By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ben Stein to take on Darwinism on April 18

^^Actually I'm surprised it made 3.4 m over the weekend.
I was hoping for 2m. knowing that it's a tough subject (being not entertaining), and I don't think Christians will like this movie because it's about "intelligent design" and not "creation". I heard there's a difference between the two.

Still a very intelligent film. go see it.

Around the Network
damkira said:
Looks like the movie flopped hard.

3.4m debut with only $1,130 per screen (which is terrible)

Conservatives have parroted that the movie industry is assaulting America with its hedonistic values and that if it just made a movie which has the "same values" as America does (conservatives like to think of themselves as the only Americans) then it would be successful and revitalize the industry. They've been saying it for years and years. I really plan on rubbing this films failure in some faces :)

I have seen zero advertising for this movie.  Plus the majority of Americans don't view documentaries.  If this movie was a drama and had advertising on tv, it would have had numbers closer to The Passion of Christ, which grossed $610,000,000 and is the thirty-sixth highest-grossing film of all time.

Some of you have an extreme hatred of religion.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
timmytomthegreat said:
damkira said:

Conservatives have parroted that the movie industry is assaulting America with its hedonistic values and that if it just made a movie which has the "same values" as America does (conservatives like to think of themselves as the only Americans) then it would be successful and revitalize the industry. They've been saying it for years and years. I really plan on rubbing this films failure in some faces :)

I have seen zero advertising for this movie. Plus the majority of Americans don't view documentaries. If this movie was a drama and had advertising on tv, it would have had numbers closer to The Passion of Christ, which grossed $610,000,000 and is the thirty-sixth highest-grossing film of all time.

Really? I rarely watch television and saw advertisements on Comedy Central and The History Channel. I believe March of the Penguins made $77.4m in during its American run... I also believe Fahrenheit 9/11 earned $119.2m in the US/Canada.. so people will go see documentaries.. they just didn't want to see this one.

By the way, I know Fahrenheit 9/11 had inaccuracies in it, so there's no need to point that out.

.. more ..

The only other newcomer in the Top 10 was conservative commentator Ben Stein's #8 documentary, Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed which makes the intelligent design argument. Playing in 1,052 theaters, the pic distributed by Rocky Mountain Pictures earned $1.2M Friday for what should be a $3.4M weekend. But the per screen average for Friday was a feeble $1,130 (that $3,000 ballyhooed on the Internet would be for the entire weekend), showing there wasn't any pent-up demand for the film despite an agressive publicity campaign. So much for the conservative argument that people would flock to films not representing the "agenda of liberal Hollywood". (Just for comparison purposes: Michael Moore's most recent Sicko did $4.4 mil its opening weekend from only 441 theaters, and his Fahrenheit 9/11 did $23.9M its opening weekend from 868 venues.)

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/jet-and-jackie-nudge-out-judd-on-friday/

Wow you found the 2 highest grossing documentries ever, congratulations

Why don't you go to boxofficemojo.com and see how horrible most documentries do. IMAX excluted

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network
damkira said:
timmytomthegreat said:
damkira said:

I have seen zero advertising for this movie. Plus the majority of Americans don't view documentaries. If this movie was a drama and had advertising on tv, it would have had numbers closer to The Passion of Christ, which grossed $610,000,000 and is the thirty-sixth highest-grossing film of all time.

Really? I rarely watch television and saw advertisements on Comedy Central and The History Channel. I believe March of the Penguins made $77.4m in during its American run... I also believe Fahrenheit 9/11 earned $119.2m in the US/Canada.. so people will go see documentaries.. they just didn't want to see this one.

By the way, I know Fahrenheit 9/11 had inaccuracies in it, so there's no need to point that out.

I don't get Comdey Central and the History Channel like the majority of Americans.  Michael Moore has a long list of documentaries , which people know him from.  This was Ben Stiens first documentary.  Political documentaries and cute animal documentaries are always going to have more viewer than science documentaries.

kenzomatic said:

It's not religion that I hate.  It's dogma.

timmytomthegreat said:

I don't get Comdey Central and the History Channel like the majority of Americans. Michael Moore has a long list of documentaries , which people know him from. This was Ben Stiens first documentary. Political documentaries and cute animal documentaries are always going to have more viewer than science documentaries.

People know Ben Stein from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.. he also used to have a game show and wrote speeches for Nixon. He is well known... even An Inconvenient Truth did better and it was a science documentary. 

I could have gone my whole life without knowing this movie existed if it wasn't for this thread.

Entroper said:
kenzomatic said:

It's not religion that I hate. It's dogma.

So you hate Neo-Darwinism?