By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Sells SOE (Sony Entertainment Online) to Columbus Nova! Going multiplatform (Xbox)

SCE did have direct control of SOE prior to the sell-off, so this news shouldn't be dismissed as irrelevant because SOE weren't as focused on PS4 as other first party developers.

From a business perspective the sell-off obviously makes sense for Sony.

SOE had the data leak in 2011 which was bad press for Sony and maybe they didn't or couldn't foresee making it secure enough to stop this happening again.

The Playstation fan base seem to prefer games that aren't online unlike XBox fans. (How many times have we seen Playstation fans saying they weren't interested if a game was online only?) XBox would seem a better fit for online.

Sony does need money. Maybe this is part of why they delayed their financials. At least we can see they are still in a position to invest in profitable sections.

This news is a bit of a shock, but probably more relevant because it is part of the Sony gaming empire and had Sony in the title, so it sounds like PS4 is losing more than it is. It could be more damaging from a consumer confidence perspective. Anyone with a PS4, or potentially considering buying one must feel a bit more worried about the future of Playstation this morning.

Around the Network

I lol at the people over blowing this. I have never even seen the biggest Sony fanboy mention any of these games in reference to the PS4 and its dominance over the XB1.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
I lol at the people over blowing this. I have never even seen the biggest Sony fanboy mention any of these games in reference to the PS4 and its dominance over the XB1.

Haters gonna hate. Sony fans with sense like me and most others on here never overplayed the power of receiving really late pc ports.  Sony will still take a cut from the software sales so it's all good in the hood.

Krill said:
SCE did have direct control of SOE prior to the sell-off, so this news shouldn't be dismissed as irrelevant because SOE weren't as focused on PS4 as other first party developers.

From a business perspective the sell-off obviously makes sense for Sony.

SOE had the data leak in 2011 which was bad press for Sony and maybe they didn't or couldn't foresee making it secure enough to stop this happening again.

The Playstation fan base seem to prefer games that aren't online unlike XBox fans. (How many times have we seen Playstation fans saying they weren't interested if a game was online only?) XBox would seem a better fit for online.

Sony does need money. Maybe this is part of why they delayed their financials. At least we can see they are still in a position to invest in profitable sections.

This news is a bit of a shock, but probably more relevant because it is part of the Sony gaming empire and had Sony in the title, so it sounds like PS4 is losing more than it is. It could be more damaging from a consumer confidence perspective. Anyone with a PS4, or potentially considering buying one must feel a bit more worried about the future of Playstation this morning.

Wow. Just wow. Yes I am sure all PS4 fans called in sick from work because they are so distraught. I am not saying this is a non issues because every exclusive helps not matter how irrellevent that game may be on consoles, but the idea that any PS4 gamer really gives a crap (fanboys might just because it is a negative for their console) is just cray cray and makes the person stating sound like they are a fanboy themselves. How many of the people in this thread who d00ming the PS4 really give a crap about those games on their console of choice. 

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I doubt games like EverQuest Next would run on an X1 due to the PC/PS community being able to game together unless Xbox changes their tune about that.

Around the Network

There is no worth game from SOE on supporting PS4 so i approve this.

News: Sony sells their PC gaming studio (SOE) to focus on Playstation. The only one of their 15 studios that does not only make Playstation games. The only studio that is not part of Sony Worldwide Studios, because they have a different focus.

Reaction: Playstation is doomed. They are selling Naughty Dog next. The new Everquest is the most anticipated game this generation.

Is anyone actually looking forward to playing the new Everquest? I played a ton of EQ1 back in the day, but I doubt it can compete with WoW/ESO.

Ha. Good for them. Seems like a win-win for both parties.

Sony wasn't getting a whole lot from them (wru Planetside 2 PS4) while SOE didn't seem to be getting a whole lot from Sony (understaffed for many projects, etc.)  Plus, if they're going for F2P going forward, they'll need to hit as wide a userbase as possible.

I'm still looking forward to Planetside 2 on PS4 and I'll be keeping my eye on Everquest Next, but otherwise, I won't particularly miss SOE.

TaMpAbLaCk said:
I doubt games like EverQuest Next would run on an X1 due to the PC/PS community being able to game together unless Xbox changes their tune about that.

well since they annouced that fable legneds will be cross play it seems like that are

Azerth said:

well since they annouced that fable legneds will be cross play it seems like that are

PC/XB cross play isn't the problem.  It's PS/XB cross play that, according to the director of FF XIV, is something Microsoft won't allow.

So they'd either have to decide to have 3 separate communities (PS, PC & XB) or not bother with one of the home consoles and just have one community (PS4/PC or XB/PC).