that well received but that's besides the point.

eva01beserk said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Absolutely not, I'm just saying graphics shouldn't be ignored when putting scores.

I agree with you there, but out of 100% of the score, graphics should only acount for 10% max of that total score for any game.

Unless you tell me is for one of  those stupid tale tell games where there is actually no gameplay then it should be like 50%.

10% is way too low. 25%, I think is better. Games should be compared to each other within their generation.  If a game looks like last gen graphically, it should be notably penalized for that in it's review and the scoring. There's too much click bait and fans/bloggers writing reviews. Hence why i don't take the majority of reviews seriously.

curl-6 said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Yes, but PS4/Vita games never get credits for having top graphics. 3DS games aren't penalised for having 10-year old graphics. That's not normal, gamers derserve the best tech and journalists deny that by being soft on Nintendo games.

Furthermore, gameplay, story, etc. are very subjective aspects and can be manipulated easily. 

Reviewers widely praised the graphics of games like Killzone Shadowfall, The Order, Diveclub, etc. 

Although if we're going to judge graphics by a universal standard instead of the standards of its hardware, that would inevitably lead to PS4 games being compared unfavourably to their PC counterparts. There's also the issue that graphics aren't just how potent your visual technology is, but how you use it. 

Maybe multiplatform games would, but Driveclub and The Order: 1886 look better than the vast majority of PC games. Also, to top it, Driveclub is a superb game while The Order: 1886 is very good at what it attempted to do. So while graphics should have been considered they aren't all that is to be considered.

Killzone: Shadow Fall ios an exception of course, that game sucked imo.

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:
curl-6 said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Maybe multiplatform games would, but Driveclub and The Order: 1886 look better than the vast majority of PC games. Also, to top it, Driveclub is a superb game while The Order: 1886 is very good at what it attempted to do. So while graphics should have been considered they aren't all that is to be considered.

Killzone: Shadow Fall ios an exception of course, that game sucked imo.

As with most consoles though, the majority of PS4's games are multiplats, so comparisons wouldn't always be to its advantage. Then again, I think we can agree it's not really fair to compare a console to a high end PC, which was kind of my point.

And even reviews that found games like Driveclub and The Order lacking overall still commmented on how good their graphics were.

It works both ways, but there are more unjustified low scores than higher ones. After actually playing some of the 7s and 6s, I can say this for a fact.

The Order and Dying Light are the two most recent victims of this, though the user community seems to be redeeming both luckily. However on the flip side, Evolve recieves a suprising amounts of praise from critics. Some games like Infamous and Sunset Overdrive it becomes a wash and averages out fairly, but it is leaning to one extreme or the other way too often. Reviewers these days are a joke for the most part, and this is coming from a former game reviewer. To be honest, with shareplay and twitch, reviews are becoming more pointless these days which may aid in recent behavior. Reviews are a dying breed and as they continue to try to please devs or release clickbait articles, they are speeding up the process. As they are revealed untrustworthy, less people visit their website. They are focusing too much on the short term and not enough on the long term.

I feel bad for the honest ones, and while this kind of practice has been around for a while, it is good that it is being acknowledged by the community as it is not fair to the devs to lose sales over hack reviews.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Squeezol said:
All I wonder is.. Was 7.8/10 too much water done for attention too or does the reviewer really think it's a good point?

IGN is too big for obvious click-baits. IMO Ruby/Sapphire had too much water when compared to Johto and Kanto maps, on the other hand mentioning it as a major flaw without any reasoning was probably stupid.

Just like the article Skyrim vs Dark Souls, which spawned the infamous Winner:Dark Souls -meme.

-Ack!- said:
Squeezol said:
All I wonder is.. Was 7.8/10 too much water done for attention too or does the reviewer really think it's a good point?

IGN is too big for obvious click-baits. IMO Ruby/Sapphire had too much water when compared to Johto and Kanto maps, on the other hand mentioning it as a major flaw without any reasoning was probably stupid.

Just like the article Skyrim vs Dark Souls, which spawned the infamous Winner:Dark Souls -meme.

Someone compared Skyrim to Dark souls and wrote any article about it. lol. I never saw it. 

oniyide said:
eva01beserk said:

Not the same, I got to give credit to nintendo here since they dont rehash the same on an anual basis(aside from pokemon wich is happeninng now to do aanual releases). They at least wait 3 years for another game, some only get one game per gen like smash, zelda, kart and others. Even if they where the same thing, we get a little brake and the improvemnts feel more meningfull cuz we get years acumulated of improobements than a little one every year.

This is how i genuinly feel and it is actually one of the things i do like about Nintendo. Now with that being said, serious question. Are these improvements ACTUALLY meaningful or do they FEEL meaningful because the gap in time between games is so much wider than most? 

I think the answer is, do the improvements ADD something to the already established formula? If it adds something, then I think they're meaningful. Do they enhance your experience? And that answer is gonna be different for everyone that plays the game. For me, the motion controls of Zelda SS was something that added something for me, so that was meaningful for me. Sometimes, it was immerive breaking, but most of the time they were a great addition. The same thing goes for the Silent Realm in the same game; it was nice to change up the pacing and mechanics of the game some times.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.