By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony Q3 FY15 Results - Beats Market Expectations & 6.4 Million Shipped PS4's

binary solo said:
peterpan said:

11.9 is fairly in range ofc. 

that would put the x360 sales for 2014 at 3.3m just 100k behind the ps3 and only a 53% drop compared to 65% for the ps3
right now i have zero clue, if the xb360 is still selling great, or the xb1 is doing much better than suspected

btw. the updated sony forecast ist 17.5m playstation consoles for fy2014.  
They are at 15.1m with one quarter left

2.4m ps consoles to reach the goal. that would be down 35% yoy
i can see them hit ~18m

Both last gen consoles will be doing well to hit 2 million in 2015. After that, who knows? MS and Sony might attempt to flog one more year out of those dead horses, but I don't see them lingering longer than that. 11 years for 360 would be amazing. 10 years for PS3 would be Sony making sure it achieves its 10 year plan intention they announced way back when, when a large segment of the pundits and gamers laughed at the notion of PS3 still being around 10 years hence. Either way 100 million is well out of reach for both.

seems likely
i would go with 90 - 95 m for both

only way to reach 100m would be making them a cheap ~99$ apple/ fire tv and netflix box, that can still play decent games like cod and fifa.
but i doubt, that the x360 could and will run windows 10 and universal app. ms want that for the xbox one as a selling point. and i also doubt, that sony would like to put much money and effort in a 10 years old console, that can't be maufactured that cheap to sell for 99 bucks with a profit

gen 7 will see the normal eol sales like any other console for the next 2 or max 3 years

Around the Network

19.9m PS4 consoles shipped... AMAZING performance... unstoppable.

And Wii finally passed PS4 shipment with 20.17m shipped at the same time frame.

Excellent news indeed. Congrats Sony!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
19.9m PS4 consoles shipped... AMAZING performance... unstoppable.

And Wii finally passed PS4 shipment with 20.17m shipped at the same time frame.

In shipments yes, but it is already behind in sell through by some distance (wii was basically sold out at this point).

PS4 will fall behind next quarter in shipments and far behind in shipments by the end of 2015 calendar year.

For example, the Wii by end of next quarter (end March) was 24.45m.  PS4 will probably be in the region of 23.0m. 

Sorry but you don't have Wii sell thought data to support the first claim... is it probable? Yes... but no evidence at all.

About the others points the Wii drop after the third year is really big and PS4 can catch again... 2015 is in Wii hands btw.

BTW I was expecting 19.5m after the 18.5m sold.

Sony beat my expectations.

1.4m on shelves looks fine for a WW console.

Around the Network

And people doubted 18.5M was sold through *haha*

ethomaz said:
kowenicki said:

In shipments yes, but it is already behind in sell through by some distance (wii was basically sold out at this point).

PS4 will fall behind next quarter in shipments and far behind in shipments by the end of 2015 calendar year.

For example, the Wii by end of next quarter (end March) was 24.45m.  PS4 will probably be in the region of 23.0m. 

Sorry but you don't have Wii sell thought data to support the first claim... is it probable? Yes... but no evidence at all.

About the others points the Wii drop after the third year is really big and PS4 can catch again... 2015 is in Wii hands btw.

that's kind of common knowledge 
wii second and third full year were both incredible
first one is a 100% win for the wii
second one depends on a possible ps4 slim version in 2016 and the pricepoint, but right now it looks like sony prefer profits over some more unit sales.
so i'll go with the wii for the third full year again. 

ps4 beeing ahead of wii aging could happen end of 2017 or 2018 again. not before

yearly sales (shipped) in million units ps4 wii
release 4.5 3.19
fist full year 15.4 16.95
second full year   24.84
third full year   22.48

no way ps4 will beat that

peterpan said:
ethomaz said:

second one depends on a possible ps4 slim version in 2016 and the pricepoint, but right now it looks like sony prefer profits over some more unit sales.

Nah. They will drop to 300 this year and 200 in 2016, as I said in the other topic. It's all about timing, and in the other post I also explained the reasons why it hasn't happened yet.

Roronaa_chan said:
peterpan said:

Nah. They will drop to 300 this year and 200 in 2016, as I said in the other topic. It's all about timing, and in the other post I also explained the reasons why it hasn't happened yet.

??
a pricedrop to 300 can happen this year, but no slim version
a pricedrop to 300 will still not be enough to match wii numbers

50% grow in 2015 (seems impossible to me right now) will result in 23.1m units for the ps4. but the wii would still increase the launch alinged gap by 1.7m

Congrats to sony and congrats to the playstation ecosystem. Better than expected numbers. Here's to an even better 2015 for ps4. Software sales for ps4/ps3/ps4 combined will be massive.