By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Woes Show Just How Bad Nintendo's Are

Samus Aran said:

I never said PS4 sold great because of ports.
It's selling so well because of massive hype. Look at IGN's top 25 PS4 games. Nothing to write home about yet.

I did take a look, it included 23 PS3 games and 11 Vita games :p

There's more than hype going on though. If it was hype, there would have been drastic reversals this last holiday. It's because the best versions of multi platform content is clearly the most desirable aspect of a games console. So yeah, you can get the game on your Xbox 360 or PS3, but the PS4 (and XB1) version of your favourite series is better.

This is the huge predicament Nintendo's decision to stick with older technology has left them with. Even before the PS4/X1 launched, Wii U never offered the best versions of the games people care about. Couple that with the fact that most Nintendo fans only play Nintendo games, and you're in the proverbial creek without a paddle.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Samus Aran said:

I never said PS4 sold great because of ports.
It's selling so well because of massive hype. Look at IGN's top 25 PS4 games. Nothing to write home about yet.

I did take a look, it included 23 PS3 games and 11 Vita games :p

There's more than hype going on though. If it was hype, there would have been drastic reversals this last holiday. It's because the best versions of multi platform content is clearly the most desirable aspect of a games console. So yeah, you can get the game on your Xbox 360 or PS3, but the PS4 (and XB1) version of your favourite series is better.

This is the huge predicament Nintendo's decision to stick with older technology has left them with. Even before the PS4/X1 launched, Wii U never offered the best versions of the games people care about. Couple that with the fact that most Nintendo fans only play Nintendo games, and you're in the proverbial creek without a paddle.

This is what I mean when I say people can be interested in Nintendo games, but at the same time not care for their consoles.
I don't think Nintendo's first party titles are to blame for lackklustre sales of their consoles. Although new ips wouldn't hurt.

Samus Aran said:

This is what I mean when I say people can be interested in Nintendo games, but at the same time not care for their consoles.
I don't think Nintendo's first party titles are to blame for lackklustre sales of their consoles. Although new ips wouldn't hurt.

Well, the argument constantly levelled (and it is very common on this forum) is that exclusive games are the most important thing of all when they're clearly not. We also endure endless listwars of this is why this console is the best. 90% of gamers couldn't give a crap whether a game is exclusive or not.

Nintendo's first party software is absolutely nothing to do with the lacklustre sales of their consoles. However it does show that they are nowhere near as influential in people's hardware purchasing decisions as people believe. If they cared enough for their games, they WOULD buy the consoles regardless.

Nintendo have a very tough decision to make over the next year or two. Do they want greater relevence in the industry, or do they want to continue to prioritise profitability? I don't really think they can do both.

So, casual things sells better? Or I guess that's what the vid intented to say. The main point about how Nintendo made great games but bad hardware is not valid, I don't think people out there will say "OMG 3D World is great! But I'm not going to buy a Wii U!"

If people don't buy a Wii U is because they don't like the games released on the platform. End. Fin. Nothing more to see.

And about PS4, I don't get the comparision. Is the vid trolling the fanbase saying those who bought don't have anything worthy to play?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

theprof00 said:
oniyide said:

as much as i wish that to be true I see no evidence for that. The series has stayed pretty much the same sales wise since OOT, hell it even dropped a bit

I'll answer you with another question. Which game is better. Twilight princess or skyward sword? Why do you think TP doubled SS in sales? Metacritic has a 3 point difference between the two.

wish you would just answer me straight but ill play along. I personally thought TP was better BUT that didnt stop me from getting SS so i honestly am not sure where you are going with that. By rights SS should have done as well as TP for the fact that it was released on the system when it had a bigger install base. Maybe it having to be Motion+ required held it back, but if your a fan of the series or you got a Wii later you would have that device anyway. 

I think TP is better but thats my opinion

Around the Network

This is wrong for 2 reasons:

a) Sony has third parties to help them out. Yeah, Destiny, Watch Dogs, and Call of Duty aren't exclusive but you still need a console (well, generally) to play them. The PS4 is cheapest at $399 and has the best marketing.

b) Nintendo's exclusives are good, but don't have mass appeal really. Super Mario 3D World is not what any Mario fan wanted, and there is too much of a drought in between games anyway. Most Mario Kart fans are content with Mario Kart Wii too.

oniyide said:
theprof00 said:
oniyide said:

as much as i wish that to be true I see no evidence for that. The series has stayed pretty much the same sales wise since OOT, hell it even dropped a bit

I'll answer you with another question. Which game is better. Twilight princess or skyward sword? Why do you think TP doubled SS in sales? Metacritic has a 3 point difference between the two.

wish you would just answer me straight but ill play along. I personally thought TP was better BUT that didnt stop me from getting SS so i honestly am not sure where you are going with that. By rights SS should have done as well as TP for the fact that it was released on the system when it had a bigger install base. Maybe it having to be Motion+ required held it back, but if your a fan of the series or you got a Wii later you would have that device anyway. 

Here is the answer to the question though: the reason Twilight Princess sold so well is because it went back to the OOT art style.

Pavolink said:

So, casual things sells better? Or I guess that's what the vid intented to say. The main point about how Nintendo made great games but bad hardware is not valid, I don't think people out there will say "OMG 3D World is great! But I'm not going to buy a Wii U!"

If people don't buy a Wii U is because they don't like the games released on the platform. End. Fin. Nothing more to see.

And about PS4, I don't get the comparision. Is the vid trolling the fanbase saying those who bought don't have anything worthy to play?

I dont think its that black and white. even on Ninty's worse selling consoles, there games still put up high numbers. Problem is that its not enough people to push bigger console sales just on Ninty games. And there really arent that much people willing to buy two consoles. So either they get a system with Ninty games and little else or they miss Ninty games and get everything else. Clearly people are choosing the latter.

McDonaldsGuy said:
oniyide said:

Here is the answer to the question though: the reason Twilight Princess sold so well is because it went back to the OOT art style.

honestly i feel the same way. However that is so subjective we cant truly say for sure either way. That could be one of the factors.

McDonaldsGuy said:
This is wrong for 2 reasons:

a) Sony has third parties to help them out. Yeah, Destiny, Watch Dogs, and Call of Duty aren't exclusive but you still need a console (well, generally) to play them. The PS4 is cheapest at $399 and has the best marketing.

b) Nintendo's exclusives are good, but don't have mass appeal really. Super Mario 3D World is not what any Mario fan wanted, and there is too much of a drought in between games anyway. Most Mario Kart fans are content with Mario Kart Wii too.

Pfffft, there's no such thing as a Mario Kart fan who is content with Mario Kart Wii :P

*Simpson's Comic Book Guy: "Worst Mario Kart EVER!"*