By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bully: Scholarship Edition Review Discrepancies at IGN

If I recall correctly, Bozon is known for not really liking the Wii.
Then again, he might not really like Bully.
Nevertheless, you would think that someone would have looked at the scores and said "huh?"
Not saying that they are wrong, just saying it sounds as if the Wii version got nicked because it was for the Wii (no widescreen, no HD, etc.).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
If I recall correctly, Bozon is known for not really liking the Wii.
Then again, he might not really like Bully.
Nevertheless, you would think that someone would have looked at the scores and said "huh?"
Not saying that they are wrong, just saying it sounds as if the Wii version got nicked because it was for the Wii (no widescreen, no HD, etc.).

Mike from Morgantown

Eh, doesn't he work on the Wii Podcast? Or something.

I mean could it be that he's just a harsher critic?

People need to read the review first.. instead of just looking at the numerical score

8.0 Presentation
The cinematic feel is retained from PS2, and there’s a huge slew of VO and scripted sequences. Streaming loads often cause momentary lag though, and AI is sketchy at times.
8.0 Graphics
Take the PS2 version, add some additional detail on models, and you’ve essentially got what Bully Wii has to offer. Animation pops and glitches weigh the experience down a bit.
8.5 Sound
One of the most diverse scores on the system, and a seemingly never-ending stack of VO. The script can be a bit corny at times, but it fits the world.
8.0 Gameplay
The new motion controls are pretty simplistic, but they feel great. Nunchuk doesn’t always recognize during some mini-games (music class), but all in all it’s very rewarding.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
There’s a huge list of mini-games to explore, but the overall “open world” feel is a bit closed off compared to Bully’s bigger brother, GTA. Still very impressive though.
Impressive
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

It has problems with almost every aspect, Graphic, animation and some game-play issues. that's why it got a lower score.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
DMeisterJ said:
tabsina said:
DMeisterJ said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Kasz216 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Kasz216 said:

It is sloppy editing. What can you do though. Judges have different standards.

After all the PS2 version got an 89.

How do you have a port of a game with stuff added that all works and it ends up with a lower score?

When it originally came out over a year ago?

See I don't agree with that. After all many people still consider the Ocarina of Time the best game ever.

If a game really has such shallow apeal that it's rating would drop so low do to nothing but graphical enhancements then you've got to question the original review score in the first place.

Standards change, the bar gets raised. Alot happens in a year.

Ocarina is far from a 10/10 by todays standards.

Quoted for mother-flippin truth.

You can't give a game a 10/10, then ten years later, it still deserves a ten out of ten. That means we as a group haven't moved forward. That is why I love IGN. They never give 10/10. They may give 9.7, but not tens. Because once you give a ten, that means that gaming has reached it's pinnacle.

Ocarina got a 10/10 from IGN (among a few others i believe, but you were referring to Ocarina in part of the post), what on earth are you talking about

The game review is ~10 years old.  IGN has changed since then.  That wasn't ign, that was when IGN was a lot different.  That review was from N64world.com or something like that.  IGN wasn't formed for a few years after that.

IGN, hasn't given out 10/10s

At least not in the past couple of year.  Some have came close.

Edit:  The last ten out of ten they gave was in 2001.  [They gave a cell phone game that in 06, but that doesn't count]

Linky

According to your own link, Ocarina got a 10/10 last year when it was released on VC...

More to the point, did anyone else look at the list of games that IGN has given 10/10?

11 of the 17 are made by Nintendo (or in the case of Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, made by Capcom with Nintendo's help). And a significant portion of those (5) are Zelda titles,

Also, 4 Capcom games (incl. OoA and OoS) are up there...

Looks to me like IGN reviews are right on target, for me at least.

Also, to anyone who says Ocarina of Time wouldn't get a 10 today... go back and play it.  There are numerous ways to do so; straight off the N64 if you have one, off of VC if you have a Wii, off the bonus disk that came with WW if you have a GC.  Somehow play it, and then tell me it doesn't withstand the test of time, because it most certainly does.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

I am trying to figure out how there is a 0.7 point difference between the two games, given these scores/attributes for the Xbox 360

8.5 Presentation
A great story full of humor. There are a lot of load times, but it's always worth the wait.

7.0 Graphics
Some nice textures and nice character models, but the framerate struggles.

9.0 Sound
The voice acting is fantastic from top-to-bottom and the soundtrack, which doesn't rely on licensed music, is excellent.

8.5 Gameplay
There's a lot of fun to be had. Everything is fairly simple, but it works well as a whole.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
The average gamer can probably finish the story in under 20 hours, but there are plenty of things to do afterwards to suck up even more of your free time.

Great OVERALL

Remember, this is the same game on both the Wii and the Xbox 360.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Around the Network

Note that meta-score is five points higher on the Wii:

WII (87.5%) | X360 (82.4%)

This shows that it might be good to have the same person/people evaluate the same game on different systems (or at least to discuss it, etc.)

So IGN is in the minority here.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

mike_intellivision said:
I am trying to figure out how there is a 0.7 point difference between the two games, given these scores/attributes for the Xbox 360

8.5 Presentation
A great story full of humor. There are a lot of load times, but it's always worth the wait.

7.0 Graphics

9.0 Sound
The voice acting is fantastic from top-to-bottom and the soundtrack, which doesn't rely on licensed music, is excellent.

8.5 Gameplay
There's a lot of fun to be had. Everything is fairly simple, but it works well as a whole.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
The average gamer can probably finish the story in under 20 hours, but there are plenty of things to do afterwards to suck up even more of your free time.

Great OVERALL

Mike from Morgantown

Simple, those scores aren't representative for one. It's not an average and each reviewer can base it on what they want pretty much.

The truth is... different critics have different standards. The only mistake IGN has made is not having all 3 versions of the same game reviewed by the same person.

Honestly reviews are really only comparable for a direct numerical comparison on "Which one is better" in three cases

1. It's reviewed by the same person.

2. It's reviewed by two people with almost exactly the same tatse and biases (almost impossible.)

3. You compile a giant database of reveiws and get the aggerigate number knowing that as the number of reviews increase the bias is likely to get filtered out.

So basically unless you use a site like Gamerankings or Metacritic, you can really only use a critic's review of a game as their opinion... so you just need to find which critics you agree with and go with their opinion.

Not only are some people harder to please, some people have different standards.

For example, my rating scale would break down the five categories into this

Pesentation 10% of the score

Graphics 5% of the score

Sound 5% of the score

Gameplay 60% of the Score

Lasting Appeal 30% of the score.

Or something close to that.  With room for negatives if the graphics and sound are just downright horrible. 

kingofwale said:

People need to read the review first.. instead of just looking at the numerical score

8.0 Presentation
The cinematic feel is retained from PS2, and there’s a huge slew of VO and scripted sequences. Streaming loads often cause momentary lag though, and AI is sketchy at times.
8.0 Graphics
Take the PS2 version, add some additional detail on models, and you’ve essentially got what Bully Wii has to offer. Animation pops and glitches weigh the experience down a bit.
8.5 Sound
One of the most diverse scores on the system, and a seemingly never-ending stack of VO. The script can be a bit corny at times, but it fits the world.
8.0 Gameplay
The new motion controls are pretty simplistic, but they feel great. Nunchuk doesn’t always recognize during some mini-games (music class), but all in all it’s very rewarding.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
There’s a huge list of mini-games to explore, but the overall “open world” feel is a bit closed off compared to Bully’s bigger brother, GTA. Still very impressive though.
Impressive
OVERALL

It has problems with almost every aspect, Graphic, animation and some game-play issues. that's why it got a lower score.

Presentation
The cinematic feel is retained from PS2, and there’s a huge slew of VO and scripted sequences.

8.0 Graphics
Take the PS2 version, add some additional detail on models, and you’ve essentially got what Bully Wii has to offer.
8.5 Sound
8.0 Gameplay
The new motion controls are pretty simplistic, but they feel great. all in all it’s very rewarding.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
Impressive
OVERALL

This is what Wii fanboys see, thus they want it to higher, go figure.

Kasz216 said:
mike_intellivision said:

8.5 Presentation

7.0 Graphics

9.0 Sound

8.5 Gameplay

8.5 Lasting Appeal

Great OVERALL

Mike from Morgantown

Simple, those scores aren't representative for one. It's not an average and each reviewer can base it on what they want pretty much.

The truth is... different critics have different standards. The only mistake IGN has made is not having all 3 versions of the same game reviewed by the same person.

Honestly reviews are really only comparable for a direct numerical comparison on "Which one is better" in three cases

1. It's reviewed by the same person.

2. It's reviewed by two people with almost exactly the same tatse and biases (almost impossible.)

3. You compile a giant database of reveiws and get the aggerigate number knowing that as the number of reviews increase the bias is likely to get filtered out.

So basically unless you use a site like Gamerankings or Metacritic, you can really only use a critic's review of a game as their opinion... so you just need to find which critics you agree with and go with their opinion.

Not only are some people harder to please, some people have different standards.

For example, my rating scale would break down the five categories into this

Pesentation 10% of the score

Graphics 5% of the score

Sound 5% of the score

Gameplay 60% of the Score

Lasting Appeal 30% of the score.

Or something close to that.  With room for negatives if the graphics and sound are just downright horrible. 

QFT

By the way not sure if people truly noticed but they gave gameplay and lasting appeal higher which is way you get the .7 difference as those are two are weighted pretty heavily in their equation.  In the end is just preference so could just be IGN figures you would rather play a prettier version with achievement points. 

It's Bozon. He recommeded Scarface over this in his review for god's sake. And he makes sure to nag it for being a port where as Hilary didn't care because he generally likes the game. The only useful bit I got out of his crappy review was that melee combat handles like the Godfather and humilation moves are like Manhunt 2.