By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When is the Last Time you felt like you played something Truly New and Innovative?

Xenoblade chronicles.

I was amazed at how i could go wherever i wanted. I remember when i reached the forest area with a big chasm and a rope bridge. Going into the bridge i was thinking. Yeah, this is it. Theres gonna be invisible walls on this bridge to prevent me from falling, or i will just die from jumping and spawn at the start.
I tried it and i was marveled. I managed to jump off the bridge. There were no walls. i fell into the river down in the bottom. I didnt die. And down in the river there were more areas to explore down and up the river, populated with enemies and landmarks. That was the moment i concluded: This game is amazing/revolutionary! Every game should give you this degree of freedom to explore.

Oh did i mention that after that i swam until the waterfalls i could see in the distance? Yup, thats Xenoblade.

Around the Network

I'll have to go with Wonderful 101. I've never played an action/platform game that required me to draw shapes on a tablet in order to use different weapons. Really off-the-wall game in every respect, which made it extremely unique.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Neodegenerate said:
For me it was Bioshock. The world they built, the story structure, and the focus they put on all of that was something I hadn't experienced in FPS games beforehand. Granted, I never really played many FPS games.

First there was System Shock. I wish Bioshock was the first of its kind that I had played though. It was a better game but far less scary. System Shock 2 was a real struggle for me just because it made me too uncomfortable to play. Bioshock was brilliant though.

KilleyMc said:
Not long ago, The Wonderful 101 certainly felt unique.

I'd have to agree with this. Not my favourite game, but certainly innovative.

If I want something new I go to Xbox or Indie games. Even though they have some hits and misses at least they try to push variety and new possibilities in gaming. Without them there would be very little risk taken.

OT: Probably Minecraft for the way it allowed you to create many things with just your imagination, the way it handled circuits with redstone and how people could make full machines within a game was pretty innovative.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
I was a bit impressed by the gamepad on the Wii U when I used it on Nintendo Land, such as the Zelda game, the Luigi's Mansion ghost hunt, and the Metroid shooter game. It really showed off what the gamepad could do. Other that that, I was really impressed by Trauma Center on the Wii. I really enjoyed the use of wiimote and nunchuck of that game. I wish they would make one more...

I'll second this. I had no idea what Nintendoland was when I bought my Wii U but I was blown away by the responsiveness and intuitiveness of the gyro controls. They were very different from my experiences with accelermoter based games on my iphone and ipad.

knubie2 said:
Cloudman said:
I was a bit impressed by the gamepad on the Wii U when I used it on Nintendo Land, such as the Zelda game, the Luigi's Mansion ghost hunt, and the Metroid shooter game. It really showed off what the gamepad could do. Other that that, I was really impressed by Trauma Center on the Wii. I really enjoyed the use of wiimote and nunchuck of that game. I wish they would make one more...

I'll second this. I had no idea what Nintendoland was when I bought my Wii U but I was blown away by the responsiveness and intuitiveness of the gyro controls. They were very different from my experiences with accelermoter based games on my iphone and ipad.

Glad to know I`m not the only one who thinks so. : )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

mirrors edge

Xenoblade Chronicles easily.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

CoD4 was the last time I played an innovative online shooter.