By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil was not a shooter/action game.

Tagged games:

Resident Evil was not a shooter/action game.

It was something more! 50 81.97%

It was something less... 3 4.92%

It was just that... 8 13.11%

Total:61
Kyuu said:
Apparently some users still don't understand what's bothering you even when you got it explained so well..

I liked Resident Evil 4. I respected Capcom's choices for trying to innovate because I believe the series needed it in order to "survive" But why tone down the horror? why ditch freakouts, puzzle elements, and simplify everything? I may have enjoyed RE4 and 5 (6 was bad) but neither came even close to that amazing experience old school RE games offered. Especially the Gamecube Remake. Such a classic.

RE4 keeps on getting blindly defended despite its obvious drawbacks. The game felt like it was made with too much consideration to casuals. Just because it did a lot of things better doesn't justify the flaws whatsoever... Capcom really gave their own series' traditions a huge middle finger where it could've been avoided.. I would've fallen in love with RE4 if it got me to "plan!"... to "think" twice about every decision I make, every bullet I fire, and every item I pick up.

Man, how I miss that excitement when you finally get a certain key that gives you access to 4 or 5 locked rooms :)

I get it. I think the OP was edited, though.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

It's still a great game.  A more cerebral experience.  I replayed RE0 for my little girl (she loves to watch me play horror games) about a year ago.  Then, I fired up REMake for the Gamecube.  My old saves were still there!  Was using the infinite ammo and some janky looking zombie came shambling up.  I freaked out and shot it.

*explosion*

Game over.

I said "Fuck this game!" and never played it again.  I intend to buy the game again--not sure which version.  Loved it back when and, despite the mishap last time, I still love it now.  I still don't think that's a direction the series should return to.  The scares that only scare once (and really, after RE1, it wasn't scary at all) and the insane puzzles that required so much back tracking?  Just can't see myself going back to that.  When RE was at the top of its game, we had tons of games that copied its style (even Capcom themselves with Dino Crisis!).  We don't even get copycats these days.  The market has moved on.

I'm in agreement with you here. It's nice to revisit with a remake here and there, but by no means should RE games of tomorrow play like this. 

It's pretty simple when you think about it. Fuse the planning, tension, ammo conservation and puzzles from the old games with presentation and controls  and level design of the new games. 

In the process please ditch the Michael Bay like direction and tone and for gods sake Capcom, reboot the story. New characters, new everything. 

Even if resident evil 4 is amazing, it´s a totaly different game. Nothing beats the originals, especially the second one.

Yeah the gameplay may have changed but there is something very important that RE never lost. And that's the cheese.

Besides we have games like P.T. now. The "saviours" of B movie horror games.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Ka-pi96 said:
heh, I don't often agree with you but I agree with everything you're saying here!

LOL, in other news, hell just froze over... =)

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

I got to try the game for the first time last night. MY initial reaction after completing several hours is that we do not need to replicate this game. The game is not really scary; the enemies are not treacherous. They are slow and sometimes easy to avoid. The camera angles often prevent the player from seeing the position of the enemy creating frustration and not terror. To be good at the game, you must memorize the area. Which is fine because the difficulty can keep your attention, but it creates a situation for a lot of repetition. You will need patience.

Another reason it is not scary is the constant loading screens on every door. It allows a player to run from and escape danger and also eliminates any feeling of being in constent threat. 

The game was built seemingly on limitations of the time. It has little action and a lot of planning in it. The main reason I can enjoy it is because it is different. If more games replicated its camera style and lack of ammo the feeling of freshness the game would go away. Some things should be left in past efforts.

Burek said:
d21lewis said:
I just looked at Wikipedia. RE5 is the highest selling game in the series. Wow.

It deserves it. An excellent game, with bonus points for great implementation of co-op.

It looks amazing, I will give you that, african villages never looked that good.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

d21lewis said:
Kyuu said:
Apparently some users still don't understand what's bothering you even when you got it explained so well..

I liked Resident Evil 4. I respected Capcom's choices for trying to innovate because I believe the series needed it in order to "survive" But why tone down the horror? why ditch freakouts, puzzle elements, and simplify everything? I may have enjoyed RE4 and 5 (6 was bad) but neither came even close to that amazing experience old school RE games offered. Especially the Gamecube Remake. Such a classic.

RE4 keeps on getting blindly defended despite its obvious drawbacks. The game felt like it was made with too much consideration to casuals. Just because it did a lot of things better doesn't justify the flaws whatsoever... Capcom really gave their own series' traditions a huge middle finger where it could've been avoided.. I would've fallen in love with RE4 if it got me to "plan!"... to "think" twice about every decision I make, every bullet I fire, and every item I pick up.

Man, how I miss that excitement when you finally get a certain key that gives you access to 4 or 5 locked rooms :)

I get it. I think the OP was edited, though.

I have inserted a Addendum, but with a fair warning that it was a addendum, so I think I am still playing by the rules =D

AlfredoTurkey said:
dukerx2 said:
Im happy someone else sees 4 for what it is.

Exactly. RE4 is a good game, but it's a different IP. RE1-CV is true RE imo.

Imo also

And 2D Mario is true Mario in my opinion! None of this "Collecting Stars" crap!