By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokken might be the 3D Pokemon action game many fans dreamed of.

I kind of wish it was just a 2D fighter honestly. I was slightly dissapointed when they showed it in a 3d enviroment. I still have high hopes of it being the best Pokemon spinoff though.

Around the Network
Areym said:

"enjoyed in a wider range"

Pfft, sounds casual as shtuff. On a serious note, I'd rather they focus on a full fledge, 3D pokemon Adventure for the Wii U. It doesn't even have to be all 700 something pokemons, just make the original 151 and I will buy 6 copies.

Did you even read my post at all?

And they will never make a Pokemon with "just the original 151." Ever.

JayWood2010 said:
I kind of wish it was just a 2D fighter honestly. I was slightly dissapointed when they showed it in a 3d enviroment. I still have high hopes of it being the best Pokemon spinoff though.

That's what I'm getting at, though. In my post, I address that. I feel like it's not meant to simply be a 2D fighter, and I feel like, given the evidence, there's a good reason for it not to be.

Imagine exploring a small region like Orre with no wild Pokemon, and whenever you get into a trainer battle, it takes you to the Pokken-style arena instead of a turn based arena like in the main games. That's what I think might be going on.

spemanig said:
JayWood2010 said:

I think the 3D enviroment fits perfectly for pokemon if you take a look at how pokemon battles play out on the anime.  So i personally think they made a good decision because it stays true to how pokemon works.

With that said i just prefer 2D fighters more.  Though thats just me.  Ill still probably get it once it comes to WiiU.  I think its something that id have to play myself before i judge it too much

JayWood2010 said:

I think the 3D enviroment fits perfectly for pokemon if you take a look at how pokemon battles play out on the anime.  So i personally think they made a good decision because it stays true to how pokemon works.

With that said i just prefer 2D fighters more.  Though thats just me.  Ill still probably get it once it comes to WiiU.  I think its something that id have to play myself before i judge it too much

I prefer 2D fighters more to, but when I think of it as a competitive action game instead of a fighting game like what Hareda wants it to be considered, it begins makes too much sense. That's why I think it works more as a combat system for a game when you're on an adventure with Pokemon. Then, like in the Pokemon RPGs, you can take that same combat system and battle real people. That's where I think this game will shine if my hypothesis turns out to be true.

If you watch the trailer, there are even stat buffs and debuffs. Machamp use Bulk Up/Focus energy constantly, and Emolga lowers the opponent's speed if the move connects. That adds a layer of trategy that will be very familiar to you if you play Pokemon competitively like me, and it's deferent from any fighting game I've ever seen.

That being said, there are clearly elements of traditional fighting games (as well as hack'n'slash games like Bayonetta, if we're being honest), and that was an excellent design choice. It gives the whole game a sense of balance that's important. What I really hope for is the eventual addition of 2v2/3v3 tag battles. That's very Pokemon, and would allow them to not worry as much about balancing every individual Pokemon, because the strategy would be in building a balanced team that covers each other's weaknesses.

I really think this game will be something no one is expecting, given what we know so far. Something special that could even rival the main games.

Around the Network

Yeah, pokken could be much more than it seems to be.

I wanted a pokemon game that mimic the kanto world(but not only the 150, but mostly them), but in 3D, 3rd person, chosing starter, getting badges and go to beat elite four and champion.
But the battles are like a 2D fighting game(i like 2d more), where you have until 6 pokemon and you can switch among them in the middle of the battle.(if oponent have less, you choose the same number)
They should keep leveling up pokemon and evolution, but with adaptations(less diference among different levels for instance). Effectiveness should be there too, status effects too, abilities, but all adaptated for working on a fighting game.
Anywhere in the game you can start a online battle.
Then, release a game of the johto region, then a game of hoenn, and so on. But the games are adictive, if you have both, you can play in all regions in the same game.
Ok, i know its not happening.

just hoping this actually releases in the U.S. :(

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHwUjFzY_I

Pokken gameplay. That seems a lot of fun.

Good, now that your demands have been met, will you cease your hostilities against GameFreak? :P

Was this even confirmed for Wii U yet? I wouldn't get too excited for this game considering the possibility of never being able to play it is still there.