By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2015 NPD Thread! Hardware estimates up!

outlawauron said:

Do you realize how crazy this sounds? You can't hide behind facts, they're readily apparent and available.

facts can be misconstrued.

this is all really simple. what was the ps4s baseline last year at $400? and by baseline i mean outside the launch window and major game release months.

and why would anyone expect the baseline to be different now? What has changed?

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'm not sure what you are comparing things to, here. 

There are many reasons why the above numbers happened, but what ultimately matters is those numbers. They'll have to have some aggressive changes to get maintain growth.

I expect Sony and MS to have $299 SKUs this holiday season. MS with a game or two bundled in. Maybe Sony will finally do extra, more expensive bundles as well (PSEye, 1TB, games etc). That price along with juggernaut games should drive up demand.

I am not sure what to expect from Nintendo and WiiU. Maybe $200 with a game?

Burek said:
vkaraujo said:
I am actually surprised PS4 won by so much.

It seems Xbox One could be in trouble looking by their lineup. MS better secure marketing deals with the big releases of the first half of the year (Battlefield, Batman, The Witcher and Mortal Kombat X). I could be wrong but it seems their exclusive line up only begins in june with Crackdown 3, while PS4 has Bloodborne and The Order (and maybe Deep Down?).

Good to see Wii U up YoY, but now they need to play their cards right to keep this momentum. I am worried that Yoshi doesn't have a date yet, while Kirby will be perceived as a smaller game. They also have Splatoon and MP 10 for the 1st half, so maybe they can do it.

Where did you dig Crackdown 3 from? That game is not coming out in 2015 at all. But neither is Deep Down.

And Sony has marketing deals for BF, MK and Batman, XOne for The Witcher.

I saw Crackdown 3 in IGN list for XONE Upcoming games in 2015.

Didn't knew about Sony deals. The gap between PS4 and XONE could be huge than.

Well i didn't expect the ps4 to beat the x1 this month

Well it sure makes people who think x1 victory waranted and easy look clueless.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Any software numbers?

CGI-Quality said:
think-man said:

Really? All signs pointed to it, though.

Haha i guess i wasn't paying attention.

think-man said:

Everyone who pays attention to Amazon totally expected this. The surprise would have been xb one winning the month.

Where are the people from early January weekly sales threads who were claiming xb one would win because vgc was saying so, and they will come and admit they were wrong if NPD shows otherwise. I suppose they went quiet when vgc did its first adjustments putting ps4 ahead.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I think nintendo with these sales will announce a mario party 10 and a splatoon bundle to cover march april and may
next month wii u should be down yoy since theres no dk to almost push it pass 100k(if it does beat 100k Ill be impressed)

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Why is everyone talking about the Xbox price difference since last year but neglecting to talk about the 2 free games?

The Xbox One's current situation is the $150 price difference from last year combined with 2 free games ($100 percieved value).