By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will we see a 1TB game?

When will we see the first Terabyte game?

10 years in the future. 144 46.91%

20 years in the future. 95 30.94%

30 years in the future. 18 5.86%

40 years in the future. 13 4.23%

50 years in the future. 11 3.58%

60 years in the future. 1 0.33%

70 years in the future. 1 0.33%

80 years in the future. 1 0.33%

90 years in the future. 3 0.98%

More than 100 years in the future. 20 6.51%

Total:307

never, gaming is going backwards with indies, dlc etc

Around the Network

I said 10 years but i don't see internet speeds being able to download a 1TB game in an acceptable timeframe even in 10 years.Maybe 20.

Well back in 2000 with the first use of DVDs for games thanks to PS2 there has been no massive change to completed game files sizes until Blu-Ray hit with PS3. With MS just now supporting the format on XB1 I don't see a major change for a while.
It appears that game files don't increase linearly over time so I'd say we may see a switch to Archival Discs next gen.

No one can afford to make a game that big.

I'd say 15 - 20 years.

Might see games close to 100GB by the end of this gen, already most games are hovering around 35 - 50 GB. Usually every generation is a 10 times the jump for space in a game, so next gen (eigth gen) will probably hit around 500GB for some of it's biggest games, so the gen after that (ninth gen) might hit the 1 terabyte mark around the end of that gen. If we go by the average 7 year life for a video game generation, it should be around 2027 - 2034.

Around the Network
Nettles said:
I said 10 years but i don't see internet speeds being able to download a 1TB game in an acceptable timeframe even in 10 years.Maybe 20.

I would image there would be some sort of stream and play sort of how the PS4 can install a game while your playing it, maybe if your internet is fast enough you can play the game while you download it.

Or hell maybe the future could be streaming games like Plastation now.

I see GTA being the first game doing that. But probably 10 years from now. When we need 8k textures. So the camera can zoom in, and you don't see low res.

Well if they don't compress the data it will not be that long in the future. Also as said the resolution at 4k will most definitely take up more data, also as a.i. improves this will also take up more space. Also if a new disk format does come out that can hold at least 1tb of data then I can see some developers taking full advantage, also if I had to pick a genre i would pick an rpg. But i do think it will be within the next fifteen years.

old skool

Maybe in 20 years.

Wing Commander IV had 3GB in 1996 and X-Plane 10 has around 80GB.

But compression methods get better, too.

Not sure when, but I'm guessing it will be some open-world game with something like sparse voxel DAG.