By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forum Archive: IGDA Japan says many developers are shifting their focus to Wii

Nintendo support is popping up like WiiDS. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

That is an amazing list... Of the non Dec 30/31st (PS3) titles - and there are 6 of them - 4 come from Sony (including HOME as one - not sure how this is a game, as its also free - but hey...). The other 2 are a graphic novel from Chunsoft & Ninja Gaiden (Namco) - a port of a Xbox title (with improvements). That's pretty amazing - if you would have showed me this a year ago, there is no way I would have considered it real. ..... (the other 2 titles - on Dec 30 - are both coming to the 360)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

add onto that there's only been 2 tp games released so far for the Wii that were made with the Wii in mind (RR Rabbits and Red Steel) and both are milion sellers now, it's not suprising that there's companies like Jet Black who can set up themselves and make only Wii games cos of it's mass market appeal, cheap production costs and unique control system that will make wii specific games much more diverse where imagination alone could make a huge Wii hit.

I also predict a lot of small development houses starting up businesses themselves in the future as developers see the Wii as a good opportunity to do that.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Shane said:
Heard that one before. Never actually saw much evidence

More evidence for you, Shane:

Please examine this page: http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=6876&pg=2&comments=

And then this one: http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=6143&pg=2&comments=

These list the total number of exclusive titles for each system. The first list is current, the second is from October, just before the systems were released. The total tally includes both released and unreleased titles (as long as those titles have been officially announced, and aren't vapor ware)

When the systems were released, the PS3 had 46 exclusive titles, and the Wii 53. Very close. At this time, the PS3 has 40 (As in, it has a net loss of 6 exclusive titles since release) and the Wii has 69. At the current pace (around 5 new exclusive titles have been announced for the Wii every month), the Wii will have twice the number of exclusive titles as the PS3 in around two months. Two times the number of exclusive titles.

No one is saying the PS3 is doomed. As many have mentioned, it could pull itself out of its current slump. However, please don't behave as if the slump hasn't effected the developers, because it clearly has.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

"The Wii and DS Will dominate in Japan, but it is still too early to call it anywhere else." ? ? so far wii/ds are dominating the world. wii's are no where to be found. while pokeshlong gives the ds another killer app, like outselling any psp game in one month type of killer app.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

Well, that may be a positive sign for the Wii, but we'll see how good the games are.  So far the PS3 leads 3 to 2 in games that have over 85% rankings on gamerankings.com.  That's Oblivion, Resistance, and VF5 to Zelda and Paper Mario.  Also, most of 360's exclusives are also on the PC.  RTS, FPS, and some others work better on the PC.  We'll see how the rest of the year and 2008 play out.

windbane said:
Well, that may be a positive sign for the Wii, but we'll see how good the games are. So far the PS3 leads 3 to 2 in games that have over 85% rankings on gamerankings.com. That's Oblivion, Resistance, and VF5 to Zelda and Paper Mario. Also, most of 360's exclusives are also on the PC. RTS, FPS, and some others work better on the PC. We'll see how the rest of the year and 2008 play out.

If that is the metric to judge the worth of a console, then I'd have to say both the Wii and PS3 look pretty rubbish, especially compared to the 360, and certainly look downright awful compared to a PC. Three/two games decent enough to play are hardly worth purchasing any console for IMO.

Developers have been too busy focusing on PS2 to worry about PS3, whereas Gamecube was dead and buried years ago. Nice list, though. A bunch of untitled games being released on New Year's Eve.

HappySqurriel said:

If you look at the past 12 to 18 months it becomes obvious why ...

Roughly 18 months ago (at TGS 2005) we were first introduced to the Wiimote. There was a massive polarized reaction as half the people who saw the video proclaimed it the greatest thing ever, and everyone else believed it was Nintendo's doom. The general consensus at this point in time was that Sony was not going to repeat the mistakes of Microsoft produce two SKUs and price their system at the "outrageous" $400. The expectation at this point was that the Revolution would be a Niche product and the PS3 would dominate.

Roughly 12 to 14 months ago Nintendo released the DS Lite, Nintendogs and Brain Age and changed the Japaneese market forever. The DS started selling faster than (practically) every system and moved more games than anyone could imagine; Nintendo expaneded the market beyond what anyone had ever expected.

12 months ago, at E3 2006, the PS3 was announced to cost $500/$600 and everyone was shocked. At the same time the Wii had 6 hour line-ups every day for the opportunity to try the Wii.

6 Months ago both systems were released and, while the Wii sells remarkably quickly the PS3 has sold far below expectations.

It is not surprising after how much has changed to see developers targeting the Wii as compared to the PS3.

Nice time frame thanks for posting

dpmnymkrprez said:
HappySqurriel said:

If you look at the past 12 to 18 months it becomes obvious why ...

Roughly 18 months ago (at TGS 2005) we were first introduced to the Wiimote. There was a massive polarized reaction as half the people who saw the video proclaimed it the greatest thing ever, and everyone else believed it was Nintendo's doom. The general consensus at this point in time was that Sony was not going to repeat the mistakes of Microsoft produce two SKUs and price their system at the "outrageous" $400. The expectation at this point was that the Revolution would be a Niche product and the PS3 would dominate.

Roughly 12 to 14 months ago Nintendo released the DS Lite, Nintendogs and Brain Age and changed the Japaneese market forever. The DS started selling faster than (practically) every system and moved more games than anyone could imagine; Nintendo expaneded the market beyond what anyone had ever expected.

12 months ago, at E3 2006, the PS3 was announced to cost $500/$600 and everyone was shocked. At the same time the Wii had 6 hour line-ups every day for the opportunity to try the Wii.

6 Months ago both systems were released and, while the Wii sells remarkably quickly the PS3 has sold far below expectations.

It is not surprising after how much has changed to see developers targeting the Wii as compared to the PS3.

Nice time frame thanks for posting

I've been reading this forum for a long time, but never actually bothered to reply. I decided to start looking at some old threads and there is a lot of things that didn't turn out the way people thought back then.

This entire thread is a pretty good example of what the mentality was on this site back in 2007. I think that most actual developers would have been able to explain why "shifting focus to wii" wasn't really viable from a technical perspective (if that had happened, we would instead have seen new developers come in and take over the market).

Now we know what happened, and perhaps we can use this information to better judge what the future of video games consoles will be.