By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The thread about mysticism and meta-physics. Today's topic homosexuality

reggin_bolas said:
mornelithe said:
reggin_bolas said:

This isn't a thread about positivism and epistemology. I don't care what the scientific establishment thinks. You can't prove a negative anyway which is why atheism is illogical. 

This is a thread which requires a bit of imagination, and an open mind. Public knowledge of ET would indeed cause a ruckus. 

Which you don't have, so why are you even writing in it?

Science does not require you to care.  The fact that you're even capable of writing on this here board lends science more credibility than anything you've ever done (or likely will do).

I have a very open mind. I think you (assuming you are gay) are very brave. I have purposefully chosen to avoid the homosexual medium. I don't hate you or anyone else. I just don't think it's something worth cheering over. It's a condition limiting in the same vein as a physical handicap for example. Your quality of life is greatly reduced. 

Referring to science and caring: Yes it does, science is a paradigm which yields knowledge. It is however just a method for discovery and not an absolute authority over existential matters. What it hasn't discovered yet is not proof of nonexistence and should not be used as a basis for refutation. It's lazy and narrow-minded. 

Nope, I'm not gay, I'm straight as an arrow, but I'd fight to the death for their right to live as equals.  To the death.  Take that however you want to.  Science has never claimed to be an authority on anything, that's what the religious do.  Science is our 'best' explanation for the observable Universe, far, far better than any meta-physical mumbo jumbo, otherwise we'd probably still be tossing infants into post holes for housing supports, as a means to ensure the house would never collapse, or sacrificing children for a good harvest.

No, lazy and narrow-minded is assuming you know the answer, without anything to suggest that's the case, other than the words of people who had no concept of quantum mechanics, or that the Earth is but a microscopic dot in a much larger Universe.  Again, science assumes nothing, but it also presumes nothing either (which is what you're doing here).  Science works with the repeatable and the predictable.  You can lay claim to no such thing.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Panther111 said:
Read through the beginning post, and you stated your bias... My life as gay has been mostly been a bed of roses... Would never want to be straight, not in this life or the other lives...
Frankly, the beginning of this thread is disgusting and vile... Karmic balancing? I am here to have fun, live, and enjoy the company of others.
Weird how the moderators allow this piece of garbage published.

This is actually a habit of this user.  Thinly veiled trolling.  But hey, I guess you could get away with it if you're clever about it.  And me and you will probably be modded for calling it out. :-/

It wasnt veiled at all to me. The assumption that gays are born to suffer, feel pain and ridicule, be excluded from society... Not much subtetly there... The user was very selective about the "spiritual" sitations he used to make a point...      The thought of gay people having excellent and rich lives is probably something unimaginable to him.

OP is clearly intelligent but I can't find that there can be a discussion about homosexuality or human behavior purely based on a philosophical branch like metaphysics.

He's also very technical in his language, while frequent users of this forum talk in something a little more casual. I suggest going on Reddit or something.

.- -... -.-. -..

PieToast said:
OP is clearly intelligent but I can't find that there can be a discussion about homosexuality or human behavior purely based on a philosophical branch like metaphysics.

He's also very technical in his language, while frequent users of this forum talk in something a little more casual. I suggest going on Reddit or something.

O_o... Did you read the same OP as me?

reggin_bolas said:
mornelithe said:

that principle.  Burden of proof rests upon you, to provide evidence to suggest extraterrestrial civilizations exist, AND that they have somehow purged X from their societies.  Otherwise, there's that whole celestial teapot argument.

Onus probandi? Teapot analogy? Someone has studied Bertrand Russell. You realize his entire family went insane, many committing suicide? Even the philosopher himself admitted that Thomas proof of God was sound. 

I don't need any of that because you seem to conflate my thread dedicated to meta-physics with positivist scientism which was engendered for the express purpose of removing meta-physics from science.

Madness of the blood is one the dumbest arguments ever made, not to mention the sign of a weak argument.

Around the Network
PieToast said:

Intelligence isn't just the accumulation of knowledge. Especially if it's the wrong knowledge. And just because he throws one Latin term after another at us, doesn't mean that those who "talk in something a little more casual" are less intelligent than him.

If there was an esoteric twist and karmic consequences for someone, speaking in the language OP desires.

The ones with the karmic baggage are those who have to wake up every morning filled with hate, disgust, envy, discrimination bursting inside their core and occupying their minds... They have to live with themselves every day after all.

Like they have to wake up with the flu every morning, and coughs and sneezes all over everyone to release the sick feelings within them.

reggin_bolas said:
You guys are confusing atheism with skepticism. Ontology and epistemology and so forth.

Since you're criticizing others of confusing fields, here's a whole list of things you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

1) Metaphysics

2) Empiricism

3) Russell's position on the ontological argument. He supported Anselm's argument, not Aquinas's.

4) Atheism in general

5) Modal Logic. You will never derive a proof for god's existence out of logic, ESPECIALLY modal logic. You can thank Kant for that. Existence is not a predicate; ergo, using existential quantifiers in modal logic (eX: There exists a quantity x, such that...) to prove a thing's existence will never work. This is the chief reason why after Kant, no serious philosopher has bothered to try forming a logical argument for god's existence. There are a few obscure philosophers like Plantinga and such, but their reasoning in no way responds to Kant's point; mainly because Kant is right.

6) Onus Probandi... Oh wait. I'm not pretentious and trying to show off. The philosophical burden of proof.

7) Using merriam webster to argue a philosophical point instead of using the Oxford English Dictionary, which takes its definitions from actual sourced literature.

8) Ontology and epistemology

PieToast said:

Not really. I deal with people like this all the time. I call them "freshmen professors." They know just enough about the topics in question to appear well read to the layman, but actually have no in-depth knowledge once you poke at them further. The fact that he argued that Russell agreed with Aquinas, and that modal logic was an avenue to prove god's existence was a clear demonstration that he doesn't really know what he's talking about at all.

He talks that way to show off what he knows to everyone else. It's the whole point of making the thread. I'm not exaggerating when I say I talk with these people pretty much every day.

I just want to make clear that what he's saying isn't philosophy. It's pretentious nonsense.

Max... said:
PieToast said:

Intelligence isn't just the accumulation of knowledge. Especially if it's the wrong knowledge. And just because he throws one Latin term after another at us, doesn't mean that those who "talk in something a little more casual" are less intelligent than him.

I didn't say he was right, and I personally found the way he pushed his agenda offensive. He was very literal and technical with defining words like "atheism" and he wrote like just came out of his first philosophy class. 

People don't commonly dissect the word atheist and there's nothing wrong or less intelligent with talking without using big terms and I'm sorry that this is what you understood from my post.

.- -... -.-. -..