By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda isn't big in Japan. Or is it?

KyleeStrutt said:
They are but they're data doesn't go as far back as Famitsu :P

There's also stuff like the rating of the games to consider, Zelda is something for a more broad audience while MGS is decidedly more adult (not that it matters a lot)

And while GZ wasn't super popular, it was essentially a demo (an awesome one!) yet it still managed to greatly outsell WWHD, so there's that too.

I'm derailing your thread here, so if you want to compare MGS & Zelda it'll be for another time.

Good points. And I don't mind, really. I appreciate the feedback. Maybe it'll become a topic in the future.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

Look at the late entries. Looking at what the original LoZ did on the NES won't answer your question.

Ka-pi96 said:
Cloudman said:
Yeah, I'd say of all the Ninten franchises, Zelda is talked about less in Japan, but I have met some Zelda fans. However, Mario is the big title, and then pokemon somewhat.

Mario bigger than Pokemon in Japan? You sure?

Almost everyone knows Mario in Japan, and there is a lot of merch of the franchise, like cups, plates, and cards. Pokemon is talked less about from kids, cept some more kids into anime that like Pokemon. Yokai Watch is more talked about at the moment.

Granted I haven't been to the pokemon center in a while. That place can get filled with the fan base with 3DSs opened : ) Of course, this is just from personally experience.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Teeqoz said:
Look at the late entries. Looking at what the original LoZ did on the NES won't answer your question.

Zelda performed relatively well on the N64, GCN, GB, DS and 3DS. The only ones I feel like it really underperformed were the Wii and GBA.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

It's a Japanese IP that is more popular in the west than in Japan, which makes it special. Of course it sells a bit in Japan but compare the West/East ratios of other Japanese IPs and you see where this sentiment comes from.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

USA has 2.5 times as big population as Japan (North America is 2.8 as big) If you factor this in you will see that there is not that big of a difference in the relative sales. For some reasons Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Link's Awakening and The Minish Cap sold considerabley less in Japan than NA when sales are adjusted for population.

Not big, but bigger that a lot of other games, like Persona.

on consoles i don't think it's big anymore. the wii sales were not that big despite a good install base. The 3ds it's a good bit bigger on there. I wouldn't say it's small or big. It's in the middle. Basically very relevant.

it's true zelda has died off over time, but 1 million sold on a home console is like a miracle these days if you're not one of the elite few franchises. With the state of the Wii U we will be lucky to see 10 million sellers (some duplicate franchises) the whole generation in Japan between Wii U and PS4. Right now there is only 1.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Of course it's still big. It's just that the most recent titles didn't do as well as the best selling ones and people like to call doom and gloom for nintendo.