By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Wii U sold almost 600k in US with Nintendo not trying hard...

Nogamez said:
AnthonyW86 said:
If i remember correctly Gamecube did 1.16 million in December 2003 in the U.S. So that's almost double what Wii-U did. We will have to wait for shipment data to get a good view on WW.

Yeah but wasnt gamecube like 99 dollars or something? if wii u can get to 10m at current price imagine what it can do at its lowest price point. Once its has its 4 bighitters (smash,zelda u,mk and 3d world) It hopefully should seem more worth it at a cheaper price

That's true but it makes a big difference when in the system's lifecycle the price is cut. Gamecube was in it's  prime when the price was cut even as low as $99. When Wii went to $99 it didn't really matter anymore because interest in the system was pretty much gone.

Around the Network

What's the source? NPD numbers? Do you have a link?

Are these numbers US only and are they confirmed or just estimates or guesses?

If Nintendo released an actual Smash bundle, like with that red and blue flame motif on the smash cover then Wii U could have easily sold another 100-200k in that month.

...stupid Nintendo marketing.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

With a pricecut, bundle, extensive marketing it could have doubled its sales. Nothing they could have done would have allowed it to compete with X1/PS4.

Adding a bundle without making it a special edition wouldn't do a big difference. If it was a customized Wii U the sales could have been higher.

In 2014 Wii U had a way better line-up than it had in 2013. It even had two of the strongest Nintendo franchises to help sell the console (MK and Smash), along with a Mario 3D World bundle.
Yet, all these great games didn't set Wii U on fire (a 30% something increase?).

Those numbers are not good.
If you ask me, i say they tried and still didn't manage to move enough units to make Wii U's future look brighter.

Around the Network

If releasing their two biggest franchises (MK and SSB) in a single year isn't trying hard then....

Not a disaster but not a resounding victory. At this point Nintendo are in it for the profit, and not the marketshare.

Dear lord some people will turn anything into an argument :O