By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA V becomes the first western published title to sell over 1m copies in Japan.

KyleeStrutt said:
jetforcejiminy said:

not one but two (crash 2+3). possibly all three of the mainline psone games did, if the original isn't undertracked by a bit (.94m). thread title = not true.

Crash doesn't count because it was published by Sony, GTAV was entirely handled by Take Two, no Japanese involvement.

If we were discussing something in the likes of titles of titles developed by western developers then we inclide Crash, along with the likes of Donkey Kong 64 and Lugi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

sounds like a pretty weird set of parameters. clearly it's not the first western title. you should change the title to first western-published title, otherwise the title is indeed inaccurate.

at any rate, it was bound to happen at some point. i'm just glad it wasn't call of duty or sth.

Around the Network

Impressive.
I'm pretty sure DKC 1 is still the biggest selling western developed game, that one sold millions.

mjo011 said:
Impressive.
I'm pretty sure DKC 1 is still the biggest selling western developed game, that one sold millions.

even dkc returns did a million, the snes titles did between 2-3m.

jetforcejiminy said:

sounds like a pretty weird set of parameters. clearly it's not the first western title. you should change the title to first western-published title, otherwise the title is indeed inaccurate.

at any rate, it was bound to happen at some point. i'm just glad it wasn't call of duty or sth.

Alright, its fixed.

Its a parameter because the Japanese tend to only buy games developed/published by Japanese companies, western publishers/developers can only find a fraction of the success the Japanese do, something like Crash (the first one especially) wouldn't ve sold nearly as it it did if it hadn't the SCE logo on the box, had it been published by, say, Activision its unlikely it'd sold 300k, that's what makes GTAV success so special.

KyleeStrutt said:
jetforcejiminy said:

Alright, its fixed.

Its a parameter because the Japanese tend to only buy games developed/published by Japanese companies, western publishers/developers can only find a fraction of the success the Japanese do, something like Crash (the first one especially) wouldn't ve sold nearly as it it did if it hadn't the SCE logo on the box, had it been published by, say, Activision its unlikely it'd sold 300k, that's what makes GTAV success so special.

got it. actually i think framing it that way makes it seem like an even bigger accomplishment, no?

Around the Network

The thing is is that Grand Theft Auto V is very western. Donkey Kong Country and Crash Bandicoot were platformers, and platformers were popular in Japan. (Ratchet and Clank was even bundled with the PS2, and Knack - a Japanese game - was bundled with the PS4).

GTAV on the other hand is as western as you get, so for it to be a hit there is amazing. I think many Japanese gamers like the action adventure element of the games.