By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I bet that XB1 will reach 20 million before ps4 reaches 35 million

theprof00 said:

C'mon guys, at least put some thought into your bets. x1 can do 9m this year alone, but 18m seems like the max for ps4.
How bout this instead:

PS4 will hit 26m before xb1 hits 13m

For the sake of numbers, that means ps4 will sell 7.4m faster than x1 sells 2.9m

Now THAT is a good wager.

18M? PS4 is at 18.5M as of Jan 4th. That leaves 16.5M to go to hit 35M. It did 14.3M in 2014, and that was without dropping the price a billion times, bundling games all year, and with the metaphorical "it has no gaemz".

Now, it has a slew of exclusives coming all year and games that will have a larger impact on the platform vs Xbox (such as Type 0), and a possible price cut (longest PS has gone without dropping the price was 19 months. That was with the extremely popular PS2 that, essentially, had no competition. Quickest was 8 months with the PS1. E3 2015 would have the PS4 on the market for 19 months).

You don't see 16.5M happening? Even when, historically as Ryng_Tolu pointed out, PS increases by 30% in year 2 (meaning ~18.6M sales for 2015, putting the PS4 at ~37M at years end)?

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
theprof00 said:

C'mon guys, at least put some thought into your bets. x1 can do 9m this year alone, but 18m seems like the max for ps4.
How bout this instead:

PS4 will hit 26m before xb1 hits 13m

For the sake of numbers, that means ps4 will sell 7.4m faster than x1 sells 2.9m

Now THAT is a good wager.

18M? PS4 is at 18.5M as of Jan 4th. That leaves 16.5M to go to hit 35M. It did 14.3M in 2014, and that was without dropping the price a billion times, bundling games all year, and with the metaphorical "it has no gaemz".

Now, it has a slew of exclusives coming all year and games that will have a larger impact on the platform vs Xbox (such as Type 0), and a possible price cut (longest PS has gone without dropping the price was 19 months. That was with the extremely popular PS2 that, essentially, had no competition. Quickest was 8 months with the PS1. E3 2015 would have the PS4 on the market for 19 months).

You don't see 16.5M happening? Even when, historically as Ryng_Tolu pointed out, PS increases by 30% in year 2 (meaning ~18.6M sales for 2015, putting the PS4 at ~37M at years end)?

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that will likely take every single week to do, where x1 could potentially do it with a few weeks to spare.

I personally believe ps4 can sell 17.5m comfortably this year.

Landguy said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

You predict +1% increase for PS4 and +40% for XBO in 2015!?

lol..

What do you know that I don;t?

How do you know that the PS4 will increase sales in 2015 at all?  The sales rate for 2014 was phenominal.  The chances are higher that it will keep its sales pace in 2015 than it is that it will increase it significantly.

As far as the XB1 goes, sales in the last 4 months(not specifically Nov 15-Dec30) of 2014 were a lot more indicative of what to expect in 2015.  The dropping of Kinect and the newer price point were already factored in.  

I think it is more LOL that you think otherwise.

Your post is nothing but wishes and hopes.  You expect the leading console to not grow year over year despite history telling us it always happens?  Ps4 is going to have a bigger year this year that is a given.  The ps4 is going to stay 399? No it isn't,  plus Sony had a lit of exclusives this year.  What you are foolishly predicting has never happened and will never happen,  it would be historic.  IT's just the wishes and hopes of a poster  not reality. 

Phantasybubble said:
Landguy said:

What do you know that I don;t?

How do you know that the PS4 will increase sales in 2015 at all?  The sales rate for 2014 was phenominal.  The chances are higher that it will keep its sales pace in 2015 than it is that it will increase it significantly.

As far as the XB1 goes, sales in the last 4 months(not specifically Nov 15-Dec30) of 2014 were a lot more indicative of what to expect in 2015.  The dropping of Kinect and the newer price point were already factored in.  

I think it is more LOL that you think otherwise.

Your post is nothing but wishes and hopes.  You expect the leading console to not grow year over year despite history telling us it always happens?  Ps4 is going to have a bigger year this year that is a given.  The ps4 is going to stay 399? No it isn't,  plus Sony had a lit of exclusives this year.  What you are foolishly predicting has never happened and will never happen,  it would be historic.  IT's just the wishes and hopes of a poster  not reality. 

Based on your posting history, I know you are the expert here.

I don't wish or hope about console sales.  THe PS4 took clear advantage of the fact that the XB1 was poorly debuted and configured and priced wrong for the marketplace.  That created a large chunk of the PS3 and 360 userbase to jump on board sooner rather than later.  IF you are going to say that "we have never seen a console not increase in year 2", then you are saying that the PS4 will be dead in 2 years.  The only real comparison for first year sales like the PS4 is the Wii.  It went 3 and a half years and fell off a cliff.  THe PS4 won't do that.  It will be a great seller and will do so on a consistant basis.  

Sony is in no position to do big price cuts or releaase a slim model when the system is selling great as is.  Sony is in significant financial hardship after the cyber attacks.  They will try to drain what they can from the Playstation division for as long as possible.  If the sales of the PS4 went down, they might do a price drop, but that is not likely to happen.

But, I defer to your well experienced knowledge base if I am wrong.

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:
Phantasybubble said:

I don't wish or hope about console sales.  THe PS4 took clear advantage of the fact that the XB1 was poorly debuted and configured and priced wrong for the marketplace.  That created a large chunk of the PS3 and 360 userbase to jump on board sooner rather than later.  IF you are going to say that "we have never seen a console not increase in year 2", then you are saying that the PS4 will be dead in 2 years.  The only real comparison for first year sales like the PS4 is the Wii.  It went 3 and a half years and fell off a cliff.  THe PS4 won't do that.  It will be a great seller and will do so on a consistant basis.  

Sony is in no position to do big price cuts or releaase a slim model when the system is selling great as is.  Sony is in significant financial hardship after the cyber attacks.  They will try to drain what they can from the Playstation division for as long as possible.  If the sales of the PS4 went down, they might do a price drop, but that is not likely to happen.

The Wii has nothing to do with anything.  Facts are facts,  the leading console has never stagnated in its second year.  To say the lesser popular console will gain 50 percent gap back is foolish.  What countries will the sales come from? 

Ps4  was made with price cuts in mind. No console has ever gone longer then year two without a price drop, ps4 won't be any different. Sony has even said growing install base is more important. 

What you are predicting is not possible. 

Around the Network
Phantasybubble said:
Landguy said:

The Wii has nothing to do with anything.  Facts are facts,  the leading console has never stagnated in its second year.  To say the lesser popular console will gain 50 percent gap back is foolish.  What countries will the sales come from? 

Ps4  was made with price cuts in mind. No console has ever gone longer then year two without a price drop, ps4 won't be any different. Sony has even said growing install base is more important. 

How is predicting that a console will be at 33 million sold 26 months into the generation "not Possible"?  If you would have asked almost anybody 2 years ago to guess the sold #'s of the PS4 at 26 months, most would have said 25 million would have been successful.  

I am not suggesting that the PS4 stagnates.  I am suggesting that it continues to overperform.  You are the one suggesting that there is no end to a products growth.  If you think so, call Apple and ask about the Ipad sales or Samsung and see how the Galaxy S5 is selling.  There are no absolutes in electronics.

I did not say that the Gap will decrease between the PS4 and XB1, I said that it will increase.  It just won't increase at the same rate as last year.  If the XB1 and PS4 have similar sales in the US/UK total for 2015, then the increasing gap has to slow down considerably.  M$ has shown that they are willing and able to do that.

Landguy said:
Phantasybubble said:

How is predicting that a console will be at 33 million sold 26 months into the generation "not Possible"?  If you would have asked almost anybody 2 years ago to guess the sold #'s of the PS4 at 26 months, most would have said 25 million would have been successful.  

I am not suggesting that the PS4 stagnates.  I am suggesting that it continues to overperform.  You are the one suggesting that there is no end to a products growth.  If you think so, call Apple and ask about the Ipad sales or Samsung and see how the Galaxy S5 is selling.  There are no absolutes in electronics.

I did not say that the Gap will decrease between the PS4 and XB1, I said that it will increase.  It just won't increase at the same rate as last year.  If the XB1 and PS4 have similar sales in the US/UK total for 2015, then the increasing gap has to slow down considerably.  M$ has shown that they are willing and able to do that.

You don't even understand your own post,  your prediction means the gap this year will decrease 50 percent compared to last year,  and that ps4 will grow At a drastically lower rate then x1. Nit only is that asinine,  it would break every historic president. Ps4 only ends at 33 million,  it would be a terrible year.  It's ridiculous. 

Phantasybubble said:
Landguy said:

You don't even understand your own post,  your prediction means the gap this year will decrease 50 percent compared to last year,  and that ps4 will grow At a drastically lower rate then x1. Nit only is that asinine,  it would break every historic president. Ps4 only ends at 33 million,  it would be a terrible year.  It's ridiculous. 

I said that the PS4 will sell 15 million units this year?  I also said the Xb1 will sell 11 -12 Million.  The Gap will grow.  PS4 has a 7+ million gap now and will have a 10+ million gap by years end.

Do you think that PS4 will sell so well in 2015 that it will have a bigger gap in YEARLY sales than it did in 2014?  It had a large gap in 2014 of nearly 7million.  Are you suggesting that it will sell 20 million in 2015 alone? or are you suggesting that the XB1 will now tank in sales in 2015?

Landguy said:
Phantasybubble said:

I said that the PS4 will sell 15 million units this year?  I also said the Xb1 will sell 11 -12 Million.  The Gap will grow.  PS4 has a 7+ million gap now and will have a 10+ million gap by years end.

Do you think that PS4 will sell so well in 2015 that it will have a bigger gap in YEARLY sales than it did in 2014?  It had a large gap in 2014 of nearly 7million.  Are you suggesting that it will sell 20 million in 2015 alone? or are you suggesting that the XB1 will now tank in sales in 2015?

Sigh.  I am talking the yearly gap.  According to you the x1 will close the sales gap in 2015 a lot in 2015 versus 2014, meanwhile you have second year growth historically low for ps4 and the market leader. Too optimistic for x1, lowballing ps4, not happening. 

The ps4 is going to get a price drop this year,  that's guaranteed. 

That's a bit of a weak bet...