By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - will the gens become mangled?

I don't see the wisdom in nintendo releasing a console that earlier and devs might distance themselves further from nintendo. Porting games to a console with that kind life cycle would be a pain..

Around the Network

I think Microsoft is content to sit on theirs for a while and Sony is in no condition to launch a new console anytime soon, so Nintendo may indeed be half way through their next one before the next Xbox.

It does seem like the PS4 and Xbox1 are already falling behind the tech curve though... They might not last as long as the last gen did.

SJReiter said:
platformmaster918 said:
SJReiter said:
I guess maybe a little? I think Nintendo's next gen system will come out in 2017, with the PS5/XB2 coming out in 2019, so that could be a little confusing. Not as extreme as your example, though.

isn't that basically what Dreamcast did?

Exactly. It's not like something like this would be unprecedented.

I believe Genesis came out a couple years before SNES also

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

PS4/XB1 will not last until 2021 and Wii U won't die in 2016. This is a very extreme example, but I get what you're trying to say. They should only end up being a couple years apart, and that's already happened before, so I don't think it will be an issue.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Johnw1104 said:
I think Microsoft is content to sit on theirs for a while and Sony is in no condition to launch a new console anytime soon, so Nintendo may indeed be half way through their next one before the next Xbox.

It does seem like the PS4 and Xbox1 are already falling behind the tech curve though... They might not last as long as the last gen did.

they cant last as long as the last gen because they started way behind the tech curve.  and they will have much bigger problems because both consoles are just marketed as this new powerfull console that kicks ass, nintendo doesnt has this problem, because they dont market the power of the wiiu.

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:
I don't think so. Nintendo will release their Next generation system in 2016 and it will only be slightly stronger than a PS4 or Xbox One. Therefore it will be considered as Gen 8.5. They will then go on to release their real next generation console in 2022 around a year after the release of the PS5 and Xbox 720 ( I like the name ). Either this will happen or they will stick to the Wii U.

I think next year is too soon. 2017 is much more likely.

I would guess WiiU and WiiU2 (2016) would both be part of this generation. What generations do Sega Genesis, 32x, Sega CD and Sega Saturn all fall under?

Nymeria said:
I would guess WiiU and WiiU2 (2016) would both be part of this generation. What generations do Sega Genesis, 32x, Sega CD and Sega Saturn all fall under?

Well Wikipedia lists the Mega Drive, Genesis, and 32x all as gen 4. 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28fourth_generation%29

SJReiter said:
Nymeria said:

Well Wikipedia lists the Mega Drive, Genesis, and 32x all as gen 4. 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28fourth_generation%29

Then if Nintendo made a new system in 2016 it would be part of gen 8.

Next-generation Sony and Microsoft systems? What an adorable suggestion.