By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Veknoid's Reviews - Mario Kart 8

Is that a 4/5 or 4/4 score? :P

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
You are a good writer, but I feel that you are drifting off too much into wine-sipping in this review. You shower the game with praise but don't talk about the more interesting details. For example, you don't mention the bumper-boost mechanic during anti-gravity sections, you completely omit whether or not karts and bikes were balanced better than in MK Wii.

You also made a glaring mistake in the count of the courses (you say 8+8, but it's 16+16), but if it hadn't been for that, then I would call you a blatant corporate shill now. While I agree with your score, your review rubs me the wrong way.

Thanks for catching the error. I've updated the review.

You're more than welcome to disagree with my writing style -- I prefer a generalist perspective over the nuts and bolts approach -- but please don't suggest that I'm a shill. I take that accusation very seriously.

DanneSandin said:
Is that a 4/5 or 4/4 score? :P

4/4 :)

Natsu said:
AZWification said:

Yeah, the DS battle mode is pretty cool! I don't know why Nintendo just cannot get the battle mode right! It has been a problem since Wii!

The wii u one they were trying to mix the wii and ds ones together and it might have worked if they would have had actual battle stages instead of just puting tracks into it.

Yeah.. It would be awesome if Ninty would add some actual battle stages via DLC!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Natsu said:

The wii u one they were trying to mix the wii and ds ones together and it might have worked if they would have had actual battle stages instead of just puting tracks into it.

Yeah.. It would be awesome if Ninty would add some actual battle stages via DLC!

That would be cool :D add like 8 new courses and like 2 old courses.

Around the Network

RolStoppable said:

I take it seriously too, that's why I am making you aware of it. That your review comes across that way is a combination of the generalist perspective (you don't bother much with smaller details) and Mario Kart 8 being such a good game, so the result is a writeup that feels too positive.

If my review comes off as suspiciously positive, I assure you it's a miscommunication between my writing style and your standards as a reader -- not due to any lack of journalistic integrity on my part.

As someone who worked as a newspaper reporter and film critic, I take my code of ethics as a reviewer very, very seriously.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
AZWification said:

Yeah, the DS battle mode is pretty cool! I don't know why Nintendo just cannot get the battle mode right! It has been a problem since Wii!

It seems to be a smaller priority with every new installment. It peaked 20 years ago with Mario kart 64 and has declined since then. And the battle mode in Mario Kart 8 is easily the worst in the series. EAD should have just scrapped it altogether.

/thread

Still awaiting that Battle Mode Stages patch for MK8 8 months later... :-/