By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game pad not being used??

I keep reading this all over gaming threads. Yet no one says how it should be used.  Further more, I have see the pad used well in many games. Off screen along justifies the pad. But i really love managing items without having to pause. Plus, as I always say, I wish I had the pad for the water temple in the Orcarina of Time. Having to pause all the time to change boots got really annoying. The key is to use as needed,  which is whats happing.  How is it not being used and how would you use it?

Around the Network

Ok, let's be more clear. It's not being used in unique ways to do things that couldn't be done without it. It's a good additive to games, but it does nothing exceptionally special in most cases.

For example, a game where one player does one thing completely different from the others on the gamepad in a sort of vs mode. Like the sort of tower defense setup they had with that Project Guard game at E3: you could have one player control the fortress and its contraptions on the gamepad and the others try to navigate it.

Kirby is a good use as it has asymmetrical co-op.

Games with input setups too complicated for a traditional controler would be a nice use. For example, mech games with complex controls. Most controllers lack the needed number of inputs (having 14 buttons and 2 analogue sticks). The Gamepad doesn't have that issue because of the touch screen.

An Etrian Odyssey game would be a great game that would need the gamepad.

Those are just some ideas of better, more unique uses.

I've said this before but I definitely think it could be quite innovative to use it to map out extra hot-keys. One of the reasons I buy some games on PC over consoles is all the extra keys I can use. For example, in Fallout games I use all eight slots for weapons and it's really still not enough. In Skyrim, I love being able to map specific weapons and armor sets. With a game like World of Warcraft, it's just impossible to play on console because of all the skills you have. This is one of the principle failings of the standard controller and a place where the Wii U's gamepad could make a name for itself.

If I were Nintendo, I'd include a hot-key mapping system with software that could quickly and easily be used by developers so they could allow anything they liked to be assigned to a virtual key press. Does the Wii U have this or something like it?

With online, real-time games, the ability to access sub-menus would be pretty nifty, though really not that big of a deal. I mean, it's good to be able to use these things without covering up your view but you're still looking away from the screen and risking death. With most single-player games, though, a pause menu on the main screen is just as good and a mini-map in the corner is better. In fact, in a lot of games, you definitely want the action to pause while you make a decision. The exception would be games that don't pause when you access a menu or games where you have a more detailed overview map buried in a menu.

Aquietguy said:

I keep reading this all over gaming threads. Yet no one says how it should be used.  Further more, I have see the pad used well in many games. Off screen along justifies the pad. But i really love managing items without having to pause. Plus, as I always say, I wish I had the pad for the water temple in the Orcarina of Time. Having to pause all the time to change boots got really annoying. The key is to use as needed,  which is whats happing.  How is it not being used and how would you use it?

I like using off screen play on my Wii U, but in no way does that one feature justify a $140-160 controller (They sell individually in Japan for $160 and to order a replacement controller from Nintendo is $140).  Microsoft found a way to provide off screen play while keeping your TV available for free considering you have a PC.

Nuvendil said:
Ok, let's be more clear. It's not being used in unique ways to do things that couldn't be done without it. It's a good additive to games, but it does nothing exceptionally special in most cases.

For example, a game where one player does one thing completely different from the others on the gamepad in a sort of vs mode. Like the sort of tower defense setup they had with that Project Guard game at E3: you could have one player control the fortress and its contraptions on the gamepad and the others try to navigate it.

Kirby is a good use as it has asymmetrical co-op.

Games with input setups too complicated for a traditional controler would be a nice use. For example, mech games with complex controls. Most controllers lack the needed number of inputs (having 14 buttons and 2 analogue sticks). The Gamepad doesn't have that issue because of the touch screen.

An Etrian Odyssey game would be a great game that would need the gamepad.

Those are just some ideas of better, more unique uses.

Hasn't this been done? Like Nintendo Land, Zombie U multiplayer. Haven't play Epic Micky 2 but I hear it's used in that game.  It could be used more but it has been done. Agian, use the pad as needed and not trying to force it is the key. If the Wii U was more popular you would see more games on it doing what you suggested. 

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Aquietguy said:

I like using off screen play on my Wii U, but in no way does that one feature justify a $140-160 controller (They sell individually in Japan for $160 and to order a replacement controller from Nintendo is $140).  Microsoft found a way to provide off screen play while keeping your TV available for free considering you have a PC.

More has been done than just off screen.  The ones that have played That I really love the uses is Zimbi U and Pikmin 3. Plus Nintendo Land is the real demonstrator of what can be done with the pad.

Aquietguy said:

Lol in OoT 3D they just made boots an equipable item, problem fixed.

The Gamepad is a great idea... not a great mandatory peice of tech though. Ive never played a game that made the gamepad worth the price, off screen play is cool but I have my own TV so I dont need it.

Off-screen play has been brilliant. As soon as the TV is needed, or if one of the kids wants to play the PS4 and the other is still playing the Wii U - they can be played simultaneously. Also, having the touch screen is much easier for typing and using the internet.

For playing games - it hasn't really been a real must-have, except where the games themselves are designed with that extra dimension the gamepad can provide. W101 was amazing in that respect. But there haven't been enough of them - yet - and even then, I'm not sure there will be.

I found it almost impossible to use for Mario Kart, but oddly, it feels more comfortable if I use it for Smash (although I only use it if I draw the short straw).

Aquietguy said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

More has been done than just off screen.  The ones that have played That I really love the uses is Zimbi U and Pikmin 3. Plus Nintendo Land is the real demonstrator of what can be done with the pad.

Nintendoland demonstrate quiet a lot of ways the gamepad can be used,  but most of those ideas has not been used or elaborated in real games. 

...and Nintendo stick to the genres they know.

Where are the Pilotwings game where you get all the planes instruments (for your micromanagement desires)...

Where are the Puzzle/Adventure games where you have to make your own map...

Where are the Simulation games where you get to move around the map and draw on it...

Where are the RTS games that use the gamepad for fast and precise manoeuvres...

Where are the asymetric party games...

Where are the RolePlaying games where the gamemaster has the gamepad...

Where are the Co-op games with one player on the gamepad...

...and more

Stealth Inc. 2 is a a great example of a how the GamePad can/should be used in some games.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq7u8zaFZGM  (watch the whole video)

I think that developers aren't creative enough or don't even give it (Wii U) a shot. The GamePad opens endless possibilities; Minecraft on it would be THE DEFINITIVE WAY to play.