By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sony & Microsoft discuss Blu Ray drive for 360

Onimusha12 said:

Not to pick sides in this mess but...

PS3 SKUs:

60GB - $600 (Now $450)
- Full BC with upscailing required, no rumble.
20GB - $500 (Now $300-$350)
- Full BC with upscailing required, no rumble, no Wi-Fi, various things missing.
80GB - $500
- Limited BC with upscailing required, no rumble.
40GB - $400
- No PS2 BC, still no rumble, but rumble controllers are available seperately (I think?).
Upcomming 120-180GB (which ever it will be) - $???
- ????

360 SKUs:

Core - $300
- Its a core unit 360. (Is a stripped down 360)
Standard - $400
- Its a standard 360. (Is a regulard 360)
Elite - $500
- Its an elite 360. (Has more stuff than regular 360)

Now which do you think is offering the most consumer confusion?

Ummm. There's way more for the 360 than that buddy.

Try the HDMI-equipped ones and the Falcon, and the two new motherboard or whatever... (someone clarify... lazy) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Around the Network

"While adding a Blu-ray drive to the Xbox 360 could make Microsoft more competitive with the PS3, it would also add further costs to the console. Microsoft could instead offer a Blu-ray drive as a plug-in peripheral."

This is most likely what's going to occur. Microsoft didn't include a HD-DVD drive into their console to begin with. I can't see them, at this late stage in the game, adding a Blu-ray player to the 360.

I see this as a win win situation for Sony. More Blu-ray players getting sold, more attention brought to the HD market, and many 360 gamers looking at a peripheral that will probably cost in the region of $300, might well be tempted to get a PS3 instead.

BottledSpringWater said:
Onimusha12 said:

PS3 SKUs:

60GB - $600 (Now $450)
- Full BC with upscailing required, no rumble, no Wi-Fi, various things missing.
80GB - $500
40GB - $400
- No PS2 BC, still no rumble, but rumble controllers are available seperately (I think?).
- ????

360 SKUs:

Core - $300
Standard - $400
Elite - $500

Try the HDMI-equipped ones and the Falcon, and the two new motherboard or whatever... (someone clarify... lazy) 

Very true. However these aren't presented to the consumer as choices, they're merely modifactions in the production of pre-existing SKUs. And while yes, very confusing, they're something the average consumer will really have no knowledge of.

Onimusha12 said:
BottledSpringWater said:
Onimusha12 said:

PS3 SKUs:

60GB - $600 (Now $450)
80GB - $500
40GB - $400
- ????

360 SKUs:

Core - $300
Standard - $400
Elite - $500

Very true. However these aren't presented to the consumer as choices, they're merely modifactions in the production of pre-existing SKUs. And while yes, very confusing, they're something the average consumer will really have no knowledge of.

And you think most people even remember that the 20gb ps3 existed? 

Neither the 20gb nor the 60gb ps3s are presented to the consumer as choices.  You walk into a store, and you see the 40gb ps3.  That's it.  There won't even be any more 80gb ps3s until the MGS4 bundle hits.  For the 360, you see Arcades (which you left out of your original list), Premiums, Elites, and even some Halo editions still lying around.

Both companies have botched things this generation when it comes to SKUs.

Hm, that seems kinda weird, and I agree with Onimusha12, this iplies Sony cares more about Bluray than their Playstation brand.. :s
And yes, both MS and Sony have been kinda making a mess of things by releasing so many dang versions. Especially Sony. On that front (and quite some more, actually), they could learn a lot from Nintendo.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:

PS3 SKUs:

60GB - $600 (Now $450)
80GB - $500
40GB - $400
- ????

360 SKUs:

Core - $300
Standard - $400
Elite - $500

I hate when people do this.... How many PS3 SKUs are for sale right now? 2, how many for 360? 4, Core, Arcade, Premium, and Elite. How many add-on's are available for the 360? A bunch, HD DVD drive, USB Wi-fi, harddrives... So really what is more confusing? 2 SKUs, 1 with a bigger harddrive and BC, or 4 SKUs with all sorts of add-ons and differences?

Username2324 said:
Onimusha12 said:

PS3 SKUs:

60GB - $600 (Now $450)
80GB - $500
40GB - $400
- ????

360 SKUs:

Core - $300
Standard - $400
Elite - $500

I hate when people do this.... How many PS3 SKUs are for sale right now? 2, how many for 360? 4, Core, Arcade, Premium, and Elite. How many add-on's are available for the 360? A bunch, HD DVD drive, USB Wi-fi, harddrives... So really what is more confusing? 2 SKUs, 1 with a bigger harddrive and BC, or 4 SKUs with all sorts of add-ons and differences?

hmm the Core isn't for sale anymore... its been rebranded to the Arcade (Core + mem card and games). 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
Username2324 said:
Onimusha12 said:

PS3 SKUs:

60GB - $600 (Now $450)
80GB - $500
40GB - $400
- ????

360 SKUs:

Core - $300
Standard - $400
Elite - $500

hmm the Core isn't for sale anymore... its been rebranded to the Arcade (Core + mem card and games). 

Ok, so it's 3 versus 2, and it's hard to find an 80GB right now. It's easy just to say "stripped down 360" versus "list of features that aren't important" in making your point that 360 is less confusing. You could easily say the 40GB PS3 is a stripped down 80GB PS3. What is this "upscaling required" nonsense? That's retarded and untrue. Upscaling is actually an option that is turned on by default and doesn't hurt gameplay. Right now you have: 80GB plays PS2 games, 40GB does not. That's pretty much it. 2 fewer USB ports won't bother most people, and that is literally the only other difference. With 360, if you buy the "stripped down" 360, you can't play Burnout online, download demos or lots of DLC content, etc. If you want HD movies you are screwed, but if you want a HD you need an overpriced add-on, if you want wifi you need an overpriced add-on, and if you want to play games online you have to pay more. The elite has extra stuff, but what? You have to actually know that to decide what you want to buy, you know. Apparently it's hard to find as well. I hope you get the right motherboard so your 360 doesn't break, too. Like the original poster said: you know what you're getting with a PS3 now.

Its not going to happen.

Edge112 said:
Its not going to happen.

And if it does...would you change your VGchartz nickname to "retard in training"?