By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Iran Eliminates US Dollar in Foreign Trade

January 24, 2015 - 11:19

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iran no more uses US dollar in monetary transactions with foreign countries, an official at the Central Bank of Iran (CBI) announced.

Gholamali Kamyab, a CBI deputy head, told the Tasnim News Agency that Iran does not employ the US dollar in trade with any country anymore, saying other currencies have been replaced in transactions.

“In trade exchanges with the foreign countries, Iran uses other currencies, including Chinese yuan, euro, Turkish lira, Russian ruble and South Korean won,” Kamyab said.

He also added that Iran is considering bilateral currency swap agreements with a number of countries, saying negotiations for signing such agreements will begin soon.

Bilateral currency swap agreements are to ease trade and economic transactions, Kamyab noted.

Replacing the US dollar with other currencies is something many other countries have been after as well.

In January 2014, the World Bank's former chief economist called for an initiative for replacing the US dollar with a single global super-currency, saying it will create a more stable global financial system.

"The dominance of the greenback is the root cause of global financial and economic crises," Justin Yifu Lin told Bruegel, a Brussels-based policy-research think tank. "The solution to this is to replace the national currency with a global currency."

http://www.tasnimnews.com/English/Home/Single/630236

So? Democratic bombings are on their way to Iran, I presume?

Around the Network

We have a global currency, it's called gold and silver.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

SlayerRondo said:
We have a global currency, it's called gold and silver.

Dwarvish propaganda.

Global currencys don't work.
I mean look at the euro and that's just (parts) of europe. Also the failure of the Bretton-Woods system before it. There is too much discrepancy betwen the different countries for this to work.

mai said:
January 24, 2015 - 11:19

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iran no more uses US dollar in monetary transactions with foreign countries, an official at the Central Bank of Iran (CBI) announced.

Gholamali Kamyab, a CBI deputy head, told the Tasnim News Agency that Iran does not employ the US dollar in trade with any country anymore, saying other currencies have been replaced in transactions.

“In trade exchanges with the foreign countries, Iran uses other currencies, including Chinese yuan, euro, Turkish lira, Russian ruble and South Korean won,” Kamyab said.

He also added that Iran is considering bilateral currency swap agreements with a number of countries, saying negotiations for signing such agreements will begin soon.

Bilateral currency swap agreements are to ease trade and economic transactions, Kamyab noted.

Replacing the US dollar with other currencies is something many other countries have been after as well.

In January 2014, the World Bank's former chief economist called for an initiative for replacing the US dollar with a single global super-currency, saying it will create a more stable global financial system.

"The dominance of the greenback is the root cause of global financial and economic crises," Justin Yifu Lin told Bruegel, a Brussels-based policy-research think tank. "The solution to this is to replace the national currency with a global currency."

http://www.tasnimnews.com/English/Home/Single/630236

So? Democratic bombings are on their way to Iran, I presume?

That war drum  has been beaten multiple times and public wanted nothing to do with it after Iraq.   I would guess government maybe try to strong arm them via other pressures.

Around the Network
mai said:

For those who believe in the end of days, that seems like the start to a self-fullfilling prophecy.

Good, and also the US won't attack a country that will actually fight back.

What benefits is it to the us when a country uses its dollar?

Interesting. Its not a big deal for their trade partners since they don't trade with America. I've actually been to Iran, and the stores, hotels, and many other places were accepting dollars as well as their local rials.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Interesting, since I just saw this the other day. Ralph Peters predicts that Iran will soon control western Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Bahrain, and Yemen.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/01/23/ralph_peters_iran_building_a_new_persian_empire.html

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata