By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer Unveils New Experiences for Xbox One and Windows 10 Gamers

-CraZed- said:
jonathanalis said:
"Now, while Xbox is coming to Windows, Windows 10 is also coming to Xbox One. As you know, Xbox One runs on Windows today for its app environment. Later this year we’ll update to Windows 10 to enable seamless interaction with PC gamers and to give developers who want to extend their applications to the television an easy path to do so."

So, I will be able to download any .exe software and install on my Xbox One, or plug a mouse and keyboard and text, photoshop, manage files,run a linux virtual machine, or even run steam games, and play them with keyboard and mouse, all on Xbox One?

Seriously doubtful.

Why?

If the XB1 was able to run Win10 programs, it would certanly be able to run steam.Running them effiently though would be a completely matter since the XB1 is really weak and not suited for PC games,if compared to real PCs

Around the Network
pokoko said:
It still feels kind of like a lot of words that don't mean all that much. I mean, it's good, obviously, but ... eh. I can't imagine very many people getting excited over it.

It really, really just sounds like a new method to pry some of the control away from Steam but I don't think it's going to have all that much effect. I get the impression that this is more of an Xbox thing than a PC thing, with most PC gamers being relatively unmoved by it.

Personally, screw "deep integration". I want my services to be separate.

I am very much in agreement.

I think it's a good idea for those that want it but if I can't uninstall the xbox app I will be annoyed. Not as supremely pissed off as I will be if they force me to start a Windows Live account when setting up my PC, but still annoyed.

It's that last bit that has me the most interested. Getting W10 apps on X1 can be huge since it can mean much more games, emulators and other resources that the competition simply does not have.

Kirin_gaming said:
-CraZed- said:
jonathanalis said:
"Now, while Xbox is coming to Windows, Windows 10 is also coming to Xbox One. As you know, Xbox One runs on Windows today for its app environment. Later this year we’ll update to Windows 10 to enable seamless interaction with PC gamers and to give developers who want to extend their applications to the television an easy path to do so."

So, I will be able to download any .exe software and install on my Xbox One, or plug a mouse and keyboard and text, photoshop, manage files,run a linux virtual machine, or even run steam games, and play them with keyboard and mouse, all on Xbox One?

Seriously doubtful.

Why?

If the XB1 was able to run Win10 programs, it would certanly be able to run steam.Running them effiently though would be a completely matter since the XB1 is really weak and not suited for PC games,if compared to real PCs

Read the quote you posted.  He is talking abouts applications, apps, not programs. I think you are letting your expectations run away from reality.

Puppyroach said:
It's that last bit that has me the most interested. Getting W10 apps on X1 can be huge since it can mean much more games, emulators and other resources that the competition simply does not have.

It's not what you think it is. It won't be the full desktop variant of Windows 10, it's the 'mobile' variant (even though they took away the naming differentiation in order to try to hide this).

IOW : this is what you will be able to do with the X1 basically : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/apps#Cat=t0

Still great that they're doing this, but it's not like you will be able to run Steam/etc on the X1.

The whole reasoning for the 'app' system in the first place is for Microsoft to get revenue from the sale of anything through that medium, which they don't get with standard windows desktop applications and software. A secondary reason is that things made for Microsoft app system aren't tied to X86 (so you can run them on phones running ARM CPUs), and for UI that is touch-friendly.