By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else think Bioshock is over-rated?

I thought it was a decent game, but there are games which came before it which did everything it did and more...and better, namely their previous work, Deus Ex, which had an awesome inventory system and REAL decisions which effect how the game ends.

Bioshock is a watered-down FPS RPG for the console crowd because they were judged to be too stupid by Take Two to handle a REAL FPS RPG. The game is ridiculously easy, even on the hardest setting.

And once again, the praise this game receives while vastly superior experiences go unnoticed makes me want to kick someone in the teeth.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but really, people: play Deus Ex from start to finish, then come back and talk about how great Bioshock is.

Let me toss out an example of where they differ and why Deus Ex was so vastly superior...

In Bioshock, even by saving all of the little sisters, you were rewarded with enough adam to get pretty much all of the upgrades, and not that it mattered, either, since the upgrades didn't even affect your playstyle that greatly. So you have all the plasmids you want, having no resulting weaknesses? Too fucking easy.

In contrast, Deus Ex faced the player with finding upgrades which did one of two things, but you only got to chose one. One upgrade allowed you to either upgrade your melee attacks or lift heavier objects, meaning that you could carry large crates into an area and use them as cover.

The point is, you had to actually PICK a play-style and stick with it. Bioshock allows you to use any playstyle you want and allows you to swap plasmids at any time, meaning you can pretty much "reclass" any time you want, which is a terrible idea because it doesn't equate "changing stats" when you're basically just changing weapons.

Let me give you an idea of what Bioshock's upgrade system COULD'VE been, had the Take Two execs not ordered it to be dumbed down:

Imagine you find the "element" plasmid, which allows you to acquire either a fire attack OR an ice attack, but not both. Then, as you upgrade their power (as you did in Deus Ex), each attack would acquire new traits, like an upgraded fire attack would cause enemies killed by it to explode and set nearby enemies on fire, and the upgraded Ice attack would allow you to shatter frozen enemies with your wrench, or allow you to lift them with the telekenetic plasmid and fling them into walls to shatter or fling them into other enemies.

Imagine an "engineering" plasmid which allowed you to upgrade the drone robots you found and enhance them, making them deadlier, and the highest engineering upgrade would allow you to build a robot out of raw materials at any time and maybe even control it remotely.

These are the kinds of decisions you're supposed to MAKE in a FPS RPG, decisions which DRAMATICALLY alter your play-style.

Bioshock is the equivalent of having 500 talent points to spend in WoW, allowing you to have access to all three talent trees and all included talents. The game was just too watered down and as such paled in comparison to the real definition of the genre. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network

Overrated? Are you kidding me? Bioshock is one of the greatest games to be released this generation. To this day it may be the best 360 game out there. I love Bioshock it's one of the few purchases I've made with no regrets.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

I thought it was over-rated. Couldn't get in to it at all... I decided to trade it for Fear Files and it was the best decidion i made.

XGamer0611 said:
Overrated? Are you kidding me? Bioshock is one of the greatest games to be released this generation. To this day it may be the best 360 game out there. I love Bioshock it's one of the few purchases I've made with no regrets.

What makes it great?  To me it looks and plays alot like Prey - which is not all that great. 

I'm probably the last person that would ever love an FPS, but Bioshock delivered big time. It's narrative was just so engrossing. It's by far one of the greatest stories ever told in gaming history. I can't complain about the gameplay, it was better than most first person shooters i've ever played. It had enough variation of weapons and abilities to really make the game play many different ways if you wanted it to. Any game that got as much attention and critical acclaim as Bioshock is always going to be considered overrated by many. It's the nature of the beast. When all is said and done in this console generation, I have no doubts that Bioshock will sit near the top of the best games. It just brought so much to the table presentation and storywise.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

I bought Bio Shock and Metroid Prime 3 on the same day. Maybe that was a mistake, because neither game really got the attention they deserved. I started off in love with Bioshock, but as time passed, I enjoyed it less and less. After about five hours, I put the game back into it's case. I intend to finish it, but I haven't touched it since November. I've finished about 6 other games since then.

sienster said:
XGamer0611 said:

What makes it great? To me it looks and plays alot like Prey - which is not all that great.

The story which is good but I will agree with others that it's hard to follow at times. The graphics are sharp and clear, which, is unusual for 360 games. The fluidity of the game, there is hardly no slow down in Bioshock. The gameplay is perfectly smooth.

I guess that is it. I just liked the game thought it was great. 

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

XGamer0611 said:

Wow.. speak about clouded fanboy judging. while I agree that it is a great game, calling it "one of the greatest games to be released this generation", specially whe this generation is still in its young age seems a bit... nostradamee

Unless of course you meant "one of the greatest games released in this generation SO FAR" in which case I sincerely apoogize and totally agree with ya.

Peace.

Listen to the voice of reason, then do as I say.

I feel like the gameplay is overrated but the storytelling deserves every bit of respect it gets.

I didn't like the demo. I was to scared to finish it.