By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Woes Show Just How Bad Nintendo's Are

theprof00 said:
sundin13 said:

It came from the Wii U eShop. I'm assuming that they ask you for your gender when you sign up for NNID or something like that, but I don't know for sure. Feel free to search deeper: http://nintendonews.com/2014/08/wii-u-eshop-users-female/

Not sure I would trust that data.

Like I said, I use a controversial data set from infographics that polled purchasers and their intended purchase, as well as the nielsen report here:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=78298

Ehhhh...not sure what the logic would be behind doubting primary source demographics, and I think we knew pretty clearly that the Wii had a large casual userbase. I think the Wii U figures show that the "Nintendo faithful" are largely people who have grown up with the Nintendo systems. What you want to take from that data is up to you though...

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

New Super Mario Bros on the DS sold 30 million copies lol. Good luck finding me a franchise that can pull off those numbers on a single platform. Well, a non-Nintendo franchise. ;)
And I really doubt the average age of Wii U owners is 6-11.

You might as well ask why Dark Souls isn't outselling Uncharted.

Um, that was my point. New super mario outsells every other nintendo franchise by a lot. What is nsmb? It's a mario 1 remake. People bought it because they wanted to relive their past. I bought it on ds too. And I don't buy mario games.

And I'm pretty sure the numbers are accurate.

Asking why a REALLY new franchise isn't outselling a more established franchise?

That's the opposite of me asking why an established franchise isn't outselling a new franchise.

Like I said previously. Everyone knows mario and zelda. Why don't the numbers reflect that? They sell really well, but I could go out and ask anyone who mario is and they would tell me. Now you look at sales and mario does well, but not as well as exposure should dictate. Then a remake of the classic comes out, and it outsells every recent mario put together?

sundin13 said:
theprof00 said:

Not sure I would trust that data.

Like I said, I use a controversial data set from infographics that polled purchasers and their intended purchase, as well as the nielsen report here:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=78298

Ehhhh...not sure what the logic would be behind doubting primary source demographics, and I think we knew pretty clearly that the Wii had a large casual userbase. I think the Wii U figures show that the "Nintendo faithful" are largely people who have grown up with the Nintendo systems. What you want to take from that data is up to you though...

If I was a grocery store owner and I looked at the sales of marshmallow cereals, I wouldn't necessarily think that the main consumer was 30 year olds.

Nielsen actually tracks who the users are, instead of the purchasers. You think it makes sense to track who's credit card is being used on eshop?

theprof00 said:
Samus Aran said:

New Super Mario Bros on the DS sold 30 million copies lol. Good luck finding me a franchise that can pull off those numbers on a single platform. Well, a non-Nintendo franchise. ;)

Um, that was my point. New super mario outsells every other nintendo franchise by a lot. What is nsmb? It's a mario 1 remake. People bought it because they wanted to relive their past. I bought it on ds too. And I don't buy mario games.

Asking why a REALLY new franchise isn't outselling a more established franchise?

That's the opposite of me asking why an established franchise isn't outselling a new franchise.

Like I said previously. Everyone knows mario and zelda. Why don't the numbers reflect that? They sell really well, but I could go out and ask anyone who mario is and they would tell me. Now you look at sales and mario does well, but not as well as exposure should dictate. Then a remake of the classic comes out, and it outsells every recent mario put together?

No, it's a new game. 2D Mario games always sold better than 3D Mario games. The only exception is Super Mario 3D Land.

And I'm pretty sure the numbers are bullshit, there's no way the average age is 6-11. You'd need a good amount of 1 year old gamers for the average to be so low. 

Samus Aran said:
theprof00 said:
Samus Aran said:

No, it's a new game. 2D Mario games always sold better than 3D Mario games. The only exception is Super Mario 3D Land.

Oh, this is a fact, except for this other time, and except for bundling, and except for super mario 2, and mario all-stars.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Samus Aran said:
theprof00 said:
Samus Aran said:

Oh, this is a fact, except for this other time, and except for bundling, and except for super mario 2, and mario all-stars.

None of those games competed with 3D Mario games during the same generation lol. Super Mario 3D Land outsold New Super Mario Bros. 2. Both 3DS titles.

There hadn't been a 2D Mario game for a long time, that's the reason why the first two entries sold so much. The hype for 2D Mario games is dieing down considerably. The gap between New Super Mario Bros. Wii U and SM3DW is a lot smaller than the gap between SMG and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

And how can you claim the average age is 6 and at the same time claim people on Nintendo's consoles want to relive the past?

Samus Aran said:

None of those games competed with 3D Mario games during the same generation lol. Super Mario 3D Land outsold New Super Mario Bros. 2. Both 3DS titles.

That is massive cherry picking.

in generations where both a 2d and 3d were released, 2d sold better, except in one scenario, of which there are 3

DS
3DS
Wii

That's such a specific data-set it might as well be useless.

theprof00 said:
Samus Aran said:

That is massive cherry picking.

in generations where both a 2d and 3d were released, 2d sold better, except in one scenario, of which there are 3

DS
3DS
Wii

That's such a specific data-set it might as well be useless.

That's my point. 2D Mario sells better than 3D Mario. Has nothing to do with being remakes of old Mario games (which they aren't). The only thing that proves is that people like 2D Mario more than 3D Mario.

theprof00 said:

If I was a grocery store owner and I looked at the sales of marshmallow cereals, I wouldn't necessarily think that the main consumer was 30 year olds.

Nielsen actually tracks who the users are, instead of the purchasers. You think it makes sense to track who's credit card is being used on eshop?

I'm just saying that telling someone "the Wii was played by a lot of kids" is fairly obvious and useless information in this situation. I do not think that this information is sufficient to conclude that Nintendo is unable to keep its fanbase interested. We have the information that I posted about the Wii U's demographics, and we have additional information like with Pokemon games saying a large part of the audience is in the 19-24 demographic (aka people who grew up with Pokemon) collected from Club Nintendo surveys:

Also, did you look up where my demographics information came from? I assumed it was from NNID registration which asks for the user's gender and (I believe) is required for use of the Wii U eShop. Did you find information indicating otherwise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ