By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - [STAFF ANNOUNCEMENT] The Site Rules Have Been Updated: Effective Immediately

starcraft said:
Stefl1504 said:
So... by the new rules, am I still fine?

You have over 5000 posts and I have never heard of you.

I'd say you're doing ok

Just believe in the power of love and it is ez!

Around the Network
padib said:
Smeags said:

(From Rule 13: Insults & Flaming)

• Moderators will look at overt discrimination very harshly. Blatant forms of racism, sexism, homophobia, or any other sort of hatred towards a group of people(s) will not be tolerated, and will be met with firm moderation.

@overt. Welp, there goes our freedom to express ourselves on fundamental topics. I say this assuming "discrimination" will be used for anyone who disagrees with the political status quo. Hopefully I'm wrong. What solidifies my fear is that terms like homophobia are completely inadequate. A person is free to feel the way they feel, be it feeling uncomfortable with certain sexual practices. It doesn't make them a hater.

I'd like to point out that "Overt" and "disrespectful" are two very different things. One can be overt about a fundamental disagreement towards certain practices, it doesn't make one a hater. Also, religion was not included in the big list (bold) so that's up to interpretation.

bananaking21 said:

Moderators will look at overt discrimination very harshly. Blatant forms of racism, sexism, homophobia, or any other sort of hatred towards a group of people(s) will not be tolerated, and will be met with firm moderation.

well ill be blunt here, i hope the moderators actually pay attention to comments about muslims, arabs or middle easterns in general. while i dont usually enter political threads to stay away from these comments, at times i do. and the number of misinformed, blantantly wrong or just flat out offensive comments. personally ill stay away from these threads, but there is a good number of people who are from those groups that i mentioned that might be in those threads, and get offended by them. 

I'm glad someone else noticed. It's pretty glaring that a grossly hated/berated group (religious people) was ignored from the big list.

Seece said:

:) nice! 

A lot of (gay mods) seem more tolerant of "differing" opinions than me (but then I have zero tolerance for it) so glad to see harsher punishment!

Yup, bravo in helping to make vgchartz a place where people can't disagree with the political status quo, even if they are being open (overt) and honest and respectful about it.

@Mods. I think you guys totally dropped the ball on this one. So you consult Seece (who has shown time and time again difficulty to cope with opinions that differ from his, and who had a few divisive clashes with important members in the past) but don't consult other people who have shown to be reasonable about what constitutes and what does not constitute hate. I could describe the subtle differences for a day.

I'm really dissappointed.

The rule will be completely misused and abused, it's obvious. Why did you guys not ask some of us for who this was obviously an important issue? We may not be mods but some of us have some years behind us and can help clear things up.

If you want, I can help point out the flaws in the rule and show you how to make it an excellent rule or at least a noble one.

Here are the flaws in the rule:

• Discrimination is completely up to the interpretation of the mod and of the user making the report. A user with influence could help cause this rule to be abused. We already know who that could be (see bold in quote above) and who it could be targetted at. The terms need to be completely and unambiguously defined.
  • Religion/non-religion is a very hated life choice. It should be included in the big list. Lesser ones such as age and culture should also be added.
  • Laws change all the time, and people have had to voice opinions that were contrary to the status quo to catalize that change. Removing that right of dialogue is counter-productive to this forum and to any society. The rule is unclear as to whether or not this is allowed.
How to clarify what is BAD.
  • Hating is bad.
What is hate?
  • Hate is not discrimination. Discrimination could be due to hate but it could be not. Hate is the bad, that much is certain.
  • Discrimination is totally dependent on the current laws. A murderer may not be happy that he is in prison, but the law does discriminate him. He does not have the same rights as all other people and must be confined to a prison until he/she has served their sentence.
  • Hate is a feeling which leads to the use of words or actions directed to hurt another person. Why is hating bad? Because hurting people is bad. I don't think vgchartz wants hurt people.
  • When people hate online, they will do things like fling dirt at a person, harass them, turn people against them, and so on and so forth.
How to manage hate?
  • The best way to manage this is to observe behaviors and discern when a person is being abusive and insulting
  • By bearing in mind what is hate
  • By looking for clues of hate within posts (dirt-flinging, use of slang terms, harassment, opinionated/arrogant tone, etc.).
When can having a politically-incorrect opinion not constitute hate?
  • When the opinion is part of a person's core belief which they may want to share to express themselves, with no intent to hate. This would be made obvious by their effort in avoiding to insult anyone carelessly.
What are the signs of not having an intent to hate? The user is:
  • respectful.
  • describing their thoughts as clearly as possible.
  • making an effort to be learned.
  • making an effort not to offend anyone in the process of saying things which may be disagreeable to another user, though said honestly and respectfully. People will never always be happy to hear each others' opinions and the idea is to help people learn to look at things from other peoples' points of view.
So I would reword the rule as follows:
  • Moderators will look at hate posts very harshly. Blatant forms of hate towards people of a given race, sex, age, sexual orientation, religion, culture, ideology or any other sort of hatred towards a group of people(s) will not be tolerated, and will be met with firm moderation. For clarity, to share an opinion contrary to political status quo does not constitute hate. Hate will be evaluated on tone, choice of words, attitude and possible trolling on a case by case basis. Lack of tact when posting in topics pertaining to the main people groups mentioned above will be dealt with severely.  The use of slant terms such as "feminazi", "fag", "religious bigot", "nigger", "terrorist" (in sweeping reference to middle-eastern people) or other slant terms will lead to an immediate ban. Example: You may disagree with sexual equality and are free to express it in a respectful and sober manner. You may not however carelessly insult one sex or another (or any individuals therein).
Other examples could be:
  • "You may disagree with a particular generally accepted ideology such as gay marriage and are free to express it in a respectful and sober manner. You may not however insult the LGBT community using slant terms or by being rude (judged on choice of words and tone, on a case-by-case basis)."
  • "You may disagree with a particular point of religious belief such as Jihad, the Levitical Law, the Trinity, reincarnation, specific creation, etc. and are free to express it in a respectful and sober manner. You may not however insult the religious community using slant terms or by being rude (judged on choice of words and tone, on a case-by-case basis)."
Sure it's verbose, but it's unambiguous and leaves little room for abuse. I'm sure the version I'm proposing can be made more concise while maintaining its integrity.

I love this. Stop lumping religion in with sexuality and race as if they deserve the same sort of protection. There is nothing to argue or disagree with it comes to the latter, those opinions are not tolerated in the modern world, you're either for or against. Religion however is vastly different.

If you disagree with homosexuality (or black people) in any way or stance, you're homophobic/racist. There is no "bu ... but I just have a different opinion than you!" It is what it is and there is NO in between.

However it's perfectly acceptable to be angry or use defensive speech against certain religious topics (such as outdated practices).

If you don't want quote trees then have it like how Facebook, and youtube does it. Get with the times otherwise you'll be modding people for using a forum feature.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Seece said:
padib said:
Smeags said:

• Moderators will look at overt discrimination very harshly. Blatant forms of racism, sexism, homophobia, or any other sort of hatred towards a group of people(s) will not be tolerated, and will be met with firm moderation.

@overt. Welp, there goes our freedom to express ourselves on fundamental topics. I say this assuming "discrimination" will be used for anyone who disagrees with the political status quo. Hopefully I'm wrong. What solidifies my fear is that terms like homophobia are completely inadequate. A person is free to feel the way they feel, be it feeling uncomfortable with certain sexual practices. It doesn't make them a hater.

I'd like to point out that "Overt" and "disrespectful" are two very different things. One can be overt about a fundamental disagreement towards certain practices, it doesn't make one a hater. Also, religion was not included in the big list (bold) so that's up to interpretation.

bananaking21 said:

Moderators will look at overt discrimination very harshly. Blatant forms of racism, sexism, homophobia, or any other sort of hatred towards a group of people(s) will not be tolerated, and will be met with firm moderation.

well ill be blunt here, i hope the moderators actually pay attention to comments about muslims, arabs or middle easterns in general. while i dont usually enter political threads to stay away from these comments, at times i do. and the number of misinformed, blantantly wrong or just flat out offensive comments. personally ill stay away from these threads, but there is a good number of people who are from those groups that i mentioned that might be in those threads, and get offended by them. 

I'm glad someone else noticed. It's pretty glaring that a grossly hated/berated group (religious people) was ignored from the big list.

Seece said:

A lot of (gay mods) seem more tolerant of "differing" opinions than me (but then I have zero tolerance for it) so glad to see harsher punishment!

Yup, bravo in helping to make vgchartz a place where people can't disagree with the political status quo, even if they are being open (overt) and honest and respectful about it.

@Mods. I think you guys totally dropped the ball on this one. So you consult Seece (who has shown time and time again difficulty to cope with opinions that differ from his, and who had a few divisive clashes with important members in the past) but don't consult other people who have shown to be reasonable about what constitutes and what does not constitute hate. I could describe the subtle differences for a day.

The rule will be completely misused and abused, it's obvious. Why did you guys not ask some of us for who this was obviously an important issue? We may not be mods but some of us have some years behind us and can help clear things up.

If you want, I can help point out the flaws in the rule and show you how to make it an excellent rule or at least a noble one.

• Discrimination is completely up to the interpretation of the mod and of the user making the report. A user with influence could help cause this rule to be abused. We already know who that could be (see bold in quote above) and who it could be targetted at. The terms need to be completely and unambiguously defined.
  • Religion/non-religion is a very hated life choice. It should be included in the big list. Lesser ones such as age and culture should also be added.
  • Laws change all the time, and people have had to voice opinions that were contrary to the status quo to catalize that change. Removing that right of dialogue is counter-productive to this forum and to any society. The rule is unclear as to whether or not this is allowed.
  • Hating is bad.
What is hate?
  • Hate is not discrimination. Discrimination could be due to hate but it could be not. Hate is the bad, that much is certain.
  • Discrimination is totally dependent on the current laws. A murderer may not be happy that he is in prison, but the law does discriminate him. He does not have the same rights as all other people and must be confined to a prison until he/she has served their sentence.
  • Hate is a feeling which leads to the use of words or actions directed to hurt another person. Why is hating bad? Because hurting people is bad. I don't think vgchartz wants hurt people.
  • When people hate online, they will do things like fling dirt at a person, harass them, turn people against them, and so on and so forth.
How to manage hate?
  • The best way to manage this is to observe behaviors and discern when a person is being abusive and insulting
  • By looking for clues of hate within posts (dirt-flinging, use of slang terms, harassment, opinionated/arrogant tone, etc.).
  • When the opinion is part of a person's core belief which they may want to share to express themselves, with no intent to hate. This would be made obvious by their effort in avoiding to insult anyone carelessly.
  • respectful.
  • making an effort not to offend anyone in the process of saying things which may be disagreeable to another user, though said honestly and respectfully. People will never always be happy to hear each others' opinions and the idea is to help people learn to look at things from other peoples' points of view.
  • Moderators will look at hate posts very harshly. Blatant forms of hate towards people of a given race, sex, age, sexual orientation, religion, culture, ideology or any other sort of hatred towards a group of people(s) will not be tolerated, and will be met with firm moderation. For clarity, to share an opinion contrary to political status quo does not constitute hate. Hate will be evaluated on tone, choice of words, attitude and possible trolling on a case by case basis. Lack of tact when posting in topics pertaining to the main people groups mentioned above will be dealt with severely.  The use of slant terms such as "feminazi", "fag", "religious bigot", "nigger", "terrorist" (in sweeping reference to middle-eastern people) or other slant terms will lead to an immediate ban. Example: You may disagree with sexual equality and are free to express it in a respectful and sober manner. You may not however carelessly insult one sex or another (or any individuals therein).
Other examples could be:
  • "You may disagree with a particular generally accepted ideology such as gay marriage and are free to express it in a respectful and sober manner. You may not however insult the LGBT community using slant terms or by being rude (judged on choice of words and tone, on a case-by-case basis)."
  • "You may disagree with a particular point of religious belief such as Jihad, the Levitical Law, the Trinity, reincarnation, specific creation, etc. and are free to express it in a respectful and sober manner. You may not however insult the religious community using slant terms or by being rude (judged on choice of words and tone, on a case-by-case basis)."
Sure it's verbose, but it's unambiguous and leaves little room for abuse. I'm sure the version I'm proposing can be made more concise while maintaining its integrity.

I love this. Stop lumping religion in with sexuality and race as if they deserve the same sort of protection. There is nothing to argue or disagree with it comes to the latter, those opinions are not tolerated in the modern world, you're either for or against. Religion however is vastly different.

If you disagree with homosexuality (or black people) in any way or stance, you're homophobic/racist. There is no "bu ... but I just have a different opinion than you!" It is what it is and there is NO in between.

However it's perfectly acceptable to be angry or use defensive speech against certain religious topics (such as outdated practices).

I bolded the important part. Religion would fall in here. Also, the only reason I can see anyone complaining against this rule is that they are wanting to say, "You're a f**," or something equally insulting. Discriminating isn't saying, "I don't agree with your life choice." Discriminating is saying, "I don't agree with your life choice, and now I am going to insult you, or treat you differently (e.g. poorly)." That isn't acceptable.

Cirio said:
bananaking21 said:

I agree with this. Often times I see blantantly ignorant or offensive posts about the above mentioned group, and I routinely mark them for moderation. Unfortunately, I have yet to see any action taken against those posts. It's either because of the mods own ignorance about the topic (in which case we need a more diverse group of moderators) or their own preexisting bias. Either way I hope the mod team finds a way to stay fair to all kinds of groups.

Please don't assume that the mod team is ignorant or prejudiced when it comes to any ethnic, religious, or cultural community. This is a very well-educated, wordly, empathetic group of moderators which takes discrimination very seriously. I promise you that.

On a personal note, I studied Middle Eastern history for four years on an undergraduate level and two years on a graduate level. I also spent a year living and working in Baghdad. 

Around the Network
Seece said:
padib said:
Smeags said:

bananaking21 said:

Seece said:

• Hating is bad.
What is hate?
How to manage hate?
  • respectful.
Other examples could be:

I'm gonna play the devil's advocate on this. So if someone criticizes homosexuality or blacks then they are homophobic or racist? If I say that I don't like gay parades (too loud) or how blacks are openly racist to whites then I'm a homephobe or a racist?

Aeolus451 said:
Seece said:

I'm gonna play the devil's adovocate on this. So if someone critisizes homosexuality or blacks then they are homophobic or racist? If I say that I don't like gay parades (too loud) or how blacks are openly racist to whites then I'm a homephobe or a racist?

That's not disagreeing with homosexuality tho (and for the record I agree about parades, but for different reasons). I don't see that as being against gays. It's people saying stuff liek "I don't like gay marriage" there is no instance here where that isn't homophobic.

Seece said:
Aeolus451 said:
Seece said:

I'm gonna play the devil's adovocate on this. So if someone critisizes homosexuality or blacks then they are homophobic or racist? If I say that I don't like gay parades (too loud) or how blacks are openly racist to whites then I'm a homephobe or a racist?

That's not disagreeing with homosexuality tho (and for the record I agree about parades, but for different reasons). I don't see that as being against gays. It's people saying stuff liek "I don't like gay marriage" there is no instance here where that isn't homophobic.

What about the other part? :D

Seece said:
Aeolus451 said:
Seece said:

Saying, "I don't agree with gay marriage," isn't discriminating. Discriminating is treating someone different based on their race/religion/etc. You aren't treating them different with that thought. You are merely expressing an opinion. Now if you say, "I think gays should have less rights," or, "I think we should get rid of gays," or, "I hate gays," etc, that would be discrimination/hate speech.

IFireflyl said:
Seece said:
Aeolus451 said:
Seece said:

Saying, "I don't agree with gay marriage," isn't discriminating. Discriminating is treating someone different based on their race/religion/etc. You aren't treating them different with that thought. You are merely expressing an opinion. Now if you say, "I think gays should have less rights," or, "I think we should get rid of gays," or, "I hate gays," etc, that would be discrimination/hate speech.

Who said anything about discriminating? I said homophobia, saying I don't like gay marriage is homophobic.

My opinion is to silence the enemy, I obviously have no sympathy or such for those that disagree with homosexuality or any aspect of it, so I want them gagged.