By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Ballmer: "We'll support Blu-ray"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33905

Microsoft chief executive says it's time to move on from HD-DVD

Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer has admitted that the company is working on ways to support Blu-ray, the next-generation DVD format.

Although he did not talk specifically about the format in relation to gaming, he did concede it was time to move on following the collapse of the HD-DVD format earlier this year.

"We've already been working on, for example, in Windows, device driver support for Blu-ray drives and the like, and I think the world moves on," said Ballmer at the Mix08 conference.

"Toshiba has moved on. We've moved on, and we'll support Blu-ray in ways that make sense," he said.

Many are expecting Microsoft to announce a Blu-ray peripheral for the Xbox 360 in the near future, following the demise of the HD-DVD format and Microsoft's decision to end production of a HD-DVD add-on for its console.

According to a Financial Times report yesterday, Microsoft and Sony are currently in talks to offer a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360.

Around the Network

good to know they have also moved on and may be providing a solution for 360 owners

BluRay was always the PC's optical choice at any rate, and MS basically is the PC software market so it makes sense.
The superior storage capacity was what made DVD's a hit on PC's, making everything from storing games and media to making backup's easier.
We'll see, but I know I'd make use of BluRay on my PC were the option there at an affordable price.
It'll take time though, like it did with DVD and indeed CD-ROM in its time.
It also partly depends on the development and usage of online retailers or direct feed purchase sites like Steam in the future.

"According to a Financial Times report yesterday, Microsoft and Sony are currently in talks to offer a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360."

If the add-on costs about $400, many 360 gamers interested in Blu-ray might be tempted to get a PS3 instead. With a similar price and coupled with the fact that it plays games, the PS3 would undoubtedly be more appealing to many.

Pricing for the add-on will be key if it's to have any success.

Microsoft: SO yeah... since Blu-Ray won, can we use it please?
Sony: Yeah, of course!
Microsoft: Really? no hard feeling?
Sony: no, none at all
Microsoft: OH thanks, you're the best
Sony... oh yeah, a little thing, make Bioshock2, Mass Effect2, Gears3 multi and we are even.

;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
kingofwale said:
Sony... oh yeah, a little thing, make Bioshock2, Mass Effect2, Gears3 multi and we are even.

;)

LOLz

Is this the first sign of PMS720? (PlaystationMicroSoft 720)

kingofwale said:

;)

MS didn't approach Sony... It's Sony who approached MS. 

"Toshiba has moved on. We've moved on, and we'll support Blu-ray in ways that make sense," he said.

Blu Ray add on does not make sense on the 360.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

kingofwale said:

;)

Or:

Microsoft: Great, because we know you want to continue to be able to sell laptops with Windows Licenses

:P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

;)

Or:

Microsoft: Great, because we know you want to continue to be able to sell laptops with Windows Licenses

:P

LOL, I wonder if they ever thought of that before:

MS exec 1: What can we do to stop Sony winning the HD race?MS exec 2: How about we stop selling them Windows for their Vaio PCs?MS exec 1: I've got it! We'll stop selling them Windows AND revoke all of their existing licences for their corporate PCs and servers if they don't let Toshiba win.