By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Batman got old man

It's been a downward spirale. When Arkham Asylum came out in 2009 it shocked the gaming world - it was an amazing game in every aspect and had some cool innovative mechanics. Unfortunately many devs started copying them. For example using some kind of super vision (Hitman and Tomb Raider). Anyway Arkham Asylum single handedly returned my interest to modern gaming cos at the time I had been gaming exclusively on PC and the modern games with very few exceptions didn't interest me.

Then in couple of years Arkham City was released - I was very hyped but at the same time aware that it will most likely be a bit disappointing cos you can't top a masterpiece like Asylum. And I was right - City had worse pacing and direction, it was more sand-boxy but as we all know sand box doesn't really work in games but let's not get into that. City was a great game anyway.

Then a few years later Arkham Origins came out and I had absolutely no interest in it - I was done with Arkham games at that point. Now recently I tried playing it anyway and I just couldn't do it physically - I got to a point in game where I was supposed to silently take down 6 or so thugs to advance the 'story' and I was thinking 'Really? I have to do this all over again after done it million times in the previous installments?' and went and uninstalled the game.

Then I watched the upcoming Arkham Knight trailer - I swear I saw the same assets that were used in previous games - same textures, same animations and even same voiced dialogues. I guess the only new thing will be sections with Batmobile driving - but will it be worth the tedium of  the rest of the game? No, not for me. So it has gone from AMAZING in 2009 to AVOID. At least give the Bat a break and do some other super hero?

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

Origins did absolutely nothing for the series, it was just more of the same. i think everyone's aware of that tho. i'm interested to see how Knight is since Rocksteady has it back.

but yeah this series is never going to end. i predict sequelization until the end of time.

Are you serious? Did we watch the same trailer? I will agree with you though that AA was better than AC but Arkham Knight is everything I ever wanted in a Batman game. The blueprint of AA with better technology through new consoles which gives the the Batmobile and bigger maps both horizontally and vertically.

Did we watch the same Arkham Knight gameplay? Also, since Origins wasn't made by Rocksteady and they don't even acknowledge it, I don't put too much stock into it.

I got one of the batmans I think the best one for free on ps plus. Hyped to play it now! I'll probably skip origins before I play knight on ps4 just so I'm not burnt out

Around the Network
TheGoldenBoy said:
Did we watch the same Arkham Knight gameplay? Also, since Origins wasn't made by Rocksteady and they don't even acknowledge it, I don't put too much stock into it.

Judging by your avatar you're a fan of the most repetitive games of all time lol so no wonder you don't mind the Batman games being the same.

Yes, Origins was made by others but you think it would be better if made by Rocksteady? Those devs have no energy anymore - they gave everything with Asylum and have nothing left in them.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Judging by your avatar you're a fan of the most repetitive games of all time lol so no wonder you don't mind the Batman games being the same.

Yes, Origins was made by others but you think it would be better if made by Rocksteady? Those devs have no energy anymore - they gave everything with Asylum and have nothing left in them.

If Rocksteady was in charge, Origins wouldn't have been made. Origins released only two years after City so it's no suprise that Warner Bros. Montreal just reused all of Rocksteady's work without many changes. Also considering Arkham City was universally well liked by critics and fans alike and did well commerically, if VGC is to be believed, many people don't share your opinion that "Batman got old." And even if some do feel that way, Rocksteady has repeatedly said this is their last Batman game and they'll move onto something else after.

@bolded: I don't even see how that's relevant.

TheGoldenBoy said:

Rocksteady has repeatedly said this is their last Batman game and they'll move onto something else after.

They will move on to anything the publisher will tell them to move on to lol including another Batman game.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

... literally the only person on the internet who thinks this way.
Everyone else is patiently awaiting the final game in one of the most critiaclly acclaimed trilogies in a long time.

the gam series has the same problem the dark knight trilogie ad, bad writing, lame characters and griddy without consequences.