By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox on Windows 10: the end of Steam?

Tagged games:

Is Valve...

...safe because MS won't... 35 14.89%

...safe. MS will sell gam... 99 42.13%

...safe, because all PC g... 11 4.68%

...doomed. MS will crush ... 7 2.98%

...doomed. They will give... 65 27.66%

...doomed. But MS is too ... 17 7.23%

Total:234
badgenome said:

Look at him. He is fat and chubby. Almost anyone could steal his lunch money and get away with it.

Around the Network
Landguy said:
Ultrashroomz said:
Xbox won't be stopping Steam anytime soon.

Sure, this is not an instant victory anyway.  It will take 3-4 years to have enough marketshare with Win10 to even matter anyway.  But, M$ can use their influence to bring more and more games to the Xbox app that are "exclusive" to it on the PC side.  Over time, the profitablity of many games may depend on whether they are in the Xbox pc gaming store or not.  My guess, this will never eliminate steam, but it could hurt them considerably long term...

Remember, the data about new Windows versions adoption rate is based on all users. It includes schools and business, that are slow to upgrade because of the large amount of machines, non-tech savy users who don't know/care, moms and dads, etc. High-end PC gamers, Steam's public, are more bleeding edge. And with DX12 being a W10 exclusive while bringing significant performance improvements, they can speed up the adoption rate for PC gamers.

The moneyhatting for exclusives is something that can hurt Valve. MS probably paid a lot of money to get some games out of PS4 (since it involves losing millions in sales), so they aren't afraid to pay. It would be cheaper too since they wouldn't be removing the game of a platform, but just changing the way to get it.

Will PC gamers need to pay for a Live account in order to play cross platform games. If so, it's already DOA. The only real benefit is for people who already have an Xbox One. What they are doing is trying to create cross platform sales. In other words, if you have an Xbox One you Are More likly to upgrade your OS.

A PC gamer is much more likely to get Windows 10 and invest the cost of an Xbox One into a graphics card.

Steam isn't at risk. Not even close.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Yeah i can see them lining up to ditch there $1000's game collection to switch to a portal that allows them to buy X1 games and record there steam library that they just ditched.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Also, the OP was wrong about Steam having too few games on platforms other than Windows. The library is actually pretty good and expanding. Sure, many key titles are still missing, but Linux and Mac support are getting increasingly common.

I use Linux, so I can see what Steam OS will have. Metro Last Light/2033, Borderlands 2/Pre-sequel, Xcom: Enemy Within/Enemy Unknown, Serious Sam 3, Football Manager 2015, Half-life 1/2, Counter-strike (all), Civilization V, Portal 1/2, The Witcher 2, Total War, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Dead Island and a lot of indies.

So we have a bunch of games that were on other platforms years ago being late ported, a lot of indies and not a single one of the top selling franchises that launched on next gen consoles and PCs.

I mean, the biggest advantage of a gaming PC turned into a console is that it have all the major games. Valve just removed the advantage. The most graphically advanced title on this list is Metro Last Light, also on PS4.

m$ will have to be realy cheap to beat steam and all the sites that make pc gaming cheap.(bundlestar, humblebundle...)

Xenostar said:
Yeah i can see them lining up to ditch there $1000's game collection to switch to a portal that allows them to buy X1 games and record there steam library that they just ditched.

And if games are cheaper at MS store? You don't have to throw your Steam games away, but maybe you won't buy new ones there simply because MS has better pricing options.

And if some newer games are MS store exclusives?

torok said:
Xenostar said:

And if games are cheaper at MS store? You don't have to throw your Steam games away, but maybe you won't buy new ones there simply because MS has better pricing options.

And if some newer games are MS store exclusives?

they musst be realy cheap to beat steam. and they have to do something for the publishers to get them exklusiv on pc. and AAA titles arent as important on pc...

No chance, the Steam community is too great with tons of free games and the amazing Steam deals can't be beat. Plus Half-Life.